Black History : The Netherlands Paid Reparations For Slavery...

Aluku

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 9, 2012
Yes indeed. The Netherlands in 1863, paid reparations for slavery in Suriname...

...They paid it to the slave owners!

The slave owners got 300 Dutch guilders per slave, which adjusted for inflation, comes to about $2600.00 per slave.

Many plantations had between 100 and 300 slaves, and some plantation owners owned more than one plantation.

In total there were an estimated 33000 slaves in 1863.

So the total "reparations" sum, which was actually a reimbursement from the Netherlands' govenment to the slave owners came to $85,800,000.00

So what did the slaves get? They got to work 10 more years on the same plantations, but now with "pay". It was peanuts.

What else did the slaves get?

Nothing.

Just to let you know what was going on in another part of the world.

BTW no official apology ever let alone reparations. Personally I'm not looking for reparations, but an official apology would be welcomed, not that I'm holding my breath for that.

Yes indeed. The Netherlands in 1863, paid reparations for slavery in Suriname...

...They paid it to the slave owners!

The slave owners got 300 Dutch guilders per slave, which adjusted for inflation, comes to about $2600.00 per slave.

Many plantations had between 100 and 300 slaves, and some plantation owners owned more than one plantation.

In total there were an estimated 33000 slaves in 1863.

So the total "reparations" sum, which was actually a reimbursement from the Netherlands' govenment to the slave owners came to $85,800,000.00

So what did the slaves get? They got to work 10 more years on the same plantations, but now with "pay". It was peanuts.

What else did the slaves get?

Nothing.

Just to let you know what was going on in another part of the world.

BTW no official apology ever let alone reparations. Personally I'm not looking for reparations, but an official apology would be welcomed, not that I'm holding my breath for that.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing ...

They got a celebration of a "black man"... "Black Peter"

u2012-Tor-Dec-Sinterclaus-Bata-003.jpg

black_zwartepiet.jpg

black-peter-3-620.jpg

141116112601-01-black-pete-1116-story-top.jpg

Not sure how this so called "black man overseer" on the right got caught up in handling this protester, that was protesting the publicly sanctioned display of "black face".

Look at the onlookers in the background, as if they are saying "why is he getting so worked up about this, everyone is having a jolly good time".

1289834911-sinterklaas--saint-nicholas-arrives-in-amsterdam-with-black-pete_508480.jpg

black-pete-santa-2012-e1354653586302.jpeg

But take another look...
Black-Pete-Amsterdam-008.jpg

sinterklaas_black_pete.jpg

baby-met-piet.jpg

These children look bewildered

Netherlands' way of reparations, supporting and honoring "black history".
(sarcasm)

They swear up and down, with a straight face that they are not racist. It is interesting to know that the longest segregation in the world in South Africa, was controlled by the Dutch(descendants). The language of South Africa, Afrikaans, is Dutch and Apartheid means, SEGREGATION in Dutch. But never mind all this because after all they are not racist. No sir. No way.

... So the total "reparations" sum, which was actually a reimbursement from the Netherlands' govenment to the slave owners came to $85,800,000.00

So what did the slaves get? They got to work 10 more years on the same plantations, but now with "pay". It was peanuts ...

Is there any proof available that those slaves were given pay or peanuts as you say?

Actual
Is there any proof available that those slaves were given pay or peanuts as you say?

Actual proof is hard to come by. But there are estimates.

The planters would not lose on labor. This meant that they paid the same in wages as it would normally cost them to keep/maintain a slave.

It is estimated that a freed slave was paid between 3 and 4 guilders per week. I'm not sure about that because according to some sources, many of these freed slaves still left the plantations even though they were obliged by the Govt. to work another 10 years with pay.

That is why the Netherlands started luring guest workers from, China, Java and India to come work in Suriname. The promised them a lot and delivered nothing. Their work condition were horrible as well. Most of these gust workers ended up staying because they couldn't afford the trip back home, which was by design.

But today all the descendants of slaves and guest workers alike are proud to call themselves Surinamese.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back