Black Children : "You're not black enough"

tay_tay225

Feb 22, 2010
Have you talked with any other mixed-race people about this?

How do your parents identify culturally?...with only one or some or all of your heritages?
I saw that thread you mentioned above after I made this one. >.< but yeah, I looked it over after.

My mother doesn't generally like black people. Refers to them as "the n word" whenever one 'acts ghetto.'

My father, however, says that if I'm part black then I'm black. He and my mom are divorced and he lives in Chicago.

cherryblossom

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
I saw that thread you mentioned above after I made this one. >.< but yeah, I looked it over after.

My mother doesn't generally like black people. Refers to them as "the n word" whenever one 'acts ghetto.'

My father, however, says that if I'm part black then I'm black. He and my mom are divorced and he lives in Chicago.

Hmmmm.

Well, again, only you can define you.

Workinprocess

Feb 14, 2010
I'm about 70-80% African-American (or would that just be African??) The other bit is French, Cuban, Native American, and possibly English/Irish. It really shows because I have a very European-type nose and my hair is long probably due to the Native American thing. My skin is also a brown-dark orange type of tone. So I get recieve a lot of comments about my ehtnicity.

Most of the comments are positive, but there are some people who tend to tell me that I'm not really a black woman just because I'm part this and that. It really bothers me. I'd like to be seen as one. It might just be me who's taking it to heart when I shouldn't be, but it seems like you have to be 100% black to really be considered black.

I don't know how to get over this -_-" I know it must sound stupid. I even wrote a poem about it to try and feel better, and that only helped for about 5 minutes. :10500:

I have my opinions about what you are based on what you said but it comes down to ...

What do you feel that you are? Do you feel that you are black, white or neither?

There are some things that a person of black ancestory should know, especially if they are more black ancestory than anything else.

The worlds population in terms of numbers, has more people of color than it has of white people. All indegenous species of human, have original black or brown people, all accept for Europe.

W.I.P :whip:

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
STAFF
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
From what you have expressed , I would say you are who you feel you are and how you
as a person proceed yourself to be .......I'm sure most black folks are mixed with something
and not 100% fully african blooded
Look deeper into the mirror you are who you are beyond what the society wants you to be.

Proud&Ashamed

May 4, 2010
I'm about 70-80% African-American (or would that just be African??) The other bit is French, Cuban, Native American, and possibly English/Irish. It really shows because I have a very European-type nose and my hair is long probably due to the Native American thing. My skin is also a brown-dark orange type of tone. So I get recieve a lot of comments about my ehtnicity.

Most of the comments are positive, but there are some people who tend to tell me that I'm not really a black woman just because I'm part this and that. It really bothers me. I'd like to be seen as one. It might just be me who's taking it to heart when I shouldn't be, but it seems like you have to be 100% black to really be considered black.

I don't know how to get over this -_-" I know it must sound stupid. I even wrote a poem about it to try and feel better, and that only helped for about 5 minutes. :10500:
I'm wondering, what does "being Black" mean to these people? I seriously doubt that anyone on this planet is 100% one race, even if the mixing dates from a couple of generations ago, it doesn't mean it never happened. If their definition of a Black person is a person that's 100% Black African, there probably aren't any "real Blacks". But anyway, that's technicality and i doubt this argument will actually convince them of anything so i'll take another approach on the matter: Why would you like so much to be "seen as one"? Why does it matter at all? What difference does the race other people think you are make to you? It doesn't have any influence on who you are. You have Black African blood, and whether the others acknowledge it or not will never change that.

Reniassance Man

Oct 21, 2008
Virginia
Yea you black/African. We have the Dominant gene Remember...
That argumentis totally new. The argument about whether someone is black enough, I dont know where it came from but this was not an issue 20 years ago. back then yo tail was black even when your skin was white but you could tell there was rythm in that person. So yea dont even stress it.

Son of RA

STAFF
STAFF
Jun 14, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Occupation
Student

Well let me see if I can help you figure this out. Since you have a so called European-type nose from your French or Irish side maybe the French or Irish will accept you. Nope!!! What about the Anglo (English). Nope they wont either!!! Okay let us move on. You mentioned having long hair from your Native American thing. Maybe they will accept you. Nope!!! Remember the Cherokees organizing to kick black folks who claimed Native American status off of the reservation. Well I think we have pretty much narrowed it down. If there is still any confusion of your so called ethnicity don't worry because if you or other Black folks who are giving you problems ever run into the gentlemen below they will be glad to clarify for both of you. Oh I forgot!! If you run into them make sure your mother is present since she "don't generally like" black folks these gentlemen will give her a real lesson of what "don't like" is and at the same time wake her up.

View attachment kkk78.bmp

COMMUNISM

Oct 23, 2014
im south African and you are black okay. anyway biracials are not black and there are PURE Africans with long hair or sharp noses. many of the dogon people of mali have sharp noses and are 100% African and are not mixed at all.

JenaBee63

Jul 12, 2015
atlanta ga
Occupation
Health Technician/Future Paralegal
#################################### I MEANT TO PLACE TAY_TAY QUOTE IN HERE

You don't have to be 100% black to be viewed as black by anyone accept African Americans I bet. I can promise white America see's you as black if you are as you described.

Ya know I never really thought much about the problems some IR people have fitting in. Not black enough and not white enough seems to be a bad place to be. I would think it would boil down to how you identify yourself. It's easy for me to say pick a side and keep it movin but I know that is not reality. I hope you can find your inner identify so you can cope with your outer identity. I do think it starts with you first.

LookingForward

Banned
Jan 10, 2016
Well let me see if I can help you figure this out. Since you have a so called European-type nose from your French or Irish side maybe the French or Irish will accept you. Nope!!! What about the Anglo (English). Nope they wont either!!! Okay let us move on. You mentioned having long hair from your Native American thing. Maybe they will accept you. Nope!!! Remember the Cherokees organizing to kick black folks who claimed Native American status off of the reservation. Well I think we have pretty much narrowed it down. If there is still any confusion of your so called ethnicity don't worry because if you or other Black folks who are giving you problems ever run into the gentlemen below they will be glad to clarify for both of you. Oh I forgot!! If you run into them make sure your mother is present since she "don't generally like" black folks these gentlemen will give her a real lesson of what "don't like" is and at the same time wake her up.

View attachment 381
True, none of those other groups accept these hybrids. I suspect her mother that "don't generally like" Black folks to be a Spic or Caucasian. Cubans can belong to different groups.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Allow the N Word - yes or no?

• yes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • no

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • not sure

Votes: 6 42.9%

Latest profile posts

Life is a poem, love is the pen.
Charles Thompson wrote on Enki's profile.
Good evening
Destee wrote on Angela22's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! ... :dance4: ... Welcome Home! So good to have your sweet Spirit in the house! ... YAAAAAAY USSSSS! ... :yaay: :yaay: :swings: ... :heart:
Angela22 wrote on Enki's profile.
I hope all is well with you. Much love.:love:
Destee wrote on Charles Thompson's profile.
Hi Chuck ... is that you?!!! ... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!! ... :yaay: ... I sure hope so! I have thought of you often! If it is not you, sorry for writing on your profile page @Charles Thompson and Welcome! ... :wave: