Black People : Your favorite black historical figure?

Nat Turner used to be my fav until I ran into accounts of John Horse and the Black Seminoles. Mass, protracted resistance where almost as many whites were killed as in the War of 1812 (my bad - I've written before, the "revolutionary" war) and lived to tell the tale, as opposed to a band of brothers killing something like 70 slavers and all being hung. At any rate, that "The Confessions of Nat Turner" (by William Styrons who wrote "Sophie's Choice") was #1 on the New York Times best seller list and is taught in public schools.... and John Horse is not, makes me wonder why.

But, whateva. :news:
Because "The Confessions of Nat Turner" is just a piece of racist propaganda! For a more accurate historical account, read "The Fires of Jubilee, Nat Turner's Fierce Rebellion", by Stephen B. Oates who is also a European. Smile

Nat Turner used to be my fav until I ran into accounts of John Horse and the Black Seminoles. Mass, protracted resistance where almost as many whites were killed as in the War of 1812 (my bad - I'itten before, the "revolutionary" war) and lived to tell the tale, as opposed band of brothers killed something like 70 slavers and all being hung. At any rate, that "The Confessions of Nat Turner" (by William Styrons who wrote "Sophie's Choice") was #1 on the New York Times best seller list and is taught in public schools.... and John Horse is not, makes me wonder why.

But, whateva. :news:

I see your point. John Horse and his people waged a successful and costly to the US war that lead to the Black Seminoles being a truly self determining and unconquered people who overthrew the shackles of slavery and the yoke of white and US oppression in the most definitive and undisputed terms. John Horse and Black Seminoles are truly a exemplary model and true testament of Black resistance and African resiliency. Their body count is legendary too.

Of course, someone would want to their legacy under wraps. Against all odds, they gave the US its first true and tragic defeat.

Orunmila.

This is not to, in any way, create disharmony, it is to draw attention to parallelism, bro. Babasola.

Some backdrop, I've always held our disunity largely results from a failure to recognize that paradigm issues set up apart. Biblically, Oloddumare can be said to be tantamount to God; and Orunmila equivalent to Yashua, Jesus, Eashoa.

Orunmila represents the wisdom, the intelligence, and the cleverness that can superpose the badly. When Oloddumare created the Universe, Orunmila was there like witness. It is why it knows the destiny to everything what exists. That is also why he is called the eleri-ipin ibikeji Olodurmare (Witness of all the creation and the second in charge after Olodumare).
http://cubanyoruba.blogspot.com/2007/04/orunmila.html

Having said this, are we, as a people, really that far off base in our thinking?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on $$RICH$$'s profile.
$$RUCH. SO COOL.VBRO. WHAT MY bornday. Again. Destee. June. U didn't call. Phone me. I'm loosingbit. In my dopamine euphoria. None stop. I send my new pic. Noylt. Me. That guy. Wears 1x. I wear.b3x. Ok love Destee Fam. Errors I don't care ok. Love
Destee wrote on MANASIAC's profile.
I saw you ... :yaay: ... Welcome Home! ... :flowers:
Back