Black People : Why Can't I Do and Say What I Want - When I Want - Where I Want - How I Want - at Destee.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMeister

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 27, 2013
Baraka was also accused of anti-Semitism, a stance he formally renounced decades ago. But controversy continued to dog Baraka well into his later years, most recently and famously when he was named New Jersey’s second poet laureate in 2002, in the immediate aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks. His poem, "Somebody Blew Up America," spotlighted instances of white aggression around the world and included phrases perceived by some as anti-Semitic. The ensuing controversy led to the elimination of the poet laureate position before Baraka’s two-year tenure was scheduled to end.

I have read more than one supposition over the years that Baraka's words castigating homosexuals was due to his own closeted homosexuality. It's a plausible notion.

I'm no expert on poetry but I thought his "Somebody Blew Up America" poem was hyperbolic nonsense. However, when you fire someone (which is what it effectively did when the New Jersey legislature abolished the poet laureate position) you have to pay off his contract. The should have just paid him his money.

I respect that he was a writer who continued to evolve his entire life.

A man accused of being anti-Semitic who dies at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center. Now that's --pardon the pun--poetic justice.

KM

I have read more than one supposition over the years that Baraka's words castigating homosexuals was due to his own closeted homosexuality. It's a plausible notion.

I'm no expert on poetry but I thought his "Somebody Blew Up America" poem was hyperbolic nonsense. However, when you fire someone (which is what it effectively did when the New Jersey legislature abolished the poet laureate position) you have to pay off his contract. The should have just paid him his money.

A man accused of being anti-Semitic who dies at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center. Now that's --pardon the pun--poetic justice.

KM

STFU! please!

KMeister wrote:

STFU! please!

LOL! Love the intelligent discourse among our people.

I confess I wasn't a fan of the deceased gentleman's style of poetry. Putting down others and conspiracy rants are no way to "uplift the race" (an old style expression). Also, the suspicion that Baraka might have been a closeted homosexual is certainly worth considering, given his virulently anti-gay words.

Unfortunately for some people who reach a level of fame, a few ill-chosen words or deeds based on carelessness, hubris or whatever can besmirch a reputation forever. Richard Nixon will be forever known for Watergate, Bill Clinton for Monica Lewinsky, Michael Jackson for allegedly touching little boys...The list is almost endless. The "Somebody Blew Up America" fiasco will forever define Baraka, along with his other accomplishments.

KM

KMeister wrote:

I confess I wasn't a fan of the deceased gentleman's style of poetry. Putting down others and conspiracy rants are no way to "uplift the race" (an old style expression). Also, the suspicion that Baraka might have been a closeted homosexual is certainly worth considering, given his virulently anti-gay words.

Unfortunately for some people who reach a level of fame, a few ill-chosen words or deeds based on carelessness, hubris or whatever can besmirch a reputation forever. Richard Nixon will be forever known for Watergate, Bill Clinton for Monica Lewinsky, Michael Jackson for allegedly touching little boys...The list is almost endless. The "Somebody Blew Up America" fiasco will forever define Baraka, along with his other accomplishments.

KM

well since you do not have the class to shut up about a black person who has transited i will put you on 'ignore'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back