Pan Africanism : Were the Moors Black?

Kinda late.... Moor is a latin term for dark, or a person with obvious African admixture. Hence the term Morena. Latinos refer to me as that all the time. I tell them I'm Black, but they disagree, because I have a medium brown tone, and Amerindian features. The original Moors were called Black-A-Moors. The prefix was dropped. If you look at early Spanish/Portuguese paintings, you'll see more than a few African looking men in Spanish garb. The Moors were eventually chased out of Spain after 700 years. The Spaniards feared retaliation, and started a symbolic ritual- Running of the Bulls. To this very day SOME Spanish are dissatisfied with their melinated features, they were mainly Blonde/Blue prior to the Moors rule. You'll see a lot of 'explorers' with a tan, curly hair, and dark features. The moors originated from North and West Africa. This dispells the myth that only Arabs own the northern section of Africa:read: A few of these Moors went to the Americas, along with whites to discover. Of course, as history goes, the lighter ones did not consider themselves Black-self-hate. So the myth of Latinos being solely Mestizo........I don't buy it, not to mention the half-Black Aztecs, Mayas, and Incas.................Don't believe me?.............Explain a BROWN Indian!!!! Black+Red=Brown:?:

AWESOME....

jamesfrmphilly said:
you should see the actual painting! it glows!
it will knock you to your knees.

black people have been trafficking in this image all of my life.
that shows me that we have long responded to a positive and uplifting image of ourselves.
as a boy, i always felt this image was my alter ego.
it taught me all i needed to know about my people.

i love it.

We tried to go see it on our last visit to Philly a couple years ago when we were in town for Chaka Fattah's annual conference but it was raining cats & dogs :rain: that day and we would have had to park several blocks away from the museum. So we drove :car: across the border to that fabulous aquarium in New Jersey instead. But I definitely intend to see that original
painting some day !

Help!

Hello people! Firslty let me say that this is one great site!

Basically im just discovering my own African roots, and need some help. From what Ive been told, despite the detail been kinda sketcy at times I think that my ancestors where from North Africa. I can pretty much confirm my ancestors where from Africa but the charecteritics of my family are in key with North Africans particually the moors. But alas I am confused! This came from the fact that I thought my ancestory was berber-arab. But now I have read that the moors where black! Im confused now! ahhhhhhhh! What where the moors? Am I right to think my ancestory is just berber-arab or is there another element to it? Or is it that the moors where orgianly black Africans but more modern ones are now berber-arab? Please help me I really am opening a new door to my own heritage and am confused.

Thanks people!

Moor said:
Hello people! Firslty let me say that this is one great site!

Basically im just discovering my own African roots, and need some help. From what Ive been told, despite the detail been kinda sketcy at times I think that my ancestors where from North Africa. I can pretty much confirm my ancestors where from Africa but the charecteritics of my family are in key with North Africans particually the moors. But alas I am confused! This came from the fact that I thought my ancestory was berber-arab. But now I have read that the moors where black! Im confused now! ahhhhhhhh! What where the moors? Am I right to think my ancestory is just berber-arab or is there another element to it? Or is it that the moors where orgianly black Africans but more modern ones are now berber-arab? Please help me I really am opening a new door to my own heritage and am confused.

Thanks people!

Moor ... Hello and Welcome ... :wave:

I don't have the answers to your questions, but i'm sure someone in the Family can help! I'm glad you like our home, as it is yours now too! Please consider Becoming a Premium Member, as we need the help to keep it alive!

We also have voice and video chat ... be sure to check it out!

Remember, make yourself at home, because you are.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back