Black People : Remembering the 1968 King Riots That Set DC On Fire (Footage in True HD)

Do you consider separation from the U.S. an option?

The history of our peoples exile reveals much about the past and present plight of Africa, so we just have to do the best we can, here and wherever African folk wound up, by chance or by choice...All we can and should do is demand our rightful place among worldwide humanity...Some of us here know our ancestors history etc., let us be a positive reflection of it...Even some things even the most conservative of black leaders up to Obama can't just deny and also we need to keep in mind, at this late date, aka 2015....

FYI

Notable that Obama came to the aid of two nations founded to solve the 'race problem' in the states etc., (aka where former enslaved Africans were returned to), and even he openly complained about the lack of worldwide support, at the height of the Obola crisis...

We also have to be more adult etc., as regards any serious criticisms of his past or present policies, judge him on the basis our his merits, not expect him to be another King Jr. or Malcolm, etc.

Let's do keep it real, since he is the first (might be the last) black man in the White House...

FYI

It's beginning to sound a little like you want to find a reason to say you're older and knew something I didn't. You can add to what I said, but you're not going to take away from anything I said about the impact Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five had on the Afro in this country. His impact sent the afro coast to coast. I already gave credit to the Panthers and Angela Davis as the originators of the afro, and I tried to agree with most of what you said as far as females (and I guess males too) wearing the hairstyle in the midwest or your part of the country. However the video I posted of the 1968 Dr. King Riots in the middle of my old neighborhood indicates that the Afro didn't reach D.C. (Chocolate City) because I saw neither male or female sporting one in that video, just like I remembered when I was living there, therefore it hadn't yet went coast to coast in 1968...and most of the people in that video were probably either your age or older. I hope you're not trying to say that every Black city in the U.S., and including the South, was already wearing the afro during this time except D.C. Why you're trying to argue this I don't know, but perhaps we should just agree to disagree on this one too.

By the way, the reason I made that thread on the Afro in the first place was to reminisce with some of the old timers about the extremes we use to go through to keep the Afro, not for a shootout on who knew most about the hairstyle, like that former member tried to turn that thread in to.

I re watched the video a couple more times, and see what you're referring to. I only saw one male afro in the video. You could be right about the popularity of the afro in 1968. Something to think about. i don't think as many males wore the afro as woman, when the style did become popular.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back