Black People : Your Inner Voice

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by cherryblossom, Mar 16, 2010.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Feb 28, 2009
    Five Pathways to Listening to Your Inner Voice

Is your life out of sync with your priorities?
    Do you feel like you're a hamster running on a wheel?
    Have you forgotten who you are?

If you answered YES to any of these questions, read on. Learn to listen to your inner voice - the essence of who you are - by following these five steps:

Check in with your heart.
    Social conditioning teaches us to be logical and "use our heads". When you only use your head, your experience of yourself and the world is limited. You miss out on the vital information the rest of your body, heart and soul is giving you.
    Benefits: The same neurological tissue found in the brain is found in the heart. The heart is a second "brain" and our emotional center. Listening to your head and your heart is crucial to good decision-making about your life, your business and your relationships.

New Focus: Put your hand over your heart and focus there - what is it telling you?

Connect with your body.
    Your body gives you a tremendous amount of useful information that you may not be conscious of. For example, when your mother-in-law visits, does your stomach tie up in knots? When your boss yells at you, do your shoulders turn into stone? When you feel passionate and alive, does your chest feel warm and open? When we ignore the body's message, we lose out on valuable information designed to let us what works for us and what doesn't.
    Benefits: For many people, fear manifests as a tightness in their chest. This is valuable information, especially if you aren't aware that you are afraid. Your body alerts you to what makes feels passionate and what doesn't. The body is a fount of wisdom designed to tell you when you're on the right path and when you aren't....
  2. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mar 13, 2010
    +565 / -0
    Traditional religions often teach us that the flesh is weak, but the mind is strong. I think the flesh is the heart. Not our beating hearts that serves the sole purpose of exchanging oxygen to co2, but our emotional hearts.

Mind over matter. Mind over flesh. Mind over heart.

When people say 'follow your heart' it means to take a non-traditional path, one that may be contrary to what family and community says is important. That's why religion doesn't want you lead with your heart, but with your mind. Your mind is what they can control, not your heart... your heart is your 'inner voice.'

Heart, flesh, and matter is also associated with the feminine, with a woman. Women are always considered 'weak of flesh' and 'emotional' and must be controlled... often by a MINDful man. Because men are not suppose to be 'emotional' and 'weak... of flesh' like a woman. Hence another reason for the whole 'men as the head of household' (and head of a woman) thing.

But I know better. They can't be seperated - mind and matter, mind and flesh, mind and heart.

I think of it like this....

The heart is your instinct. It doesn't think, it FEELS. It has sudden impulses and acts on a whim based on your emotions or experiences. The mind is the one to decipher what the heart feels, tries to make sense of it, and analyze it. It is LOGICAL. They mind can not act without the heart. If there is no feeling, then what can it analyze?

For instance, you've met someone and you're in love. You heart is jumping up and down, it is so happy, and you're releasing all these endorphins. But your mind says 'hold up a minute. You're going to fast. Lets me ask you some questions about this guy first.' See how they work in tandem?

My mind is always thinking and analyzing but my inner voice doesn't talk to me much. What it has done of late is tell me 'be cool, don't fret. Everything will be OK.' I started a vocational school and got kicked out the 2nd day of school, and now they say I'm suspended permanently. I put all my eggs in one basket, had so much riding on this one thing - and it fell through like an earthquake devours ground. I was so distraught and in so much despair that I think my own existence is a fluke and not being here anymore looked attractive enough. I worried and I stress. Then some little thing, a voice, eased its way in and said 'don't let her be your last word. Do what you have to do to try and remedy the situation and you will be OK. You will be back in.' I think that is my heart telling me that. My mind is analyzing what I must do to 'remedy' the situation so I can get back in. I am fairly confident that I ill be starting school again in august.

The last time I had such a keen feeling of positivity in despair, I was homeless over a year ago and feared I wouldn't get a place to stay in time of being put out the shelter.