Black Spirituality Religion : YOUR FAVE SPIRITUAL LITERATURE?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by SAMURAI36, Sep 14, 2006.

1. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    PEACE ALL:

I was curious as to what everyone's 5 (or more) favorite spiritual pieces of literature are.

They can be actual scriptures, or books written by authors, poety, etc.

Feel free to also discuss what draws you to each of these books, and even an exerpt from it/them, if you so wish.

Here are mine (in no particular order):

*The PERT EM HERU (Egyptian Book of Coming Forth By Day)

Incorrectly titled "Book of the Dead" by the white man, this was the book that made me actually abandon the Abrahamic Systems (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) altogether, and focus on finding the origins of spiritual ideology. This is the one that started it all.

Favorite quote: "Hail Ausar, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Prince of Gods...His exsistence endures forever."

*The I-CHING (Book Of Changes)

This book taught me the mathematical aspect of spirituality; that nothing is left to chance, and if we can find the code that exsists within our Spirit, then we can become masters of our own exsistences.

Favorite quote: "Be ready for unexpected events, and be flexible in how you handle them. Rigid, inflexible plans should be avoided. Act naturally, honourably and truthfully, without greed, ambition or desire, as would the 'Innocent'". (Hex #25, the Wu-Tang square)

* METU NETER

This was the book that actually pulled me out of the the world of the artificial, and gave me the tools with which to enhance my physical, mental and spiritual Self. Without this knowledge, I would most likely still be trapped in the realm of the SAHU.

Favorite Quote: None (READ THE BOOK!!)

* LOST FOUND MUSLIM LESSONS (120)

These documents taught me how to interpret the theology of the Abrahamic religions, and put them into a more esoteric perspective.

Favorite Quote: "Q: Who is the Original Man? A:The original man is the Asiatic Black man; the Maker; the Owner; the Cream of the planet Earth - Father of Civilization, God of the Universe." (Student Enrollment, Knowledge Degree)

*THE HOLY QUR'AN (M. Muhammad Ali translation)

Though I don't necessarily adhere to the Islamic covenant any longer (save the esoteric aspects), The Qur'an has always struck me as a power writing.
    It's actually the most read book in the world (yes, even over the Bible!!)

Favorite quote: "The Romans are vanquished,
    In a near land, and they, after being vanquished, shall overcome,
    Within a few years. Allah's is the command before and after; and on that day the believers shall rejoice....."
    Surah of the Romans, 30:2-4

*TIBETAN BOOK OF TRANSFORMATION

Incorrectly called the Tibetan Book of the Dead (what is it with white people, and their affinity/phobia of death??), this was the book that taught me to re-examine my notions of life and death.

Favorite Quote: "Herein lieth the setting-face-to-face to the reality in the intermediate state: the great deliverance by hearing while on the after-death plane, from 'The Profound Doctrine of the Emancipating of the Consciousness by Meditation Upon the Peaceful and Wrathful Deities'" (Book 1: The Chikhai Bardo-Thodol and the Chönyid Bardo-Thodol)

~Honorable Mentions~

*The works of KHALIL GIBRAN

My favorite work from this masterful Poet, among many, is the 7 SELVES. In this piece, he looks at the variations of himself while in trance, and comes to a reckoning betwixt them all.

GIBRAN's esoteric Islamic spirituality is captivating, to say the least.

Favorite Quote: "When the seventh self thus spake the other six selves looked with pity upon him but said nothing more; and as the night grew deeper one after the other went to sleep enfolded with a new and happy submission.

But the seventh self remained watching and gazing at nothingness, which is behind all things."

*The RUBAIYAT

Like Gibran's works, the RUBAIYAT is seen as the Sufi's unofficial scripture. However, unlike Gibran's works, it is far more simplistic in design, but no less profound.

Favorite Quote: "With them the seed of Wisdom did I sow,
    And with mine own hand wrought to make it grow;
    And this was all the Harvest that I reap'd--
    I came like Water, and like Wind I go."

(Quatrain #28)

PEACE

2. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    here are some of mine,or at least the ones I can buy for the time being,

Zulu Shaman: Dreams,Prophecies and Mysteries.

This book has to much data that would be my 'favorite' to put on so I suggest you just read it.

Falling out of Grace:Meditations on loss,healing,and wisdom.

By:Sobonfue E. Some

this book also has to much stuff to add for me at the time,I suggest you read this to.

It may not be 'spiritual" (ie natural) but this book, THE ART OF WAR has many aspects that can put put to use for social/economic action for our people as well as spiritual, I had only read a few pages from the book and caught myself trying to steal it, so I have to get the book and use some of the aspects (if not all) for our people and see how it goes.

3. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    Among some others, I like:

Metu Neter
    The Kybalion~"Three Initiates"
    The Holy Tablets~Malachi Z. York
    The Secret Doctrine~Blavatsky
    The Ancient Mysteries of Melchizedek~Melchizedek Y. Lewis
    Fourteen Lessons in Yogi Philosophy~Yogi Ramacharaka
    Advance Course in Yogi Philosophy and Oriental Occultism~Yogi Ramacharaka

Also, many titles from here: http://kessingerpublishing.com/
    It's pretty addictive, though.

4. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234

Ah, the ART OF WAR!! I'd forgotten all about that book.

I would indeed consider that a spiritual book, especially since many of the concepts can be applied to one's spiritual development, as you alluded to.

PEACE

5. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I third the recomm for Sun Tzu's work...you can download it free on gutenberg...http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/132

6. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    PEACE KEMETKIND:

Your proposal is worthy of discussion......However, in the spirit of seeking to honor the focus of any and all threads, how about we create a new one, in which to discuss this?

PEACE

7. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Done...

8. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,318
    Why, anything written of the Prophets of the Father, of course! Such as all of the Holy Doctrine, whether allowed in the Bible or no, writings of Josephus and so forth(there's a lot).

Nothing more could be my favorite than the Word of the Father spoken and written in His Holy Spirit.

I'm drawn to them because it all speaks truth, shows the Way of life, and was given to us in love; just as the Holy Son only speaks truth with His Holy Teachings, has shown the Way of Life through His sacrifice for our sins, and was given to us in love by the Father, who also resurrected His Son the 3rd day confirming all of this.

I'm drawn to them, because it shows me and all others how we should live in faith and belief, that life and happiness in worshiping the Father may be ours forevermore.

9. Gridlock

Gridlock Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Holy Quran
    Tao Te Ching