Black People : "Young People", Toni Morrison and Cornel West.

Ever since Cornel West called Amy Goodman a "sister," I turned my ears away.

Quite naturally, out of respect for you, I listened--but I regret it.

African people need less analysts and more builders.

Du Bois over one-hundred years ago wrote on what Cornel called "Materialism" in his fit of 'big words' which Du Bois more accurately called Mammonism.

In the Black World, the Preacher and Teacher embodied once the ideals of this people,—the strife for another and a juster world, the vague dream of righteousness, the mystery of knowing; but to-day the danger is that these ideals, with their simple beauty and weird inspiration, will suddenly sink to a question of cash and a lust for gold. Here stands this black young Atlanta, girding herself for the race that must be run; and if her eyes be still toward the hills and sky as in the days of old, then we may look for noble running; but what if some ruthless or wily or even thoughtless Hippomenes lay golden apples before her? What if the Negro people be wooed from a strife for righteousness, from a love of knowing, to regard dollars as the be-all and end-all of life? What if to the Mammonism of America be added the rising Mammonism of the re-born South, and the Mammonism of this South be reinforced by the budding Mammonism of its half-awakened black millions? Whither, then, is the new-world quest of Goodness and Beauty and Truth gone glimmering? Must this, and that fair flower of Freedom which, despite the jeers of latter-day striplings, sprung from our fathers’ blood, must that too degenerate into a dusty quest of gold,—into lawless lust with Hippomenes?​
–W.E.B. Du Bois in “The Souls of Black Folk” 1903 (Emphasis mine)​

Neither Cornel nor Morrison, bless her heart, could hold a candle to Du Bois and Du Bois was a traitor!

And I definitely despise the idea of Cornel influencing our youth; despite that he's a Brother.

Ever since Cornel West called Amy Goodman a "sister," I turned my ears away.

Quite naturally, out of respect for you, I listened--but I regret it.

African people need less analysts and more builders.

Du Bois over one-hundred years ago wrote on what Cornel called "Materialism" in his fit of 'big words' which Du Bois more accurately called Mammonism.

In the Black World, the Preacher and Teacher embodied once the ideals of this people,—the strife for another and a juster world, the vague dream of righteousness, the mystery of knowing; but to-day the danger is that these ideals, with their simple beauty and weird inspiration, will suddenly sink to a question of cash and a lust for gold. Here stands this black young Atlanta, girding herself for the race that must be run; and if her eyes be still toward the hills and sky as in the days of old, then we may look for noble running; but what if some ruthless or wily or even thoughtless Hippomenes lay golden apples before her? What if the Negro people be wooed from a strife for righteousness, from a love of knowing, to regard dollars as the be-all and end-all of life? What if to the Mammonism of America be added the rising Mammonism of the re-born South, and the Mammonism of this South be reinforced by the budding Mammonism of its half-awakened black millions? Whither, then, is the new-world quest of Goodness and Beauty and Truth gone glimmering? Must this, and that fair flower of Freedom which, despite the jeers of latter-day striplings, sprung from our fathers’ blood, must that too degenerate into a dusty quest of gold,—into lawless lust with Hippomenes?​
–W.E.B. Du Bois in “The Souls of Black Folk” 1903 (Emphasis mine)​

Neither Cornel nor Morrison, bless her heart, could hold a candle to Du Bois and Du Bois was a traitor!

And I definitely despise the idea of Cornel influencing our youth; despite that he's a Brother.

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......Welcome to Destee.com, AbSiblings,

Without hesitation, I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Cornel West, a good brother nontheless, but I'm not sure why you allow Toni Morrison to escape, so to speak; nothing to say about her claiming Bill Clinton as the first black president, and failure to recant since Mr. Obama now properly holds that address?

Peace In,

.......Welcome to Destee.com, AbSiblings,

Without hesitation, I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Cornel West, a good brother nontheless, but I'm not sure why you allow Toni Morrison to escape, so to speak; nothing to say about her claiming Bill Clinton as the first black president, and failure to recant since Mr. Obama now properly holds that address?

Peace In,

Brother Clyde Coger,

I learned from Marcus Garvey to not simply denounce our Brothers and Sisters without knowing them. I do not much know of Toni Morrison besides that I read a book of hers for college and, possibly, didn't get it. If she is the one who denounced Black people by comparing us to some Occidental then I am appalled by her. I thank you for the heads up. I knew some good would come from clicking this thread.

Hotep!

Brother Clyde Coger,

I learned from Marcus Garvey to not simply denounce our Brothers and Sisters without knowing them. I do not much know of Toni Morrison besides that I read a book of hers for college and, possibly, didn't get it. If she is the one who denounced Black people by comparing us to some Occidental then I am appalled by her. I thank you for the heads up. I knew some good would come from clicking this thread.

Hotep!

.......Very admirable ABSiblings,

Rotten.com puts it this way, “in a 1998 essay in the New Yorker, author Toni Morrison described Clinton as our first black president, Blacker than any actual person who could ever be elected in our children's lifetime. She went on to say:

Clinton displays almost every trope of blackness: single-parent household, born poor, working-class, saxophone-playing, McDonald's-and-junk-food-loving boy from Arkansas.

This is just another reason that the Republicans absolutely hated Clinton. He's getting votes from the minorities just for being poor white trash fercrissakes!"

Additional source: http://ontology.buffalo.edu/smith/clinton/morrison.html

Peace In,

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back