Black People : Mountain Dew Under Fire for 'Most Racist Commercial in History'

MsInterpret

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 21, 2007
Mountain Dew Under Fire for 'Most Racist Commercial in History'

By Sarah B. Weir, Yahoo! blogger | Work + Money – 9 hours ago

• 470_2619625.jpg

Picture a grim police line-up with five young African American men in stereotypical "thug" garb, and a goat. That's just the opening shot.
    PepsiCo has announced it is pulling its new ad for Moutain Dew after a storm of criticism this week. Social commentator Dr. Boyce Watkins wrote on his blog that the spot was "arguably the most racist commercial in history." He continues, "Mountain Dew has set a new low for corporate racism. Their decision to lean on well-known racial stereotypes is beyond disgusting. This doesn't even include the fact that the company has put black men on par with animals."
    The one-minute ad (the link is gone in most places but you can still see it by clicking here) shows a badly beaten blonde Caucasian woman approaching the line-up on crutches. A white male warden says, "We got 'em all lined up, nail the little sucker." The goat, in a raspy male voice bullies her with phrases, "keep your mouth shut, I'm going to do ya when I get out," "ya better not snitch on a playa'," and "snitches, get stitches, fool." The woman becomes hysterical and runs from the room. As the ad ends, you can hear her screaming off-screen.
    The spot is one of a series featuring an intoxicated goat called Felicia created by Tyler, The Creator — leader of the hip-hop collective One Future. Ironically, AdWeek called an earlier video in the series the "Best Ad Ever."
    "We apologize for this video and take full responsibility. We have removed the video from all Mountain Dew channels and have been informed that Tyler is removing it from his channels as well."Jen Ryan, a spokeswoman for PepsiCo told Yahoo! Shine in a statement. The ad was not slated to run on television.
    http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/mountain-dew-under-fire-8220-most-racist-commercial-190800696.html

Tyler, The Creator's Mountain Dew ad has already been banned due to Dr. Boyce Watkins decrying it as "arguably the most racist commercial in history," but now the social activist is back tracking just a bit after studying the Odd Future rapper's music. In an interview about the controversy, Tyler expresses his disbelief that the ad was ever interpreted as racist, citing the generation gap as a probable reason for Watkins' initial reaction.

"There's no type of hate being portrayed in that work of art at all," Tyler told Billboard. "But this older black dude, Dr. Boyce Watkins, I guess he found it racist because I was portraying stereotypes, which is ridiculous because, one, all of those dudes [in the line-up] are my friends."

Tyler explained that there were absolutely no intended racial undertones in the ad, which was simply supposed to tell the story of a crazed goat who went as far as assaulting a woman on his quest to secure more Mountain Dew. "It's just a goat. I just think a goat is funny. It's no deeper meaning," he explained. "I wasn't thinking, 'Oh, let's use all black [people]' or whatever. I wanted to use my friends. You know why? 'Cause I don't like using other actors. You can look at every one of my videos, and my friends are always in it. Saying that I'm racist — every video I got, Lucas is in it! He's a little scrawny white kid. So what is this dude talking about?"

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1706757/tyler-the-creator-mountain-dew-ad-ridiculous.jhtml

Tyler, The Creator's Mountain Dew ad has already been banned due to Dr. Boyce Watkins decrying it as "arguably the most racist commercial in history," but now the social activist is back tracking just a bit after studying the Odd Future rapper's music. In an interview about the controversy, Tyler expresses his disbelief that the ad was ever interpreted as racist, citing the generation gap as a probable reason for Watkins' initial reaction.

"There's no type of hate being portrayed in that work of art at all," Tyler told Billboard. "But this older black dude, Dr. Boyce Watkins, I guess he found it racist because I was portraying stereotypes, which is ridiculous because, one, all of those dudes [in the line-up] are my friends."

Tyler explained that there were absolutely no intended racial undertones in the ad, which was simply supposed to tell the story of a crazed goat who went as far as assaulting a woman on his quest to secure more Mountain Dew. "It's just a goat. I just think a goat is funny. It's no deeper meaning," he explained. "I wasn't thinking, 'Oh, let's use all black [people]' or whatever. I wanted to use my friends. You know why? 'Cause I don't like using other actors. You can look at every one of my videos, and my friends are always in it. Saying that I'm racist — every video I got, Lucas is in it! He's a little scrawny white kid. So what is this dude talking about?"

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1706757/tyler-the-creator-mountain-dew-ad-ridiculous.jhtml

He's talking about the most backward-thinking mentally-dead NOT FUNNY video to be splashed across the world giving a FALSE, RACIST'S DREAM impression of African-Americans ever devised by an unconscious Negro.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back