Black History : Why We Must Continue To Recognize Black History Month

image.jpeg

CANCELLED

image.jpeg
WHY I’M OVER BLACK “HISTORY” MONTH
February 2, 2015 · by blackmillennials · in Black Futures Month, Culture and Society. ·

Black History Month is like medicine; it’s good for you, but I’m not keen on taking it. So I’m over it. For many reasons. Here’s a few.

1. Black History Month has been thoroughly streamlined.

In its current position, Black History Month is diluted because it’s streamlined. Picture a factory assembly line; massive machines putting parts together with little finesse, thought, or craftsmanship. That’s exactly what Black History Month is, in its current state. A little MLK here, a little Harriet Tubman there. It’s no longer nurtured through anecdotal storytelling redolent of Black survival. It’s no longer a means of historical, familial connection. Instead, it’s awkwardly conjoined together with little consideration because it’s easier that way.

Why I'm Over BlackHistoryMonth | Black Millennials
blackmillennials.com/2015/02/02/why-im-over-black-history-month/ -

What Is the Purpose of Black History Month? A Roundtable

Jason Parham

n 1976, when Black History Month was officially acknowledged by the U.S. government, President Gerald Ford gave a (very brief) speech. "In celebrating Black History Month, we can take satisfaction from this recent progress in the realization of the ideals envisioned by our Founding Fathers.," Ford said. "But, even more than this, we can seize the opportunity to honor the too-often neglected accomplishments of black Americans in every area of endeavor throughout our history." Almost 40 years since Ford's remarks, the belief that Black History Month is used as a time to "honor the too-often neglected accomplishments" of blacks that have helped better shape America is only partially true.

What Is the Purpose of Black History Month? A Roundtable - Gawker
gawker.com/what-is-the-purpose-of-black-history-month-a-roundtabl-1687089783 - 438k - Cached

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Chevron Dove wrote on cherryblossom's profile.
Sis Cherryblossom,
hoping that you are at peace where ever you may be.
Back