Zimbabwe : Zimbabwe and Pan-African Liberation

twashing

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 17, 2004
There's a lot of information and misinformation about what's going on in Zimbabwe, especially since the land reforms begna taking place. I thought this article was interesting because the author has actually been to Zimbabwe and has extensive concrete experience in the African liberation struggle.

If anyone as any reliable news sources on Zimbabwe, I've love to take a look.

-- tim

Where are reliable Zimbabwe News Sources?

These are the kinds of stories I'm used to hearing about Zimbabwe:
Zimbabwe: Mugabe’s ”Operation Murambatsvina”

However, Gregory Elich and other's reports contradict these stories, so it's hard to know what is actually going on. For example, I read an article in New African that described (with pictures) the new housing for slum dwellers that was a result of "Operation Murambatsvina". Who should we believe? I found another article that give a bit more history to the Zimbabwe situation. But I still can't find any reliable, current news, beyond what Elich had to say. Anybody have any more sources?

Zimbabwe's Mugabe and White Farmers

Zimbabwe's Mugabe Wants an End to Fighting, Commits to Constitution Change
By Nelson Gore Banya - Apr 18, 2011 10:25 AM CT

Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe called for an end to political violence and committed himself to constitutional reforms before fresh elections.

“We are one,” Mugabe said in a speech in the capital, Harare, to mark Zimbabwe’s independence from Britain in 1980. “We may have our differences but we belong to one family. Please, no violence, no fighting.”

While the power-sharing government between Mugabe’s Zimbabwe African National Union-Patriotic Front party and Tsvangirai’s Movement for Democratic Change has often come close to breaking down, it helped lift the southern African nation’s economy out of a decade of recession.

The coalition government brought political and economic stability to the country, he said. Tsvangirai and officials from his party also attended the Independence Day rally.

Southern African Development Community leaders on April 1 demanded an end to renewed fighting between the parties and called for lawmakers to complete a new constitution and prepare for elections. The MDC accuses Zanu-PF of preventing it from holding rallies.....

complete article here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...abe-commits-to-changing-the-constitution.html

April 18, 1980 - Zimbabwe Independence Day

1953 The British colony of Southern Rhodesia became part of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland.

1959 The African National Congress (ANC), led by Joshua Nkomo was banned.

1961 Nkomo forms Zimbabwe African Peoples Union (ZAPU).

1962 ZAPU was banned. Rhodesian Front (RF) won the elections.

1963 African nationalists in Northern Rhodesia and Nyasaland demanded dissolution of Federation. Zimbabwe African National Union (ZANU) was formed by Rev. Sithole and Robert Mugabe.

1964 New Rhodesian Front prime minister Ian Smith rejects British demands for majority rule and bans ZANU.

1965 May, Rhodesian Front was re-elected. In the month of November the state of emergency was declared. UK imposed economic sanctions. African National Congress, ZANU, and ZAPU begin guerrilla war.

1970 Rhodesia was declared a republic.

1974 Rhosesian Front regime agrees to cease-fire terms with the African nationalists.

1975-1979 Negotiations between British government, Rhodesian Front and nationalists.

1976 ZANU and ZAPU unite to form the Patriotic Front (PF).

1977 PF was backed by "frontline" African states: Mozambique, Tanzania, Botswana, and Zambia.

1979 PF rejects to settlement drafted by Ian Smith and moderate African nationalists.

1980 Independence as Zimbabwe. Following violent election campaign, Robert Mugabe becomes prime minister of ZANU-PF/ZAPU-PF coalition. Relations with South Africa was severed.

http://www.123independenceday.com/zimbabwe/independence/history/

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back