Black Children : (YPP) Young People's Project

cherryblossom

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 28, 2009
http://www.typp.org/

The Mission of the Young People’s Project is to use Math Literacy as a tool to develop young leaders and organizers who radically change the quality of education and life in their communities so that all children have the opportunity to reach their full human potential.

HISTORY:
In 1995 I traveled South with my dad, my brother Taba and Khari Milner to work with the Algebra Project at the Sam M. Brinkley Middle School in Jackson, Mississippi. Taba had been traveling with my dad to Mississippi for over three years. My dad was returning to the state to continue the work he began over 40 years ago as a Field Secretary for the Student Non Violent Coordinating Committee. As one of the primary architects and organizers of Freedom Summer and the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party, he was returning to the people, places and struggle which had defined his life, now raising the issue of math literacy as the key to 21st century citizenship.

Taba, Khari and I, along with nine 8th grade Algebra Project students from the Brinkley Middle School, Sammie Myers, Antonio Allen, Java Jackson, Melvin Bell, Durrell Moore, Shameka Shelton, Demetrica Gordon, April Davis and Nate Young founded YPP in 1996. It was founded on the belief that there is work that young people can and must do to change the conditions of their lives and that math literacy work was a good place to start.

In the same way that Ella Baker helped fashion a space for the students who sat-in to think and organize for themselves, the Algebra Project provided a space for YPP to grow and develop.
Twelve years later, here we are.
Omo Moses, YPP Founder

http://www.typp.org/

The Mission of the Young People’s Project is to use Math Literacy as a tool to develop young leaders and organizers who radically change the quality of education and life in their communities so that all children have the opportunity to reach their full human potential.

HISTORY:
In 1995 I traveled South with my dad, my brother Taba and Khari Milner to work with the Algebra Project at the Sam M. Brinkley Middle School in Jackson, Mississippi. Taba had been traveling with my dad to Mississippi for over three years. My dad was returning to the state to continue the work he began over 40 years ago as a Field Secretary for the Student Non Violent Coordinating Committee. As one of the primary architects and organizers of Freedom Summer and the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party, he was returning to the people, places and struggle which had defined his life, now raising the issue of math literacy as the key to 21st century citizenship.

Taba, Khari and I, along with nine 8th grade Algebra Project students from the Brinkley Middle School, Sammie Myers, Antonio Allen, Java Jackson, Melvin Bell, Durrell Moore, Shameka Shelton, Demetrica Gordon, April Davis and Nate Young founded YPP in 1996. It was founded on the belief that there is work that young people can and must do to change the conditions of their lives and that math literacy work was a good place to start.

In the same way that Ella Baker helped fashion a space for the students who sat-in to think and organize for themselves, the Algebra Project provided a space for YPP to grow and develop.
Twelve years later, here we are.
Omo Moses, YPP Founder

Ole Miss:

Some of me and mine's original homeplaces on this side of the oceans!

So to say the least?

Also please updates about this recent effort to prepare today's youth to become future leaders...

Good luck to the originators of this project...

Take care...

Peace...

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back