Black Spirituality Religion : Yurugu/ the manifestations of the Asilis of Altruism or Negativity

Ankhur

REGISTERED MEMBER
Oct 4, 2009
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
Marimba Ani goes into great lengths to describe the basic African centered Asili of collective love or the communal recirpocity of African traditonal life asDr Clarke describes it.
The focus there has always been on the common good and collective upliftemt, and manifest as an innate sense of spirtuality, expressed as a empathic altruism

However the colonialistic and imperialistic asili has a great seductive power

negativity and avarice, and the glorification of materialism and materialistic gain at the expens of another.
The epitome of this has been fascism and an attck and dengration of anything that the asili cannot understand.

During colonization all indegeous cutures faiths and religious practies were attacked and desimated , and then wrote about as though the attacker had some real understanding of that which they denegrated

The focus of the asili is indicative of a focus on negaivity in every form and rarely if ever, is there a desire for conscious raising, or desire for collective effort, and the common good

the term do eat dog expemplifies this asili,
and it is what the CIA has used to take the "SOUL" out of Black music and encourage the youth to musical expressions of fratricide, self hate dengration of women and th destruction of the comunity

Thus the modalities as Carter G Woodson had mentioned of self slavery and mental captivity had been achieved

until a return to the African centered Asili, is restored in order for psychic and mental healing to take place

The African Asili is Love oriented as where the Imperialistic asili is based on discord and divisiveness

Peace Brother.

You know, IMO Elder Sister Ani is a very under-exposed (and underrated?) author of ours. I feel she is a bit more abstract/theoretical than, f.ex. the late great Brother Amos Wilson, but still some of her ideas are really hardcore. Yet, she has stayed under the radar (at least internationally) compared to Asante, Akbar and even non-writers such as Janks Morten (or however you spell that).

I wonder why this is... Is it because she has no credentials/titles from western educational facilities (I know not what her degree is)? Have you by any chance seen her speak in person, Brother?

All that being said, I have been neglecting my studies of the whole 'asili vs culture' thing. I was struggling with the understanding of the term 'asili' while reading the Sex Imperative (a most fascinating read, depending on your ideological orientation), but just forgot all about it once I was done with the book.

Your post helped me remember that I must restart this study. Thanks!

One,

- Ikoro

Peace Brother.

You know, IMO Elder Sister Ani is a very under-exposed (and underrated?) author of ours. I feel she is a bit more abstract/theoretical than, f.ex. the late great Brother Amos Wilson, but still some of her ideas are really hardcore. Yet, she has stayed under the radar (at least internationally) compared to Asante, Akbar and even non-writers such as Janks Morten (or however you spell that).

I wonder why this is... Is it because she has no credentials/titles from western educational facilities (I know not what her degree is)? Have you by any chance seen her speak in person, Brother?

All that being said, I have been neglecting my studies of the whole 'asili vs culture' thing. I was struggling with the understanding of the term 'asili' while reading the Sex Imperative (a most fascinating read, depending on your ideological orientation), but just forgot all about it once I was done with the book.

Your post helped me remember that I must restart this study. Thanks!

One,

- Ikoro
and your name, and the thanks from our fine sister from Nigeria,

cause meto make a personal post here

Living in NYC I have always had the privledge of speaking to folks from the continent, and from early childhood, experiences of speaking to African scholars who would do classes in community centers for free for the children in Brooklyn,
or at "the East" and speaking to performers from several African nations that were happy to speak to us as children and answer our questions and enjoy our thanking them for sharing,

to this day when I shop , and do business with various Africans in Crown Heights, and Bed Stuy

there is a heartfelt love and smile that I get from each and every,

that shakes me to the core of my being

so this Asili of the Afocentic atitude, and more' is something very real and tangible for me personaly

however, we must realize that not only Kwame Ture', but also Malcolm had noticed that

Africans on the continent,
across ethnic groups,
across languages,

across colonialy made boundaries ,

where at the exact end of the various revolutions in the 60s

dropping their differences and beginning to embrace in a very real universal Black love and harmony

that literaly scared the "what not" out of

the global oligarchy;
and they used every scheme, assasination, plot, subtefruge, and buy out, as well as genocide

to halt that great tide of real power.

Now as I speak to brothers from the Motherland here, there seems to be a ressurection of that spirit again