Black People : Zoe Saldana As Nina Simone

shaka64

Feb 15, 2007
africa
Occupation
Photographer
A friend of mine wrote this about The Nina Simone biopic that debuted at Cannes. "I was waiting for reviews to come out before writing this but I couldn't find any. Apparently it was only screened for distribution companies interested in buying the film -- this is a telling tale.

Viola Davis, Kimberly Elise, India Arie (who released a statement) and Mary J Blige are just a few actresses that many feel were more fitting to play the High Priestess of Soul. Since popular votes don't guarantee selection, the outcome is already a finished product starring Zoe Saldana".

http://www.ninasimone.com/2012/11/india-arie-speaks-out-about-unauthorized-nina-simone-movie/

Anyone have any more info about this?
What are your thoughts on this?

n-NINA-SIMONE-MOVIE-large570.jpg

some say Nina's daughter would be a good choice
Simone.jpg

13286899614f323329f317c.jpg

celeb-biopics-zoe-saldana.jpg

LOL

Last edited:
I think India is a closer match. Sometimes when an actor/actress looks too different than the person they are portraying, it throws me off. Denzel was on the money with X, Angela was also with Tina.

Peace!

It's their film. And Zoe is very talented as an actress. of course it won't be culturally accurate from our perspective.. but.. again.. it's their film. Anyone that has followed Nina.. read her autobiography.. listened to her music.. knows that Nina was a complex personality.. I'm not sure Mary J. Blige could pull that off.. in fact.. I dont even know how she made it to the list of choices.. same with India. When I think of Nina.. no American actor I know of comes to mind.. she rejected the culture and what it planned for her.. she doesn't come across as American at all.. Her music has always felt very African to me.. and I think I'd like to see dark skinned.. African.. or West Indian musician/actress play her. If Lauryn Hill could pull it together.. She would actually be perfect.. She's complex enough.. and deep enough.. and talented enough to pull it off..

It's their film. And Zoe is very talented as an actress. of course it won't be culturally accurate from our perspective.. but.. again.. it's their film. Anyone that has followed Nina.. read her autobiography.. listened to her music.. knows that Nina was a complex personality.. I'm not sure Mary J. Blige could pull that off.. in fact.. I dont even know how she made it to the list of choices.. same with India. When I think of Nina.. no American actor I know of comes to mind.. she rejected the culture and what it planned for her.. she doesn't come across as American at all.. Her music has always felt very African to me.. and I think I'd like to see dark skinned.. African.. or West Indian musician/actress play her. If Lauryn Hill could pull it together.. She would actually be perfect.. She's complex enough.. and deep enough.. and talented enough to pull it off..
I like the Idea of Lauryn Hill as Nina

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back