Pan Africanism : Were the Moors Black?

African Prince

What people were inhabiting North Africa ( specifically present day Morroco and western Algeria- the location of ancient MAURitania ) in the 7th century? There were definatly some Black Moors but was Tariq ibn Ziyad a Black man? He was a Berber and the only Black Berbers I know of are the Tuareg. I haven't been keeping up with this thread, forgive me
Before the arrival of the Arabs, North Africa was made up primarily of white Berbers who lived in cities along the coasts and nomadic Black tribes who dwelled in the interior.

If Tariq was a Berber, then I seriously doubt if he was Black....especially during that time.

Later on after centuries of Islam the Arabs, Blacks, and Berbers all mixed among eachother and you had varying colors of all.

Today you have jet Black Berbers, as well as White Arabs because in Eastern tradition....you're whatever race your father is and not your mother regardless of how you look.

Dual Karnayn said:
African Prince

Before the arrival of the Arabs, North Africa was made up primarily of white Berbers who lived in cities along the coasts and nomadic Black tribes who dwelled in the interior.

If Tariq was a Berber, then I seriously doubt if he was Black....especially during that time.

Later on after centuries of Islam the Arabs, Blacks, and Berbers all mixed among eachother and you had varying colors of all.

Today you have jet Black Berbers, as well as White Arabs because in Eastern tradition....you're whatever race your father is and not your mother regardless of how you look.

You said that "If AfroAmericans are considered Black then the Moors were Black." but weren't the original Moors mostly Berbers from ancient MAURitania ( western Algeria and Morroco ) and some Arabs? If I'm not mistaken, Tariq ibn Ziyad was the leader of the Moor invasion of Iberia in the 7th century, and he was a Berber.

African Prince

You said that "If AfroAmericans are considered Black then the Moors were Black." but weren't the original Moors mostly Berbers from ancient MAURitania ( western Algeria and Morroco ) and some Arabs? If I'm not mistaken, Tariq ibn Ziyad was the leader of the Moor invasion of Iberia in the 7th century, and he was a Berber.
I said that in my first post, I'm not sure if you just now read it but yes....if AfroAmericans are considered Black even though we vary from tan all the way to jet Black...then the Moors were definately Black.

The original Moors weren't Berbers, they were Black African nomads who converted to Islam.

Berbers were a separate race of people all together who lived in the same regions.

Mauritania, Algeria, Morroco.....I believe (but I'm not sure) were all names for the nations were created AFTER the Moors were expelled from Europe after centuries of rulership....not before.

Dual Karnayn said:
African Prince

I said that in my first post, I'm not sure if you just now read it but yes....if AfroAmericans are considered Black even though we vary from tan all the way to jet Black...then the Moors were definately Black.

The original Moors weren't Berbers, they were Black African nomads who converted to Islam.

Berbers were a separate race of people all together who lived in the same regions.

Mauritania, Algeria, Morroco.....I believe (but I'm not sure) were all names for the nations were created AFTER the Moors were expelled from Europe after centuries of rulership....not before.

"The original Moors weren't Berbers, they were Black African nomads who converted to Islam."

This is where we seperate all together, I'm not saying I know without a shadow of a doubt but everything I have to work with doesn't prove the original/conquering Moors were Black and I don't need them, there were already great African civilizations like Nubia, Songhay, Ghana, Mali, ZImbabwe, the Swahili empires etc. so I wouldn'y claim them unless I knew they were Black. Or you could say I'm playing devils advocate, as far as I know the only Black Berbers are the Tuareg and the only people to inhabit North West Africa or the Maghrib are Berbers and as far as I know the only N.African countries the Tuareg are found is southern Algeria and southwestern Libya and ancient Mauritania was found in Morroco/western Algeria. I thought the Moor invasion of Spain was an Arab/Berber collaboration and Arabs have always been prejudiced towards Africans, I could be wrong.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back