African Traditional Religion : Ogun

Could be several factors. Perhaps More Yoruba that were caught in the web of the slave trade came from Ogun areas. Perhaps there were more Ogun worshippers than Osoosi ones in Africa at the time. Perhaps, since Osoosi is a hunter and Ogun a hunter, Ogun was the more popular hunter. For example, in the Ogun pot we keep an Osoosi. So many figure they don't need an Osoosi pot. Perhaps the slaves of the carribean and brazil, turned to warrior Orisa like Sango and Ogun because of their situation. Remember ogun is the protector of the outcast, the poor and the powerless. Osoosi is more related to healing.
But Osoosi, symbolized by the bow and arrow, shows us the quickest path from a to z. the quickest path to destiny, elevation, etc. he "shoots straight."

This is deep, because I seldom come across anyone that acknowledge Osoosi.

Why is this?

O.K., you are coming from within the Cuban manifestation of the Yoruba religion. I wasn't sure. It doesn't matter to me personally, but there are some differences in interpretation between cuban Lucumi and Yoruba. Cubans have different paths or "caminos" for Orisa. In Yorubaland, Onile is the spirit of the earth and is the female aspect of Ogun. Like Oya is the female aspect of Sango, etc.
are you sure you got it correct that Ogun Alagwede is the oldest (in the Lucumi system)? Forging metal is a relatively new technology.

alafia

Ogun Alagwede:

This Ogun is the Oldest. He is the Ogun that knows the secrets of forging metals. This path of Ogun is hard working and he does not rest until he gets the job done. When Alagwade comes down he mimics the act of forging the metal on top of his anvil.

Ogun Arere:

This Ogun knows the secret of metal. He is a warrior and cuts through the tall grasses to conquer what needs to be conquered. Accompanied by Ochoosi and Elegua to look for game to hunt. Arere loves to drink and battled Shango on certain occasions. He know the woods profoundly and knows its secrets.

Ogun Chibiriki:

This Ogun's rage makes him a great ferocious warrior. This path of Ogun is always in battle for his children and does not rest. Chibiriki has many machetes and knives under his belt that he uses to slice and dice at his enemies. He loves to see blood shed from his enemies. He loves to drink. It is said that when this path of Ogun comes to the land you have to be careful not to have any knives around for he will grab one and begin to make cuts on himself to show that he is in battle.

Ogun Onile:

He is one of the youngest paths of Ogun. This path loves to drink and dance in all occasions. Onile is able to run swiftly through the woods and attack his enemy without them even noticing his approach. Onile is very fast with his machete. When Onile comes to the earth, he dances and mimics the action of cutting through the tall shrubs.

Ogun Ode:

He is the path that walks with Ochoosi to bring justice and hunt to mankind. Ogun Ode is always in hunt with Ochoosi looking for game to hunt. He is very swift with his actions and he has a hard hand when it comes to justice.

Ogun Oke:

Owner of the forest. This path knows every inch of the forest. The beginning and the end alongside with every plant and animal that grows in it.

Ogun Meji:

This Ogun takes everything double. He walks around swaying machetes in both hands. He is a great warrior and is fond of battles. Everything you give him should be in doube forms. You just cant give him 1 machete you must give him two.

Ogun Alada:

This path is said to be one that fights alongside Yemoya when she is at her warrior stage.

Ase

Could be several factors. Perhaps More Yoruba that were caught in the web of the slave trade came from Ogun areas. Perhaps there were more Ogun worshippers than Osoosi ones in Africa at the time. Perhaps, since Osoosi is a hunter and Ogun a hunter, Ogun was the more popular hunter. For example, in the Ogun pot we keep an Osoosi. So many figure they don't need an Osoosi pot. Perhaps the slaves of the carribean and brazil, turned to warrior Orisa like Sango and Ogun because of their situation. Remember ogun is the protector of the outcast, the poor and the powerless. Osoosi is more related to healing.
But Osoosi, symbolized by the bow and arrow, shows us the quickest path from a to z. the quickest path to destiny, elevation, etc. he "shoots straight."

Very insightful indeed. Thank you for this information. I didn't know this.

I'm in training with Ausar Auset, but was introduced in my quest for African truth through Yoruba, however, the person that trained me didn't do so in the right light and caused a lot of problems for me understanding, therefore it's amazing to me how God and the ancestors find a way to provide the truth through all mediums.

So, and correct me if I'm wrong but in Kemet Osoosi, would correlate with the Deity of Maat being that Ogun correlates with Herukhuti.

This is deep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bullseye:

As you can tell I am very hungry to learn

Greetings brother sekhemu,
I notice you use the cuban term "pataki" and not the Yoruba term "itan."
I also notice that many of the stories you post, like this one, are Cuban versions. Were you initiated by Cubans?

aboru aboye

No brotha my initiator and oloye was crowned in Ifa. My use of cuban terms et al is simply a new york thing I suppose ;)

No brotha my initiator and oloye was crowned in Ifa. My use of cuban terms et al is simply a new york thing I suppose ;)

Oh yea, I forgot you was up there. I have other Ifa friends in NY and they do the same thing. This post on the paths of Ogun however, is that not a Cuban interpretation? Or maybe your oloye mixes Cuban stuff with the Yoruba stuff? I know many AA's do this. I'm not a purist, so I'm not coming from there. Just curious. My anthropologist manifestation (lol) always comes up with these scholarly pursuits, for instance i have tried to learn how ideas left Africa, come across the Atlantic, are modified and the modifications go back and influence the original, challenging theory that assumes a one way transfer (as I've mentioned for instance with Ogun's ileke), so that sometimes we think it (the idea) is Yoruba, but it is actually Cuban or Brazilian, etc. So what then of the "purist?"
Also, we can't help but mix in some new world stuff, for instance, it is very difficult to get African ewe, so we use the Cuban ones, and of course, we can consult Ifa regarding local plants.

I have also done some comparisons of ese odu from Yoruba sources against the same ese odu in Lucumi. It seems to me that the Cuban and Brazilian ones are more dramatic, like Latinos in general. They remind me sometimes of telenovelas. They tend to elevate the conflict in odu, especially between male orisa and female orisa.
I would like to here your thoughts on these points.

ire