Black People : What is your understanding of family?

Definition of family to me is linked kinship, either by blood, common interests or geniune inclusiveness.

Fictive kin is very much included in my definition of family. Black people collectively are included in my definition of fictive kin; however, only in regards to how I see a group I am part of as family. I genuinely wish good will towards all Black people. Yet my immediate concept of family only includes my blood relations and those people who have cooperative relationships with me or my blood kin.
How do you determine who is and is not a part of your fictive kin network?

How do you determine who is and is not a part of your fictive kin network?

My bad. Fictive kin would be those persons or families that have established cooperative relationships with either me or my blood relations.

Example: A family married into mine where mutual respect and recognition exist. At a funeral of an aunt married into my blood family, I saw blood members of her family that I knew. My mom told me although we may not be blood related we are still family with my aunt's blood kinfolks. And we referred to them as Uncle or Aunt or Cousin So and So.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back