Black People : Remembering the 1968 King Riots That Set DC On Fire (Footage in True HD)

:eek: DEAD @ Micheal Jackson and his brothers were the ones who brought the bush to mainstream Black America after their 1969 Ed Sullivan debut, when they introduced the song, "I Want You Back".

No. My people were wearing an Afro while watching Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five on the Ed Sullivan Show. They were the Jackson Five at that time. If I'm reading correctly you're saying Michael Jackson wore the Afro before Angela Davis, the Black Panthers, and a host of other black folk.
I know the afro wasn't the main topic. But you said something in this post that an ex-member in my "The truth about the Afro (The Bush)" thread refused to acknowledge for some reason. You acknowledge we called the afro the "bush". Hearing her was like hearing a 10 year-old trying to tell her father Bill was never another name for William, and her father is named William. She even challenged me to a poll. But before I accepted that challenge, a few brothers gave her hints that she may not have been correct. But sometimes, when somebody is that wrong, you just have to tell them when their zipper is down, forget the hints.

I bring this up, because I had a homie from out of town swing through last week. I asked him what was the first name for the afro. Sometimes a question can be so easy, you can't even answer it correctly...and he couldn't. He said the fro. When I said the bush, he was like, "why wasn't that the first thing I said?". As much as we ran the streets together, we both automatically knew the bush was the street name. It wasn't just the street name, it was the normal walk around name, whether indoors or outdoors. The afro was more a commercial name. You'd hear fro before you'd hear afro...and that was mostly by the brothers. But if he would have said we never called it the bush at all, I would have been calling the happy wagon for him.

Even you yourself may a say they called it the afro or fro before the bush where you're from. If so, we can still agree that they did call it the bush.

Last edited:
We have learned much from our past.

Before 'afro' came the 'natural' ...

I. e., both were and are more than just symbols, did and do reflect a rise of social/political consciousness, whereas most of what I come across these days, are regressions and retreats from a rise of truly progressive images, etc.

FYI

I know the afro wasn't the main topic. But you said something in this post that an ex-member in my "The truth about the Afro (The Bush)" thread refused to acknowledge for some reason. You acknowledge we called the afro the "bush". Hearing her was like hearing a 10 year-old trying to tell her father Bill was never another name for William, and her father is named William. She even challenged me to a poll. But before I accepted that challenge, a few brothers gave her hints that she may not have been correct. But sometimes, when somebody is that wrong, you just have to tell them when their zipper is down, forget the hints.

I bring this up, because I had a homie from out of town swing through last week. I asked him what was the first name for the afro. Sometimes a question can be so easy, you can't even answer it correctly...and he couldn't. He said the fro. When I said the bush, he was like, "why wasn't that the first thing I said?". As much as we ran the streets together, we both automatically knew the bush was the street name. It wasn't just the street name, it was the normal walk around name, whether indoors or outdoors. The afro was more a commercial name. You'd hear fro before you'd hear afro...and that was mostly by the brothers. But if he would have said we never called it the bush at all, I would have been calling the happy wagon for him.

Even you yourself may a say they called it the afro or fro before the bush where you're from. If so, we can at least agree that they did call it the bush.

What the Cos and others had you and others misled to believe:

A return to 'peaceful co-existence' remains possible, in the eras of whites so called wars on drugs and/or their wars on worldwide terrorism...

Instead, Bush Senior 'drew a line in the sand', and Junior did say 'You're either for us...or...'!

Me:

No sir, boss!

There are no easy and quick solutions to what are complex issues/problems/etc.

I. e., much of what some of you are choosing to believe, (by the way of the mass media), just isn't the truth...

Anything and everything is based on true research etc.

Nothing gained if nothing's truly being risked...

Though speaking up and out is a start...

And it's all real...

In all cases: Do your best!

Good luck and best wishes...

FYI

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back