Black People : Zoe Saldana As Nina Simone

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by shaka64, May 28, 2014.

1. shaka64

shaka64 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Photographer
    Ratings:
    +956
    A friend of mine wrote this about The Nina Simone biopic that debuted at Cannes. "I was waiting for reviews to come out before writing this but I couldn't find any. Apparently it was only screened for distribution companies interested in buying the film -- this is a telling tale.

Viola Davis, Kimberly Elise, India Arie (who released a statement) and Mary J Blige are just a few actresses that many feel were more fitting to play the High Priestess of Soul. Since popular votes don't guarantee selection, the outcome is already a finished product starring Zoe Saldana".

http://www.ninasimone.com/2012/11/india-arie-speaks-out-about-unauthorized-nina-simone-movie/

Anyone have any more info about this?
    What are your thoughts on this?

[​IMG]

some say Nina's daughter would be a good choice
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    LOL

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  2. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I think India is a closer match. Sometimes when an actor/actress looks too different than the person they are portraying, it throws me off. Denzel was on the money with X, Angela was also with Tina.

Peace!

3. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    It's their film. And Zoe is very talented as an actress. of course it won't be culturally accurate from our perspective.. but.. again.. it's their film. Anyone that has followed Nina.. read her autobiography.. listened to her music.. knows that Nina was a complex personality.. I'm not sure Mary J. Blige could pull that off.. in fact.. I dont even know how she made it to the list of choices.. same with India. When I think of Nina.. no American actor I know of comes to mind.. she rejected the culture and what it planned for her.. she doesn't come across as American at all.. Her music has always felt very African to me.. and I think I'd like to see dark skinned.. African.. or West Indian musician/actress play her. If Lauryn Hill could pull it together.. She would actually be perfect.. She's complex enough.. and deep enough.. and talented enough to pull it off..

4. shaka64

shaka64 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Photographer
    Ratings:
    +956
    I like the Idea of Lauryn Hill as Nina

5. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Zoe.
    ....BOOOO!

6. CheeDee

CheeDee Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    A self loathing of blackness Dominican portraying Nina Simone is an insult. So many other women with strong ethnic features and who are real African Americans not someone who claims they are Latina. This is what happens when other people tell our stories... just saying.

7. bientempo

bientempo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
    Need to get your facts straight
    Quote to from Zoe to Listin Dario foremost paper in the Dominican Republic

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0757855/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

When I go to the D.R., the press in Santo Domingo always asks, "¿Qué te consideras, dominicana o americana?" (What do you consider yourself, Dominican or American?) I don't understand it, and it's the same people asking the same question. So I say, time and time again, "Yo soy una mujer negra." ("I am a black woman.") [They go] "Oh, no, tú eres trigueñita." ("Oh no, you are 'dark skinned'") I'm like, "No! Let's get it straight, yo soy una mujer negra." ("I am a black woman.")

Her Father is Dominican and her mother is Puerto Rican, Zoe was born in the USA an therefore an American.

http://www.arogundade.com/what-race...-nationality-race-and-parents-background.html
    despite all the ambiguities about Saldana's ethnicity, she self-identifies as black rather than Latino — a fact which some sections of the latter community find hard to accept. She was also criticised recently for being cast in the role of Nina Simone in the upcoming biopic about the singer, by those who thought an African American actress should have been cast. “It doesn't matter how much backlash I will get it,” she responded. “I will honor and respect my black community because that's who I am.”
    . .

8. CheeDee

CheeDee Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Losing Nina Simone By The Black Authority Jason Black

h tt ps :// www . youtube. com /watch?v=G2VuCGzhLC0&list=RDG2VuCGzhLC0

I have more than 10 posts but I still can't post links... but check out this take on the Nina Simone movie.

9. Dreya

Dreya Well-Known Member MEMBER

Applied computer arts
    Ratings:
    +312
    [​IMG]
    i look at it like this - this girl is mixed race - ok fine - but then most people - 85% i here of african americans are mixed - to me she looks mostly black - she claims to be black..... now are we all really gonna go down the road to sayin that folk who claim to be black but arent really dark skinned just aint black enough for us???

10. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    I myself, do not mind that zoe is mixed. For me, that is not the issue.
    Aside from simply not caring for her as an actor (or at least a number of the roles
    plays), I do not think she makes for playing a nina simone character.