YOUNG BROTHERS DOING WHAT YOUNG BROTHERS DO BEST.

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by FLATFOOTFLOOGIE, Jun 19, 2006.

1. FLATFOOTFLOOGIE

FLATFOOTFLOOGIE Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I had the occasion the other day to take a commerical driving test with a number of other drivers, young and older. Some of us passed our test(that does not include me), and some failed, but what I noticed was the stark difference between how the older guys took their defeat as opposed to the younger guys.

It was amazing how the older guys seemed to blame THEMSELVES for not living up to their potential, and the younger guys(to a man!)blamed their failure on the examinerLOL! The older men seemed to spend time asking the examiner for suggestions on what they needed to do to improve themselves for the next test, and the younger guys spent their time cursing the examiner out. Some of the older fellows advised the young guys against inflaming the examiner, and the young guys, knowing the next time they'd not have to be tested by the same examiner, kept on cursing. I told one of the young cats that THIS examiner had friends among the other examiners, and he'd be sure to let them know what a clown you were. That seemed to give at least one of these kids pause.

This is not to say that ALL young guys make excuses, and even if they do, one has to wonder who taught them this is the way to handle adversity. I do know that I was told young, that I made whatever bed I had to sleep in, and that means that I had to be accountable for making that bed a nice place to lay down in. I was also told that tomorrow is a new day. Where you messed up today, you can, if you are committed to improving, rectify what you did wrong yesterday. As a result, I don't react in extremes to failure and adversity. I've seen it before, and I will see it again, if GOD spares my life.

Granted, there are times when other folks incompetence becomes a part of the equation - like the refs in the Dallas-Miami game.lol! But if you are as good as you think you are, even someone elses incompetence will be nullified by your shine. Making excuses reflects on YOU, and YOU alone. I sure wish, particularly with Father's Day fresh in our minds, that older brothers would be more proactive in, either, providing a clear example of that, or mentoring young guys so that they can manifest a greater sense of confidence in themselves, and responsibility for their own actions.

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Outstanding Post!

Thank you Bro. FlatFoot for this important and powerful message. :thanks:

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    you had a personal experience which is valid.
    you then seem to generalize that to ALL black people.
    that generalization is NOT valid.

4. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31

I don't see him generalizing James.

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    the generalization is in the title of the thread.

6. FLATFOOTFLOOGIE

Ratings:
    +2
    Brother James, if it isn't in the title, it will be in a phrase, such as "untutored mob of negroes." Just what is your job here, to moderate, or to nitpick over each and every word one posts?

Tell me something. Are you a teacher, a college professor, a lingusitic expert, or an editor for a great metropolitan newspaper? If you are not among the afore-mentioned what qualifies you to dissect the words and the writings of anyone who posts here unless they are outright being insulting of disruptive?

There's no general consensus to corroborate your criticism about what I wrote, either, so it's got to be YOUR OPINION, brother, and you've no qualifications to actually render that opinion, do you? Anyone who goes around calling people "RABID" and "STUPID" as I've seen you do in a couple of your posts, needs to be much more circumspect than you are, don't you think?

7. FLATFOOTFLOOGIE

Ratings:
    +2
    Aglo, great post!

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i take it from your response that i am not permitted to disagree. excuse me.

9. FLATFOOTFLOOGIE

Ratings:
    +2
    James, you may disagree until your very heart is content, sir... Dear, dear, me:kick: LOL!