Black People : Some Tea Party leaders, those who own property deserve to have their voices heard

Istari

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 17, 2010
all over
Occupation
taking care of my family and myself
Talking about going back in time or seeing history repeat itself! What would you do if this should happen?

Want to vote in the 2012 election? Well, if the Tea Party had their way, if you rent an apartment, live with friends or family, live in a shelter or nursing home, or have some other arrangement, you wouldn't be able to.

To some Tea Party leaders, only those who own property deserve to have their voices heard.

Via the Institute of Southern Studies:

When critics charged that tea party groups like True the Vote may have been trying to disenfranchise voters with their aggressive tactics in the 2010 elections, the allegations were often waved off as a hysterical exaggeration.

But at least some leaders of the national tea party movement openly question the idea of widely-accessible voting rights -- even embracing a time in U.S. history when suffrage was denied to renters and others who didn't own property.

On his November 17 internet radio program, Judson Philips -- president of the Nashville-based company Tea Party Nation -- defended the original U.S. laws that allowed only the landed elite to vote, making these comments:

The Founding Fathers originally said, they put certain restrictions on who gets the right to vote. It wasn't you were just a citizen and you got to vote. Some of the restrictions, you know, you obviously would not think about today. But one of those was you had to be a property owner. And that makes a lot of sense, because if you're a property owner you actually have a vested stake in the community. If you're not a property owner, you know, I'm sorry but property owners have a little bit more of a vested interest in the community than non-property owners.
Next step? Giving you an extra vote if you own a business, cabin, vacation home or rental property. Things get awfully complicated though once you get into timeshares.

IMO

the tea party is composed of fascist, racist, idiots.
i see no reason to pay attention to anything any of them say.
it's a waste of time to post their words.

acknowledge that they are fascists and put your energy into a way to defeat them.

:fyi:you might want a better tittle on the thread

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

It's a lot going on and I know I have not been here for a long time but it is about to change.
Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Back