Black Entertainment : "Good Times" as Minstrel Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOOD TIMES was a unique TV show for the time its episodes aired...

Though, above and beyond the likes or dislikes of certain characters, who could've guessed its impact, i. e., after the era the live version of Amos N Andy also reflects, whereas we could and did just laugh at the antics of it's wannabes, whereas others were poking fun at us, to entertain white folk, at our expense, via the other sit com series?

As Fanon once said: 'The white masters know the black slaves well, because they created them!'

Or in the black power era, created new ones..

After all else has been claimed or said, black sitcoms post sixties era are watered down white versions of black soap operas...

Instead, we and our people need far more than acceptable means/ways/etc. to co-exist (as inferior and unequal) with white people, in general...

Hence is why some of the biggest fans of gangsta rap are suburban whites etc., etc., etc.

So, just is (for) real about us, these days. Time will tell..

FYI...

Sister Cherry ... making the discussions personal is a violation of the rules.

We must challenge ourselves to remain on topic, and not begin attacking the Member personally.

Please self-moderate in this capacity too ... so i don't have to ... 'cause mine will problee look like abuse.

If you don't like a Member or what they say, and can't contain yourself within the rules, put them on ignore.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

Destee,

It was not my intent to make the discussion "personal." --Yes, I gave an example from my own background here on being called "white" and even his involvement in those previous accusations; and, because of those previous experiences of my own, reluctantly, but none-the-less, it is my OPINION that he "sounds like a white boy."

That is my OPINION based on some of his statements which align with European thought and DEVOID of the Black Experience TO ME.

No, I didn't CALL him a "white boy."----I just expressed my OPINION about the possible ORIGIN of some of his support statements. --I was saying that his DEBATE statements "sound" white to me.

I want to be in ADHERENCE to the rules but still be able to respectfully express my OPINION.

How else can I express my OPINION about the NEXUS of his discussion debates when (to me) they sound framed within the mentality of white folks in America about African descendants and still be ALIGNED with the rules of the site?

I would like to achieve both of these endeavors, respectfully.

You're putting words in my mouth. It's unintelligent when James praises a soup and claims how much he loves it, then asks what's in the soup.

See, this is what I mean by you being so far REMOVED from the BLACK EXPERIENCE.
Now, TO YOU, because James praised the soup and then asked what was in it, YOU see this scene as "UN-INTELLIGENT."

But, you are nit-picking and distorting the scene.

Since you're so keen on "EXTRAPOLATION," try viewing this from a REAL LIFE standpoint:

A Black man comes home from work, tired and hungry. He knows times are hard, AS USUAL, but he also knows that his wife has prepared a meal with whatever she had available to feed her man and children.

....You see, POOR PEOPLE make what my family useta call "REFRIGERATOR SOUP." ---That's when you take whatever left-overs are in the fridge, throw it ALL in a pot together, along with some rice or potatoes, maybe a can of stewed tomatoes and make a SOUP or a STEW.--Cuz PO' FOLKS can't throw nuthin AWAY.

AND I THINK/FEEL that many other BLACK PEOPLE would KNOW THIS and can RELATE to that scene as I can.

So, this very scene that YOU call "UN-INTELLIGENT" was REALITY and was expressed with COMEDY.

It's unintelligent when Willona, following a stick up, wants to talk about the sales that were going on in the store.

It's impatience when James flips out because Willona goes on that unintelligent tangent.

The weakness, impatience and un-intelligence does not relate to the 'reality,' 'poverty' or 'socio-political/socio-economic' times of the show.

It's not realistic that Willona couldn't stay focused on such a serious topic. It's nothing to do with poverty and it's nothing to do with socio-political/socio-economic times. But it has everything to do with insulting Black people.

And, perhaps, you're outta touch with the difference between men and women. (lol) "MEN are from MARS/WOMEN are from VENUS."

