Omowale Jabali : Jesus was NOT Crucified!

Do you believe Jesus was Crucified?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Omowale Jabali

The Cosmic Journeyman
REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 29, 2005
Temple of Kali, Yubaland
Occupation
Creative Industrialist
A Swedish theologian has claimed that Jesus may not have have been crucified as there is no evidence to indicate that the Romans crucified prisoners 2,000 years ago.

According to Gunnar Samuelsson of Gothenburg University, the story of Jesus' execution is based on Christian traditions and artistic illustrations, not antique texts, according to a recently published doctoral thesis entitled "Crucifixion in Antiquity - An Inquiry into the Background of the New Testament Terminology of Crucifixion".

Samuelsson, a committed Christian, alleges the Bible has been misinterpreted, saying there are no explicit references to the use of nails or to crucifixion - only that Jesus bore a "staurus" towards Calvary, which can also mean "pole," his research states.

Samuelsson 400-page thesis is based on close study of the original texts and was submitted at the university last month.

"The problem is descriptions of crucifixions are remarkably absent in the antique literature," Samuelsson said in an interview with the UK Daily Telegraph. "The sources where you would expect to find support for the established understanding of the event really don't say anything."

Ancient Greek, Latin and Hebrew literature from Homer to the first century describe a number of suspension punishments, but none mention "crosses" or "crucifixion."

"Consequently, the contemporary understanding of crucifixion as a punishment is severely challenged," Samuelsson told the newspaper. "And what's even more challenging is the same can be concluded about the accounts of the crucifixion of Jesus. The New Testament doesn't say as much as we'd like to believe."

There is little evidence to suggest that Jesus was left to die after being nailed to a cross, both in ancient pre-Christian and extra-Biblical literature as well as the Bible.

http://www.thelocal.se/27480/20100628/

s
A Swedish theologian has claimed that Jesus may not have have been crucified as there is no evidence to indicate that the Romans crucified prisoners 2,000 years ago.

According to Gunnar Samuelsson of Gothenburg University, the story of Jesus' execution is based on Christian traditions and artistic illustrations, not antique texts, according to a recently published doctoral thesis entitled "Crucifixion in Antiquity - An Inquiry into the Background of the New Testament Terminology of Crucifixion".

Samuelsson, a committed Christian, alleges the Bible has been misinterpreted, saying there are no explicit references to the use of nails or to crucifixion - only that Jesus bore a "staurus" towards Calvary, which can also mean "pole," his research states.

Samuelsson 400-page thesis is based on close study of the original texts and was submitted at the university last month.

"The problem is descriptions of crucifixions are remarkably absent in the antique literature," Samuelsson said in an interview with the UK Daily Telegraph. "The sources where you would expect to find support for the established understanding of the event really don't say anything."

Ancient Greek, Latin and Hebrew literature from Homer to the first century describe a number of suspension punishments, but none mention "crosses" or "crucifixion."

"Consequently, the contemporary understanding of crucifixion as a punishment is severely challenged," Samuelsson told the newspaper. "And what's even more challenging is the same can be concluded about the accounts of the crucifixion of Jesus. The New Testament doesn't say as much as we'd like to believe."

There is little evidence to suggest that Jesus was left to die after being nailed to a cross, both in ancient pre-Christian and extra-Biblical literature as well as the Bible.

http://www.thelocal.se/27480/20100628/[/quote]

sigh

30 years ago, I was in a pitched scriptural debate over this very topic with some JWs. I asked a Greek professor if the translation of the Septugant scripture was accurate in describing the circumstances of the crucifixtion. He stated, that depending on the region the condemned carried a cross or a pole. But, they were all nailed to a cross. I asked him how could he know for sure. His respnse, "They crucified Greeks well before they got to the Jews. That was the way it was done!"

I know that there are people here who are tired of these kinds of 'religious' posts, which can become highly contentious. I initially came to this site nine years ago after browsing some web sites and believe that I found Destee after frequenting a site known as Afronet. This was around the same time as I was a regular on other sites such as Blackplanet and AOL Voices, which were very contentious.

I have shared before some of the realities of my early upbringing. Catholocism and Islam on one side, Southern Baptist on the other. This accounts for my knowledge, through early exposure of and participation within, of various 'faiths' as well as an interest in Black SPIRITUALITY and Religious PHILOSOPHY, as opposed to "religion" which implies a religious HIERARCHY, which historically I find oppressive.

Therefore, the topic is this thread, constructed as a personal statement, rather than a question, is an ideation which has occupied my thought process for along time. It is indicative of the 'Spiritual Divide' that runs deep is our families and in our respective communities.

This 'Divide' is deep and hopefully some of us will be able t find common round and move forward, in the best interests of our posterity.
There are some who will deny our spiritual divisions, but until we come into agreement on this, as well as many other issues, our progress as a 'race' or 'nation' of BLACK PEOPLE will be limited.

The issue of the crucifixion and death of Jesus (Isa) is important to Muslims as they believe that Jesus will return before the end of time. Muslims believe Jesus was not crucified, but was raised bodily to heaven by God.
Depending on the interpretation of the following verse, Muslim scholars have abstracted different opinions. Some believe that in the Biblical account, Jesus' crucifixion did not last long enough for him to die, while others opine that God gave someone Jesus' appearance, causing everyone to believe that Jesus was crucified. A third explanation could be that Jesus was nailed to a cross, but as his body is immortal he did not "die" or was not "crucified" [to death]; it only appeared so. In opposition to the second and third foregoing proposals, yet others maintain that God does not use deceit and therefore they contend that crucifixion just did not occur. The basis of all of these beliefs is the following verse in the Qur'an:

That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-​
Nay, Allah raised him up unto Himself; and Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise;-​
—Qur'an, sura 4 (An-Nisa) ayat 157-158[1]
Most Muslims believe Jesus was raised to heaven alive by God. However, a small minority of Islamic scholars, mainly Ahmadi Muslim scholars (considered non-Muslims by Orthodox Muslims), argue that he was indeed rescued but died before his ascension.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_view_of_Jesus'_death

I voted 'Undecided' in the poll above because I am not sure of which account to believe. This is why I also do NOT OPENLY identify as a 'Christian' or a 'Muslim'. I agree with tenets of both 'religions' but until the 'religious hierarchies' reach consensus on this point, i will remain Undecided and will not allow myself to have one side use me against the other. However, I do admit that I am leaning towards the Islamic view at this stage of my life.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back