Food Discussion : any interest in east african cuisine?

tantric

REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 2, 2016
this has been a hobby of mine for years, ever since my swahili class had a cookout (goat marinated in lime and garlic and roasted). i have a few favorite recipes, like sukuma wiki and groundnut stew. important things, like understanding bananas as a main ingredient. right now i'm trying to figure out banana beer. just to see what would happen, i cut up some ripe bananas, put them in water with yeast and sorghum syrup and let them sit. after a few days i filtered it clean, then froze the remainder and ice filtered it again. the result was mildly alcoholic, a bit better, very good when ice cold and not at all like african banana beer....

not much for pics, but i did do some experimenting. i had some kale, went to the garden and got two types of turnip greens (the kind that sting your hands) and some collards. love the blue-green color of the collards. now, i'm not a big fan of cook 'em til they scream (literally, in a pressure cooker) greens, so i tried something new. cut up the greens, with scissors, removed the big stems. sprayed them with spray coconut oil. turned the oven on broil and let it get good and hot, then put the greens on a cookie sheet and let them broil for ten minutes. i was very surprised and pleased - they get a bit crunchy, but the flavor is great. you could make an awesome salad with them. and i normally hate turnip greens, but they were good this way.

Is Ethiopia considered East Africa? Well, I'm not sure about that but, there's a restaurant in my city, owned, operated and meals prepared by Ethiopians. Lovely, family...Small place, decorated in their culture and the food...delicious! The classic Ethiopian platter with Injera? Mmm...yummy--and you eat with your right hand. Take the Injera, break off pieces and scoop up the food--some mild, some hot and spicy. Ethiopians are big on vegetables, which I really like. But they have chicken and beef dishes too...look like they are stewed long and slow with some sort of "gravy" and it's tender, no need for knives. And they have tea that seems to have spices in it that is so fragrant and tasty...I like that too. You can barely get in the place for white people. It's a very cozy, intimate setting and it feels like you're in Africa. I go there a lot.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back