Young Men--Time To Shape UP!

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by Mike Ramey, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Mike Ramey

Mike Ramey Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +17
    TIME TO ANSWER THE QUESTION

A few months back, a Central Indiana African American school administrator by the name of Eugene White, held a convocation involving ONLY the young, Black, high school aged males in his school district. As only a brother could do with a group of younger brothers, he laid out the truth concerning poor academic performance, sagging test scores, and a general lack of concern about their educations.

The convocation--better called a declaration of a war on deliberate ignorance--made the pages of the local paper. White kept the meeting hush-hush, so as not to call attention to the situation, nor his comments, nor his students.

The results came back not too long ago. The grades went up, the test scores among these young brothers went up, and access to tutoring, mentors, and academic help also increased.

All due to ONE Black man’s challenge to a group of young brothers.

Recently, the story went from local to national exposure. Not because of the success, but because there are some who were critical of Dr. White’s tactics, caring more that Black males should be made to ‘boost’ their self-esteem, rather than ‘boost’ their academic achievement. Some of White’s critics were white educators…but there were a few Black critics ‘sprinkled in’ for good measure both at the local and national level.

I applaud White’s methods and courage. Not only because I know the man, and know some of his educational background--including his stint as an Assistant Superintendent for the largest school district in the state of Indiana. I applaud him because he answered a central question that many seem to have forgotten when it comes to young Black men.

When ARE some of them going to step up to the plate and focus on their futures, instead of wallowing in the excuse pile, the materialism pile, and the immorality pile?

SURVIVAL VS. SELF ESTEEM:

Now, I can talk about the education structure and the classroom from two solid vantage points. One, as a former teacher. Two, as a former college instructor. If you have read my columns over any particular length of time, you’ve heard some of my war stories about some of our younger brothers who viewed school as a ‘social’ event, rather than preparation for real life.

I could share a few more…but I digress.

I would URGE that Black parents--single or married--get back to the basics and get into their son’s backsides if they are NOT working up to their full potential. There is NO mandate that your son HAS to fail in school. Parent--YOU are raising someone’s future husband. Or, stated another way (to those with daughters) would YOU let your daughter ‘hang out’ with a ‘drop out?’

However, let me throw this in as well…and it is going to take us through the remainder of this month’s column and is AIMED at our YOUNG BLACK men:

WHEN are more of you going to WAKE UP?

You see--while many of the young brothers have been napping, blunting, and/or Rapping--a few ‘little’ things have happened on the national landscape:

1. This nation has entered into a recession. Thus, those WITH an education and a clear criminal background are the ones who are going to be able to find jobs! Employers are cutting back across the board. The ones who get hired are going to have to have the ‘good paper’, meaning a high school diploma AND a college degree.

2. The rules have been changed--albeit quietly--concerning school disciplinary policies. If you are a known troublemaker in school, you will eventually be ‘kicked out’ without a way to get back in, if you are 16 or older.

3. Lastly, and this ties in with number two, the GED requirements have been changed! It used to be that one could be as young as 15 and go into GED programs to take the test.

Not anymore. The TEST and the RULES have changed!

As of January 1, 2002, one must be AT LEAST 17 before they can even take the Pre-GED test. Based upon that assessment of where you are in your education, those who hold GED classes--if you are under 18--will require that you have an exit letter and your past school records to see IF you will be allowed to enter the programs needed to pass the test.

Now, folk can talk all day about ‘self-esteem’. The reality--among Black folk--is another ‘S’ word: That word is called SURVIVAL. A young Black man without an education is NOT going to survive in the working world because they don’t have the credentials to compete. He will quickly become another ‘S’ word WITHOUT an education: a STATISTIC.

There IS no such thing as ‘free money’. You have to work for it.

Prisons are full of those who took the ‘easy’ way out!

PLENTY OF NAYSAYERS:

I can already hear the critics and what they are saying.

Let me sum it up for you, my young brothers. The critics--be they Black or white--will point to a ‘few’ people who have NOT graduated from high school and say that an education is not all that important. In fact, some critics will even say that it may ‘stunt’ your growth as a young Black man to tell you the truth about the need for YOU to take responsibility for your education and academic process.

Let me spell out a few things about critics:

*Their kids are getting their education. If they can get you to THROW your education away, that means less competition for their kids in the job market.

*Most critics already HAVE their education--and are working on MORE. If YOU don’t show up on a college or university campus, you won’t be able to compete with them as well.

I mentioned this point earlier in my column--some of Dr. White’s critics were BLACK. This should underscore the point even harder. There is not only competition OUTSIDE of our community for employment; there is competition INSIDE of our community as well.

THE WORLD OF WORK:

If I may get biblical for a moment, the scriptures hold this principle: “If one won’t work, they should not eat!” Thus, my young brother, if your education is lacking, don’t count on your ‘roadies’ to be paying your bills. That is YOUR responsibility.

Hanging out at home with your mother and father is not the place for a grown man for too long a period of time. Brother, you should be working--not sponging, watching Rap videos, or playing around with your video games.

Can I get an AMEN from the RBSWs...the Righteous Black Single Women in the house?

Another interesting thing about the workplace. Education IS an ongoing thing! In many jobs, there are requirements for continuing education. Lawyers, doctors, teachers, employment directors, probation officers--even restaurant managers have to continue to go to either the company’s school, or to college or university campus, to keep up their certifications and/or stay up-to-date with advances in their profession.

Even police officers have to head to the pistol range a few times a year, or to advance training so they can keep their jobs!