Cuz it is VERY REALISTIC for a WOMAN to rather talk about a SALE somewhere than a robbery! :lol:

James, being a MAN, wanted to hear more about the robbery; but a WOMAN can move right on to something more interesting to HER and her GIRLFRIEND (Florida).

Plus, when you live in the GHETTO like this family, a ROBBERY or a SHOOTING of some kind was ALL THE TIME., nothing NEW.

I coulda heard the same conversation in MY HOUSE back then:

"Did yall hear about sumbody broke in the pawn shop ova' on 6th and Main? Well, don't chu buy nuthin' from nobody cuz it'll be hotter than tha' 4th of July.........Girl, they got chicken noodle soup on sale, 4-for-a dollar, at the A & P!" :lol:
Plus, Willona had NO CHILDREN (until she adopted Penny/Janet J). So, she could spend her money on CLOTHES. So, a CLOTHING SALE was important to HER.

Cherry, I perfectly understand that the situations are realistic. But the situations don't make a Minstrel Show. What makes a minstrel show is when Black people are shown as weak, impatient and unintelligent, a collage of stereotypes.

I understand well that the situations can be imitating life. But that's not what makes a Minstrel Show. Shouting "DYNOMITE" and constantly at odds with one another is.

You will notice that these hijinks were an aspect of Black Sitcoms, not White Sitcoms. You will notice that this was a Minstrel Show if you stopped changing the subject.

Because, frankly, who cares if I don't understand, though I do? What's that have to do with the argument at hand?

Now, I already spoke to J.J. and his "DY-NO-MITE." ---But, that ASIDE, bickering and verbal teasing and such is WHAT SIBLINGS DO.

----My Goodness!.. Brothers and sisters are gonna ARGUE with each other....But, when it comes down to the NITTY-GRITTY, that same FAMILY will STAND TOGETHER.....cuz" Blood is thicker than water". ---- And this BLACK FAMILY on TV demonstrated that in every way. ---They STOOD TOGETHER through thick-and-thin, the good, the bad and the ugly.

And, you have ADMITTED that you are just RECENTLY introduced to GOOD TIMES via RE-RUNS.

So, how can you POSSIBLY COMPARE "Good Times" to any WHITE TV SHOW of the 70s?!

Yet, you wanna try to COMPARE a BLACK TV FAMILY with a WHITE ONE!

I LIVED in the 70s. So, I WATCHED ALL THESE SHOWS BACK THEN, the BLACK shows and the WHITE shows.

Those 2 WHITE SISTERS on "ONE DAY AT A TIME" were often "AT ODDS" with each other.

Joanie and Ritchie (brother/sister) were often "ODD ODDS" with each other on "HAPPY DAYS."

...even the WHITE children on "THE WALTONS" and "LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE" were often "ODD ODDS" with each other.

And, GOOD TIMES showed it from the BLACK PERSPECTIVE.

Now, as for J.J. and his "DY-NO-MITE," even THAT is RELATED TO BLACK CULTURE of the 70s.---Expressions like "RIGHT ON!" were a part of Black language in the 70s. ---And even the ACTORS on the show, John Amos and Esther Rolle fought with the WHITE WRITERS against showcasing "J.J." in a stereotypical light.

But, over-all, GOOD TIMES was a show which expressed the REALITIES of a POOR, inner-city BLACK FAMILY in the 70s in a COMEDIC way, but that doesn't make it a "MINSTREL SHOW."

See, this is what I mean by you being so far REMOVED from the BLACK EXPERIENCE.
Now, TO YOU, because James praised the soup and then asked what was in it, YOU see this scene as "UN-INTELLIGENT."

But, you are nit-picking and distorting the scene.

Since you're so keen on "EXTRAPOLATION," try viewing this from a REAL LIFE standpoint:

A Black man comes home from work, tired and hungry. He knows times are hard, AS USUAL, but he also knows that his wife has prepared a meal with whatever she had available to feed her man and children.

