Black People : The 7 Layers of Division in Black America

Very good point, we were monolithic when it came to electing Mr. Obama.

Also, if we ever wrap our heads around Reparations, it too will be a unifying catalyst for Black people, regardless of our differences.

Definitely, no disagreements there.

And, the recent killing of our unarmed youth is forcing us to lay down any petty differences, too.

We are more united today than we were ten years ago.

Definitely, no disagreements there.

And, the recent killing of our unarmed youth is forcing us to lay down any petty differences, too.

We are more united today than we were ten years ago.

Exactly, we touch and agree my sister friend.

that seventies-era unity age saw those same "7 layers of division." ... and at any time in the future, we will have those same differences within our ranks. "unity" doesn't mean "automatons." i don't want a million of "me" running round, thinking i know everything. it is those differences that make us strong.

but, when talking about those things that tear us down, i've found that the thing highest on MY LIST is our--this generation of Mr. Bigg types--need to be the baddest thing around. it prevents the concept of a village raising a child...when you'd rather shoot me, than allow me to help guide your child, or listen to my criticism of your child's action. it prevents our coming together to solve a common problem...because your view becomes the only view that counts. it prevents our uniting against a common foe...because you're malcolm and i'm martin...and never the two shall meet.

i could get into how i believe we got to that point--drugs, our youth's desire to live up to the hype of rap videos, self hating, etc--but it doesn't matter. the question is "how do we get out of it?" THAT, i have no answer for. however, we should not discount the power of our effect on an individual...and the cascade effect that can take place.

we should always live our lives as if we're teachers in a class room, with a bunch of eyes on us. children tend to immitate the behavior of grown ups. if we give them a good example, some of them will follow it.

that seventies-era unity age saw those same "7 layers of division." ... and at any time in the future, we will have those same differences within our ranks. "unity" doesn't mean "automatons." i don't want a million of "me" running round, thinking i know everything. it is those differences that make us strong.

On point

but, when talking about those things that tear us down, i've found that the thing highest on MY LIST is our--this generation of Mr. Bigg types--need to be the baddest thing around.

Hmmm

it prevents the concept of a village raising a child...

Oh my

when you'd rather shoot me, than allow me to help guide your child, or listen to my criticism of your child's action.

But maybe I or you aren't the parties they need or want to hear from

it prevents our coming together to solve a common problem...

because your view becomes the only view that counts.

Not always true

it prevents our uniting against a common foe...

Real life and real people are influenced by things we may know nothing or little about

because you're malcolm and i'm martin...and never the two shall meet.

An idealized take on past black leaders we give props to

More realistic to peep who the rest us believe deserve to lead us anywhere these days

i could get into how i believe we got to that point--drugs, our youth's desire to live up to the hype of rap videos, self hating, etc--but it doesn't matter. the question is "how do we get out of it?"

Just admitting all of above is a first step forward again

One thump up

however, we should not discount the power of our effect on an individual...and the cascade effect that can take place.

I also agree with that as well

we should always live our lives as if we're teachers in a class room, with a bunch of eyes on us.

Another good point

children tend to immitate the behavior of grown ups.

Generally speaking oh too true

if we give them a good example, some of them will follow it.

Two thumbs up

fyi

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back