IF YOU DOUBT ME…

Now, if you think that I’m just ‘blowing you a breeze’ with this column, here is a simple test: talk with any jail or prison administrator in your area and ask them about education programs behind bars.

If they are honest, they will tell you the following: Education programs are full…and have a long list of inmates waiting to get in! They will also tell you that the amount of state funding for such programs has been cut--further making it harder for those who missed out, dropped out, or ‘blunted’ their way out--to get an education.

Bottom line my young brother--your grades are your paycheck each and every time your report card comes out. Colleges and universities will offer scholarships to those who have the BEST grades. Competition is tough--even at HBCUs! Grades and green money will get you into college. You may be 14, 15, or 16 now…but 21, 25, and 30 have a way of ‘sneaking up’ on you--real quick!

Sure, you may laugh at those young brothers who are going to class, doing their homework, and getting good grades. However, those same brothers you ARE laughing at now eventually will become managers, employers, and raking in the rewards of investing in themselves by their education. Plus, WHEN those brothers you laughed at, mocked, and ridiculed find the woman of their dreams and are walking down the isle, THAT brother will be an asset to the marriage, instead of a liability.

Who will be laughing then?

In the words of one well known commercial, which I will adjust to close out our time together: “Can you hear what us Old Schoolers are saying--NOW?”

Right on Dr. White! May MORE Black administrators follow your lead!

MIKE RAMEY is the author of THE MANHOOD LINE. A monthly, syndicated column, written for men, from a biblical, business, and common sense perspective. Emails welcomed to [email protected]. © 2003 Mike Ramey/Barnstorm Communications International (16).

2. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    Mike---

I agree with Dr. White's effort, and yours too for that matter. I just want you both to see the bigger picture. We have to do a better job of educating our children and quit letting the school system do it. My cousin (a professor at a HBCU) and I debate about this constantly. He feels the same way you do. I guess you can say I am "somewhat" of a critic. But...I only criticized the TYPE of education, NOT education itself.

You are correct in saying that my children are getting a good education...but you incorrect when you say I am going to send them to college so they can compete for jobs. If they decided they want to be doctors, lawyers, or anything else that requires a liscense to practice, then of course they willl have to attend...but that will be the only way.

My oldest son is 7 and he is in the gifted program at school......but that's because WE taught him how to think...not the school. He already has his first businss and thinks constantly about what business he will have this summer and how many kids he will have working for him. It is just a different mentallity. You all want to teach "get a job" and I want to teach "give a job".

The problem is..many children don't get the benefit of an environment such as my family...and don't have the educational drive as a result...so..what you are telling them, in essence, is 'if you don't do well in school (formal education) and/or go to college, you are doomed to a life of underachievement and mediocrity' and that is simply not the case.

14,15, and 16 year old black youth need hope....that even though they didn't have the guidance they needed (or chose not to follow it) and let the formal education get away from them,
    their are still legal ways to be prosperous (not just get by but prosperous) and contributors outside sports and entertainment.....which is the truth.

I think Dr White is absolutely correct in his apporach...and I will endeavor to do something similar in my community.

3. Mike Ramey

Mike Ramey Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +17
    More have the chance to be successful...

...but don't want to take the risk because of 'what' they will be called by their 'friends'.

There are more two parent households out there in the Black community than we think. And, what your household agrees on is not the same as what another household would agree upon.

Hope is always available for the taking. But many of our young people today are 'plugged in' to the wrong entertainment choices, and think that entertainment is reality.

It is not.

Those pieces of paper are important. The Diploma. The Degree. The High School. The University. It is far better to have the 'good paper' and later decide to change careers, rather than to have 'no paper' and do the same thing.

There are those who don't have the paper, that is true...but the ones I know are always 'kicking' themselves for not getting it when they were younger. Now they are kicking themselves for not taking advantage of the changes in the educational environment....

On line colleges and universities
    Condensed Degree and Advance Degree programs
    Revised rules for the GED
    My personal favorite...correspondence or off campus degree programs.

Dr. White stated a challenge, and these young brothers--for the most part--stepped up to the plate.

There is plenty of hope out here...it boils down to what young people are feeding their minds; and whether or not their parent or parents are monitoring their entertainment and media choices.

Our culture is built on success and perserverance. Many of us have forgotten this...but, there are plenty of us who are more than happy to refresh our memories.

I am merely one of those 'refreshers'.

Mike Ramey:toast:

4. AHMOSE

AHMOSE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    time to revisit this method. this is worth readinig as education is so key for us.

5. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    I've said it a million times before and I'll say it a million once more....

ONLY A BLACK MAN can whip other black men into shape and teach them how to be men.

Only black men can teach teach black males properly and make them improve themselves..

Only black men can properly police the black community and keep it safe.

No one else is qualified.

No one else has the balls to do what it takes.

No one else understands us but us.

6. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19

We DEFINITELY need more black male police officers.

7. wildchild510

wildchild510 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    we need more Black officers who view their Black couterparts as kings and not Dogs. Nowadays most Black cops are spoofs.But yes i agree we need more individuals or institutions that work to educate black youth the way they need to be educated such insitutions like..................MOREHOUSE!!!! (Just saw the oppurtunity to shout out my school.)

8. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    That's true. We need black men who embrace their blackness to be cops; not those who view black culture through white supremacist lenses.

9. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    We just need more black professionals period passing on their skills.

I try to gather apprentices and pass my trade along when I can, but I'd like to open up my own school.

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    truely this was on point and well needed
    i agree fully and thankz for this