Black People : Your views on Freemans views

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by That Jones Boy, Nov 6, 2006.

1. That Jones Boy

That Jones Boy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Whats your view on Morgan Freemans views on black history month.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK - Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is "ridiculous."

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday (7 p.m. EST). "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Black History Month has roots in historian Carter G. Woodson's Negro History Week, which he designated in 1926 as the second week in February to mark the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.
    Woodson said he hoped the week could one day be eliminated — when black history would become fundamental to American history.

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10482634/

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

To a degree, his argument is correct. However I disagree with this:

"...and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

Not talking about it will not eradicate racism or dismantle the system of white supremacy. The only Solution is REAL Black Revolution...

3. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50
    Morgan Freeman

He is out of his mind.

4. That Jones Boy

That Jones Boy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    yeah that part about to stop talking about racism is the way to solve was without doubt the lamest part of what he said, makes him sound like some kind of human orstrich.
    Ignoring something rarely makes it go away.

The stop calling me part was lame too, the names don't create the hate its mentality that does that.
    I kind of get where he is coming from on the relegating the the history to a month thing,
    But the way I see the month thing is just to make sure there is at least some point where the mainstream media covers black history its not really about saying black history should only be taught or thought of for one month but making sure that there is at least some period where even the mainstream has to acknowledge it.
    should still make every effort to make sure its constantly taught and acknowledged though.