Black Teenagers : You've gotta see this

Discussion in 'Black Teenagers - Teenz Exprezzed!' started by SmoothEbony, Oct 27, 2006.

1. SmoothEbony

SmoothEbony Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
  2. Sami_RaMaati

Sami_RaMaati Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +243
    This is heartbreaking.

What you're seeing on film is the early beginnings of low self esteem among black people. It starts in early childhood and in too many instances continues for a lifetime. A couple of ways it manifests itself is through black on black crime and black people spending 97% of their disposable income with people who flagrantly disrespect us (whites, asians, arabs, etc) while steadfastly boycotting black owned businesses.

Questions that we as a people need to ask ourselves in light of this film are:

1) Did the fact that these children identified the white doll as being more attractive come about by accident or by design? To put it another way, why did 15 out of 20 black children identify the white doll as being more attractive than the black doll? Were they born with that belief, or was there something in the family and community cultural environment that socialized them to feel that way?

My answer is that it is by design, and they were not born with that belief. Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of black parents are utterly clueless about the existence of the false doctrine of white supremacy as a pervasive though unarticulated social philosophy, and are even more clueless about the the fact that their children's views and values are shaped by this false doctrine via the tv, movies, music videos, toys (e.g., white dolls and action figures), video games, the miseducational system, the child's peers, teachers, and so forth.

2) Why did only 5 out of 20 black children identify the black doll as being more attractive? What is happening in the cultural environments of their families and communities that is different from the children who felt the white doll was more attractive?

My answer is that chances are the parents of these children are acutely aware of the existence of the false doctrine of white supremacy as a pervasive though unarticulated social philosophy and are also acutely aware that it is transmitted to children through tv, movies, music videos, cartoons, video games, the miseducational system, peers, teachers, etc. Knowing this, these parents have taken countermeasures (e.g., CULTURE) to nullify its effect on their children.

We've had these same discussions decades ago in the 60's and 70's, and the preventive approach to the mental illness of self hate is not at all a mystery: An Afrikan centered cultural millieu in which black children are totally immersed from the cradle through high school and are taught EXPLICITLY early on to love their black skins.

How did we as a people go from "Black is Beautiful" and "Say It Loud: I'm Black and I'm Proud" back to this mess?

3. SmoothEbony

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure how it happened but some how we need to figure out a way to get back to that mentality.

4. philomath

philomath Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    many deny this problem in the community, but it is very clearly an issue

the only way to start to resolve it is for many to admit it exists

5. SmoothEbony

Ratings:
    +0
    Ur right Philomath. And until ppl do admit the is a problem it will continue.

SE

6. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    This is the most tragic thing I have seen in a long time. It is a testamony of the fact that "NOTHING HAS CHANGED". It is a testamony of the fact that "white supremacy is alive and well". It is a testamony of the fact that our children are still being Emotionally, Mentally and Spiritually Sacrificed to the effects of white supremacy" It is a testamony of the fact that WE AS ADULTS ARE NOT DOING OUR JOBS...NOT JUST AS PARENTS, BUT AS ADULTS PERIOD !" This is the first post that I have seen that needs to remain at the top as a sticky and as a reminder of why DESTEE.COM EXIST !!:flame: :flame:

7. We

We Well-Known Member MEMBER

Nationbuilding
    Ratings:
    +11
    Tragic indeed.

8. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    Im sad to see that it toook this video for you all to come to this conclusion...
    I buy my little sister blk dolls and teach her that blk is beautiful..
    but she will not touch the dark dolls..
    she likes nothing more than a pecan tan..
    its a complext that all women face...
    I know i did..
    I was called everything from light bright.. darn near white..
    and so on..
    the dark kids in middle school. labled me as stuck up cause I was light skinned..
    and i had to hang with the other ppl that had been foiled the same fate..

9. Sweet baby_face

Sweet baby_face Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student by day, Poet by night
    Ratings:
    +7
    I know the feeling Poetic. I am about the complexion of Lisa Bonet and was teased at private school with white schoolmates in elementary school. Then, when I went to public school, it didn't get no better. A lot of girls said that they thought I was better than every1 else because I was so light(I still am) and my thing was,":censored: What that got to do with anything:censored: ?" Nothing. When I first saw it, I was like,"things still haven't changed. It's so sad to see that.

10. sweettee29

sweettee29 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    I DID THE WHITE DOLL BLACK DOLL TEST!

My baby Winter is 2 yrs old. She has two main dolls that she plays with most of the time, well before I saw what was posted on this thread I had never thought about if she played with the white doll more or the black doll.

Yesterday she and I were home alone and she wanted to play. So she grabbed the white doll, and I gave her the black doll (who in my opinion is way cuter than the white one) she did not want the black doll. She mothered the white doll and clearly picked this one as her favorite.
    I was actually trying to show her that the black doll was a baby too and needed attention and love. She took the black doll from me but it was quickly thrown to the floor when she shifted more attention to her white doll.
    Man this bothered me tremendously because I have two daughters and they look like night and day one is bright and the other has beautiful chocolate skin. I would hate for either one of my girls to grow up with a complex that bright and white is better. I always ask Winter "you momma pretty baby" and she shakes her head yes all the time. I do this so she can be confident in who she is and never feel that she is inferior to anyone regardless of her skin color or whatever.
    I saw it first hand people these babies have a complex about their skin color,their hair and the whole 9 yards.

I just pray that my girls excape this curse of feeling this way.

WHAT CAN WE AS A PEOPLE DO TO RESTORE PRIDE AND CONFIDENCE IN THESE LITTLE LADIES SO THEY CAN BE PROUD OF WHO THEY ARE?

PROUD TO BE BLACK, WITH THICK HAIR, DARK SKIN, LIGHT SKIN OR WHATEVER THEIR PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS ARE!

Sweettee, love