Black People : "Yurugu" by Marimba Ani: ( 3 hr lecture ).

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by skuderjaymes, May 19, 2014.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
  2. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    This book is dense.. physically.. conceptually.. intellectually. The work she has put into this is staggering.. I just don't know that it is all that accessible though. The book is literally and figuratively jam-packed with ideas and information. I think it would take a multi-year, multi-subject curriculum to effectively get all of this across to everyday people.

3. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    My brother, I have a problem here...not with the work but with her forgetfullness concerning the words of her teacher, the late Great Dr. John H. Clarke. Dr. Clarke stated that every book out there needs to be re-written...and that if what you write is not comprehensible to someone in the 8th grade, you've missed your target audience.

Now, back to Yurugu. What fault did I find in the book? 1. I felt that she was trying to prove her scholarship and as such, did not write a work geared towards the masses of Black people. 2. The continuity of the book is thrown off due to her usage of Swahili words. As such, it keeps one flipping from the original page you were reading, back to the Swahili glossary to get an understanding of the word...and then back to the page you were reading.

This isn't good for the casual reader. I had an advantage because I speak Swahili, so the continuity of her writing was easier for me. Outside of that, I agree with everything you have said....as well as the idea that she stated that it should be YOUNG people leading all of this that is going on....which becomes a little difficult since there are so many OLDER people with OLD THINKING AND THOUGHTS who insist on imposing those to the young.

4. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043

I hear you..

and I think the Language element that you highlighted is interesting. I understand her need to reach outside of english.. but I don't think she took it far enough.. although I believe she took it as far as she practically could. If there is a missing component to this work, it is Linguistics. The English language has all of those elements of European culture that she is describing built into it..

but hey .. this work was published 20 years ago.. perhaps its for the next generation to take these concepts to the next level.

5. KingSango

KingSango Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +389
    More conspiracy theory which I don't doubt what she say is true it's just that how long will it take for us to move into the realm of solution?

Why waste a book on this which has been covered by so many great ones before her?

Go to time 1:00 and just listen to that statement.

Dr. Amos says, we can't spend all of our time trying to root out conspiracy theories. There's much more work to be done than the simple discovery of conspiracy.

We know the Kracker is against us and we know that we have Boule and Prince Hall masonic traitors in our midst but we still need to move on with building and constructing solutions to our other issues like African poverty, sickness, hardship, disease, mental health and etc.

6. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    I don't know how much research you've been doing...but at the time that she wrote that work, it needed to be written. In fact, the book was in responce to another work called the Bell Curve by Richard J. Herrnstein that was attempting to use psychology, crime records, socialization and BS history to say that black people were mentally inferior to white people. So if anything, all she did was step forward like the warrior sister she is and nip that crazy ish in the bud before it could grow.

7. KingSango

KingSango Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +389
    Before it can grow? This nation has the highest incarceration of people in the world and majority of them are Blackmales and as a whole Black people. There's no nipping White Supremacy and Racism in the bud it's already a fully grown beast. Conspiracy theories are half measure, being able to identify who is causing your downfall is a little too late when you're already in the mud.

We must build, we must build and when they tear down we must continue to build.

8. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    I read the book. It's deep. A lot of good info.
    As for wilson, he doesn't take issue with "conspiracy theories" in and of themselves; it
    is the 'over indulgence' of such that is scrutinized. Furthermore, yurugu is as well
    researched as blue print. Each are different avenues that demonstrate what has/is
    happening to us and give insight on what must be done to change what is happening
    to us, from within and without.

Our predicament is complex, so no one author has all the answers no matter how
    erudite they are on the subject they are explaining and I hold dr. wilson to such
    high regard.

If one (or more) is beyond such literature and is ready to take to the next level, then
    do that, for there are people who are still in need of knowing what the deal is. As for
    'next level' stuff for instance, dr. umar johnson is looking to raise funds to buy a school
    (hbcu) to transform it into a school to properly educate black children. He can use all
    the donations he can get. He's just one, but let us not act like folks aren't 'doing'. Just because
    it doesn't get the press, many of us are of the assumption that nothing is going down. Remember
    'it' is a process....

Yurugu is great. There are times when subject matters can't be spoon-fed (there where times
    when I was scratching my head, but I stayed with it and at times had to go beyond the book
    to understand what was being stated in the book), I always recommend to those who I know
    to be studying anthropology or some form of social history.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  9. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    why waste a book? why waste a post? especially when you haven't even bothered to pick up the book. . or even listened to the lecture. and that explains why you are so completely off base.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  10. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Byetheway:
    Yurugu is not a conspiratorial work.

Don't know if ani said in this lecture, but I
    do recall here suggesting that one should
    just read 6 pages a day.