Black People : YOUNGSTER'S BLACK-POWER POEM RILES SCHOOL

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by I-khan, Mar 16, 2006.

1. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    It is funny how her poem will make an(probably white,or a black person with no knowledge of self but what the media projects) adult angry,but when the child is lied to in terms of education,the parents have nothing to say.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 13, 2006 -- YOUNGSTER'S BLACK-POWER POEM RILES SCHOOL
    A 7-year-old prodigy unleashed a firestorm when she recited a poem she wrote comparing Christopher Columbus and Charles Darwin to "pirates" and "vampires" who robbed blacks of their identities and human rights.
    Hundreds of parents of Peekskill middle- and high-school students received a recorded phone message last week apologizing for little Autum Ashante's poem, titled "White Nationalism Put U in Bondage."

"Black lands taken from your hands, by vampires with no remorse," the aspiring actress and poet wrote. "They took the gold, the wisdom and all the storytellers. They took the black women, with the black man weak. Made to watch as they changed the paradigm of our village.

"Yeah white nationalism is what put you in bondage. Pirates and vampires like Columbus, Morgan and Darwin."

Autum was invited to speak at the Westchester schools on Feb. 28 by Melvin Bolden, a music teacher at the middle school who advises the high school's Black Culture Club and is a member of the Peekskill City Council.

Autum, whose résumé includes several television appearances and performances at the Apollo Theater and the African Burial Ground in Manhattan, told The Post that her poem was meant to instill pride in black students and to encourage them to steer clear of violence.

"I don't think there's anything wrong with my poem. I was trying to tell them the straight-up truth," Autum said. "I'm trying to tell them not to fight because they're killing the brothers and sisters."

Autum, who is home-schooled in Mount Vernon and speaks several languages, prefaced her performance at the high school with a Black Panthers' pledge asking black youngsters to not harm one another.

It did not sit well with parents.

In a telephone interview with The Post, Bolden said Autum has been "unofficially" banned from performing in a district school again and that school officials would review transcripts of future speakers.

"It's unfortunate, because some teachers said they wanted this little girl to explain the things she said to their students, but some parents don't want her on school grounds," Bolden said.

"[The poem] might have been a little too aggressive for what the middle-school kids are ready to handle," Bolden added.

Kimberly Greene, a mother of children in the high school and middle school, said she was shocked when she got the recorded phone message.

"If there are people who are upset about what she said, the schools should have talked about and analyzed it rather than send a message to everyone saying this little girl was offensive," Greene said.

Autum's father, Batin Ashante, said he can't believe the fuss over his daughter's poem.

"She's a little girl who does poetry about real things. She doesn't do poetry about cotton candy," Ashante said. "She's a serious little person."

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/60921.htm

2. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    That's an incredible story....again..thanks for sharing. I will say, that it makes me tremendously proud that such a little one has more courage (or fearlessness should I say?) in her short years here than most will EVER develop in a lifetime. If her parents opt, they should sue for the banning.....even if she doesn't stay in the public schools, they should go for the money. How can they ban her for exercising her right to speak??

3. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Obvious to the adult, but deep insight for someone her age. It's ashame she would get in trouble making that, but it's doesn't come as a surprise to me.

Interesing that she was homeschooled.

4. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    Man I wish I could have been there to see them frown on the truth!
    I would like to meet her parents because they must have taught her well!

5. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    woooo weee! 7 years old! This made my insides smile.

Our future looks a lot brighter with a generation like that coming through.

Thanks once again for the link I-khan.

6. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    youngster's...

wait a minute,this child is seven years old and bringin it like that?,haaaaa,right on little sister right on,i love it.

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    This is what I am talking about!

This generation will look very bright.

CD

8. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    And who says Black parents can't effectively rear their children?!

9. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    Thank you for the link brotha I-khan :grouphug: it made my morning :)

HOMESCHOOL DA BABIES MY PEOPLE!!!

I can only hope if I bear seed one day she/he will be like this :) :look: :read:

10. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Not believing everything, I wonder how many Black parents were actually offended by the truth? I mean, we talk about the theft of our history amongst each other all the time. I just can't believe Black parents would be appalled by such a poem.

Anyhow, I give much props to our little Sister for speaking the truth. Many children (even some parents) don't have any concept of drastic measures taken which landed us in this mental state of exile. It's something purposely excluded from American History books.

Sweet Little Sister, Your message was not in vain!

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Black yaungster school