Black People : Your favorite black historical figure?

Dang y'all took my hero. I guess that is because of the impact, the energy and the legacy of this hero. It is none other than the honorable Rev. Nat Turner.

My sentiments exactly Blackbird, glad you posted this. It wasn't until when our high school class, and text book, begin to teach on Nat Turner, did I wake up from falling to sleep, in class ... All the other stuff being taught about us was an extremely bitter pill to swallow.

Yes Siree, Nat is my hero too! He took it to em.

Nat Turner used to be my fav until I ran into accounts of John Horse and the Black Seminoles. Mass, protracted resistance where almost as many whites were killed as in the War of 1812 (my bad - I've written before, the "revolutionary" war) and lived to tell the tale, as opposed to a band of brothers killing something like 70 slavers and all being hung. At any rate, that "The Confessions of Nat Turner" (by William Styrons who wrote "Sophie's Choice") was #1 on the New York Times best seller list and is taught in public schools.... and John Horse is not, makes me wonder why.

But, whateva. :news:

Another winner/personal hero: Queen Nzinga of Angola, the world's first abolitionist. For a good account of her exploits - in addition to online sources - I would suggest Dr. Chancellor Williams, "The Destruction of Black Civilization." One of the things I like about her best was, well, one of the things I like about John Horse, i.e., each fought to the bitter end and each lived to a ripe old age, Nzinga dying in her bed and John Horse having a heart attack at about age 80, and dying, well, on his horse. In addition to keeping their people FREE. Nzinga started fighting Europeans and degenerate African chieftains who waged war on weaker tribes and sold their POWs into slavery as a teenager. It was only AFTER she died at about age 80... in her bed.... that Angola was conquered and colonized.
Wasn't Queen Nzinga suspected of poisoning her own brother for being a SELLOUT? Smile She apparently acted on Malcolm X's "By Any Means Necessary" long before he was born!

Who's your favorite black historical favorite? Or one of your favorites, if you have more than one? It can be someone who's still alive.

Or you can name two, because that's how many I'm going to name. :p

Huey P. Newton
Malcolm X (especially after he left the NOI and went to Mecca, although it's his life taken as a whole that makes him special to me)
Haitian General Dessalines, who told his soldiers to "march across the island and kill everything white"! Smile He led the only successful slave rebellion in the western hemisphere!!!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on $$RICH$$'s profile.
$$RUCH. SO COOL.VBRO. WHAT MY bornday. Again. Destee. June. U didn't call. Phone me. I'm loosingbit. In my dopamine euphoria. None stop. I send my new pic. Noylt. Me. That guy. Wears 1x. I wear.b3x. Ok love Destee Fam. Errors I don't care ok. Love
Destee wrote on MANASIAC's profile.
I saw you ... :yaay: ... Welcome Home! ... :flowers:
Back