Proper protocol is to ask much earlier. That's all that's being said. You're trying to attest to "refrigerator soup" as if that's an excuse for asking when he did.

And, perhaps, you're outta touch with the difference between men and women. (lol) "MEN are from MARS/WOMEN are from VENUS."

Cuz it is VERY REALISTIC for a WOMAN to rather talk about a SALE somewhere than a robbery! :lol:

James, being a MAN, wanted to hear more about the robbery; but a WOMAN can move right on to something more interesting to HER and her GIRLFRIEND (Florida).

Plus, when you live in the GHETTO like this family, a ROBBERY or a SHOOTING of some kind was ALL THE TIME., nothing NEW.

I coulda heard the same conversation in MY HOUSE back then:

"Did yall hear about sumbody broke in the pawn shop ova' on 6th and Main? Well, don't chu buy nuthin' from nobody cuz it'll be hotter than tha' 4th of July.........Girl, they got chicken noodle soup on sale, 4-for-a dollar, at the A & P!" :lol:
Plus, Willona had NO CHILDREN (until she adopted Penny/Janet J). So, she could spend her money on CLOTHES. So, a CLOTHING SALE was important to HER.

Look, I really don't care if in your house people couldn't stay focused [heck, you're showing me now how able you are at focusing.] It's a bad reflection on Black people and you are only perpetuating the stereotypes. Now you want to tell me that women are materialistic and silly? Get out of town. This is called self-hatred.

I don't care if your family was self-hating. I really don't. I am pointing out how this is a bad representation of Black people. You trying to rationalize insults to Black people is to me very, very childish. How old are you?

Now, I already spoke to J.J. and his "DY-NO-MITE." ---But, that ASIDE, bickering and verbal teasing and such is WHAT SIBLINGS DO.

Not everyone does this. More, what is observed is called bullying [frequently calling the Sister 'ugly.'] For you to normalize in-home bullying then defend it's representation on TV, you yourself show how dangerous such social media is.

Let's admit it. You are highlighting minstrel-behavior on the show and trying to rationalize it. Why? I have no idea.

If the families didn't bicker, would you argue that it's unrealistic? No. So what in the world are you arguing for bickering to be realistic? If both choices are "realistic" why do you defend the negative choice? What's your angle?

Do you realize that you just defended negative stereotypes on Black people?

What does that say about your utility for our people if you would readily defend insults hurled us through, as you admit, White writers and a White producer?

Heck--where is your argument if you admit that the bleeding ACTORS fought against the stereotypes?

Edit: The second source is clearly a White author. The first source is pretty legitimate. The third source is just a Wiki page, but the conclusion remains. Minstrel stereotypes abound "Good Times."

Now look at this, I searched "Thelma Good Times Minstrel" and found these three articles:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/j/l/jls25/487paps/Blackshear.htm

http://www.bgsu.edu/departments/tcom/faculty/ha/tcom103fall2004/gp8/GT.html

http://goodtimes.wikia.com/wiki/Good_Times_Wiki

It's not non-Black to recognize a Minstrel Show when one sees one. I'm not wont to read these all yet. But what's interesting is this short caption I did read (part of clearly a college paper--the first link.)

The most overlooked and misrepresented character was poor Thelma. Her role was merely to react to J.J’s jokes and teasing. Most of the scripts called for her to stand around, looking sweet and innocent. Thelma was always depicted as having a new boyfriend in every episode, being a dancer and a singer. Once she was molested by one of Willona’s boyfriend’s. She was always the center of some sexual tension or friction. She never really made any significant contributions to the show. Thelma physically was a very pretty girl, with a great shape and great clothes. She seems to represent the stereotypical black “dumb blonde”, with access to of all of the latest fashion and men. “The writers showed no interest in sensitively developing her as a young African American teenager on the brink of womanhood. Even her ideal marriage seems merely a plot device, a way of bringing in the deus ex machina for the family’s happy ending” (Bogel 205).​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back