Black People : Young boy speaks on the N word

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, Aug 26, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
  2. Bast Bastet

Bast Bastet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +57
    Jonathan Mccoy: 11-Year Old Boy Speaks Out Against The "N" Word

Jonathan E. McCoy gave a rousing speech earlier this year to his church in Baltimore about why our community needs to drop the 'N' word. His speech, "A New Petition," called for the discontinuation of that six-letter word, and the slang usage of the word.

"I'm sending a message to everyone who knowingly or ignorantly uses this word to describe our people, whether you're a gangster rapper who uses it to communicate with your boys, or someone who looks down on us who haven't got a college education," said the pint-sized orator. "Whatever the case, it's time to discontinue the use of this word. It is implausible that 40 years after the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., we still use this word that holds no worth in our lives nor our future."
    http://www.bvblackspin.com/2009/09/29/jonathan-mccoy/

3. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    This young man is AWESOME!!! I just say this video on my facebook page, my daughter had posted it and was bragging on him. It need to be shared throughout our community.

If the majority of our young men where like this young man, I think we could accomplish anything we choose to accomplish and no one could stand in our way. We still can...we just need to start producing character in our next generation as this young man demonstrates.

I consider myself a good father who try to instill character and knowledge into my children, but watching this young man makes me feel like I gotta get on the ball. Props to his parents!!!

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I have to bow to this young man for doing what many of us could do !
    he is truely awesome , now all we have to do is follow his lead

We should bannish the use of it long ago and re-place it with something positive

5. StefiA

StefiA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +215
    I have never understood why some black folk have used this word to each other when you have the perfectly acceptable word 'brother' as used by people here - a word which when you hear it suggests family and togetherness and not hate and oppression.

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    It's been used worldwide due to our conditioning / our mental entrapment and our
    inner self stupidity, we been so badly brainwash to accept it and deliver it ,
    We keeping the slave owners trade mark alive like a living legacy of the legends.

Now the Question is how many are willing to let it go, STOP the use of it
    and never say it again !????

can we do it or will we do it is the key !

7. Bast Bastet

Bast Bastet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +57
    James Baldwin on this...

8. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Because they are ignorant,just as I was before A brutha enlighten me. I called him this during a conversation we were having and he stopped and said"don't call me that". I looked at him,confused and asked him "what"?. I actually didn't know what he was talking about then I realized what he was refereeing to. Then I asked him "why not, aren't you black"? He said "yes,but I'm not that".

I wish I could find him to thank him for not allowing me to disrespect him by calling him that and setting me on the path to educate myself and to rid my vocabulary of that word.

Peace!

9. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    What up $$Rich$$ my brutha!!!

I agree,this word was not, is not, a label placed upon black people in which to make them feel good. The intense feeling of disrespect felt amongst our people when referred to by that which they are not clearly defines my point. I had to go to my child's school because some white boy called her a monkey:SuN042:

There is absolutely nothing good to be found in the "N" word. The "N" word is not funny, It's not one of endearment, it's enraging. This word is respectful but disrespectful and I don't use it,I don't call my own this word nor do I allow them to call me it either. This word represents nothing more than ignorance,ignorance on the part of those who choose to refer to themselves as such, and ignorance on the part of those who choose to use the word. So I ask exactly what are we doing in your daily lives, in our homes, our communities, neighborhoods, and schools to abstain ourselves and others from using the "N" word?

We need to simply respect who and what we are and refrain from using the "N" word at all. We also we must all come to the realization the "N" word is demeaning, and that's the bottom line.

Peace!