Black People : What Cultural Rituals do black people need to create? (brainstorming session)

As far as blogging is concerned, I got one link in my signature and u will soon update that blog with my other sites which are under construction. I have one in particular which I am going to use for this project as soon as I can get myself focused. I get some interesting traffic from places such as Brazil, Russia and Italy. That has to do with some of my early posts and links involving the study of Ifa. Blogs can be a good indicator of not only who is "lurking" but the primary interests if your readership.

As far as blogging is concerned, I got one link in my signature and u will soon update that blog with my other sites which are under construction. I have one in particular which I am going to use for this project as soon as I can get myself focused. I get some interesting traffic from places such as Brazil, Russia and Italy. That has to do with some of my early posts and links involving the study of Ifa. Blogs can be a good indicator of not only who is "lurking" but the primary interests if your readership.

I'm following your blkrootsworker blog now (as of today).. it's looking good. I gotta get my sites and blogs together.. I have like 7 or 8 domain names registered.. I've always had a server on the web.. I have a bunch of blogs also.. all kinds of scattered content from over the years.. I gotta pull it all together.. see what it looks like. This might be the year I get serious about my nonfiction writing..

I'm following your blkrootsworker blog now (as of today).. it's looking good. I gotta get my sites and blogs together.. I have like 7 or 8 domain names registered.. I've always had a server on the web.. I have a bunch of blogs also.. all kinds of scattered content from over the years.. I gotta pull it all together.. see what it looks like. This might be the year I get serious about my nonfiction writing..

Sounds good. If you read through my "rootworker" you will see that I use it to post related material in its entirety rather than in "abstract" form. I also have several more including one on Wordpress which at some point I intend to use to share some poetry and less formal narratives and essays. You are a gifted writer. Let me know when you have your sites ready. I will check you out and include you on my blog roll.

Peace....gotta get my sleep on.

This is a brainstorming session.. it's about just presenting your ideas..

Every group of people need rituals to commemorate important events and happenings and to communicate important ideas and information to the next generation.. Black folks in america are no different.

One of the weaknesses of cultural criticism aimed at black folks is that many suggest that we abstain from participating in traditional american cultural rituals like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Halloween, etc.. but they seldom have any suggestions for what to fill the voids created by the proposed abstinence. And also, I happen believe that their are certain pitfalls involved with defining your cultural traditions in terms of what you "don't" do.. ie.. we don't celebrate christmas.. we don't do thanksgiving.. etc... The communication of what you don't do includes the thing you don't do... and so you are spreading the negative ritual along with the positive.. So, in the spirit of postively defining our own cultural rituals under the umbrella of defining our own cultural aspirations, I have a couple of questions..

What American cultural rituals.. major and minor.. should black people replace (ie.. Christmas.. Halloween.. Easter.. BET Awards.. etc.. ).. and what should they replace them with?

Because abstaining while the entire society around you is particpating takes a tremendous amount of effort.. and it can lead to a feeling of cultural impoverishment.. where the kids feel like, "man.. we don't get to do nothing"... or "we don't never do nothing".. So.. all that said, what rituals do black people need to create? And when should they be held? And why?

^^

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back