YOUNG BLACK MEN

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by KWABENA, Sep 21, 2004.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Hey Family!

I think I found that of all the Young Black Men who are being monitored under close surveillance and waiting to be busted range from ages 18-25. And did you know that the government gets paid $35,000 a year to put young black men behind bars?! And that also leads me to believe this is where they get money from to build more prisons across the nation. That is pathetic.

But my point is, I think that thos happening because Black Men ages 18-25 have nothing to when they get out of High School. They are too old for the Rec Centers and the Boys and Girls Clubs (not to mention they are no longer boys by then), college is too much for them (not to mention some of them have families that cannot afford to go to college), I thought about suggesting the military, but you see what they are doing to Iraq (not to mention the fact that once you are in, they do not let you out), and they are not accustomed to being in church (not to mention their parents do not and did not take them). And you cannot tell them to go to the basketball courts every single day. Most of these young men come from single parent homes where single parents cannot see and do everything.

Then we have the streets, clubs, bars, malls, and every place where tragedy easily occurs and melee's break out. I am trying to think of a way to prevent that; I am trying to think of a place where they can go and stay out of trouble, and a place where law enforcement can stay off of their backs. I am saying this after fianlly being sick of seeing nothing but young Black Men just hanging out on the corners and in front of corner stores doing nothing. They will just talk, abuse drugs, and all that other stuff that leads them to Cell Black A-1.

My question to you is:

HOW CAN WE END THIS? WHERE CAN THEY GO TO STAY OUT OF PRISON?

Cedric Denson

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    IRAQ!

after the November elections they will be going to Iraq in large numbers.

two birds with one stone, eh?

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I fine it to be on point that many young black men are jailed and heavy monitored
    what can we do to help curb some of this from happening is step up as big bruthas
    and help guide these young men from our communities by showing them the work
    force which will take up lots of there time , guide them in a direction of respect ,
    teach them to know they are somebody and worthy help them start a clean up
    crew for the inner community get them in summer programs like the YMCA ! if
    some are from broken homes , single parent homes , fatherless homes we as men
    can be a line of defense to help these young men to a future before they get lost
    in the streets and surely trouble will find them .

4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    :thanks:

For both of your concerns. It just shows how much interest we take in ending this epidemic with Young Black Men going to Prison.

Cedric Denson

5. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    A person has to want to change in order to change.

If they cannot get past that first sentence that answers your question.

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Young black males have been sent to jail for cheap prison labor (currently pennies a day) since the end of slavery! WEB Du Bois recognized this trend back in 1903 (he wrote about this subject in the Souls of Black Folk). This is reflected in the unequal & unjustice differences in prison sentences between whites & blacks. It is a fact that whites are arrested in both greater numbers & more often than black people. However blacks receive both a higher number & percentage of prison time...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why! We as a people have to recognize this and stop playing the prison game. The gov-ment doesn't need that much of a reason to lock black folk up, so let's not give them any reason!

7. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    Right. They may be too old for rec centers and Boys and Girls Clubs... but what about jobs (it can be as simple of helping an elderly person around the house), libraries, volunteering at afterschool programs, and becoming mentors themselves.

8. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Not every Young Black Man in the community can afford a job. Not all of them are capable of getting jobs. Not every single mother has the right resources. We need to help them out. When they graduate from High School, not all of them have parents who can pay for them to go to colege, and with Europeans having all the power, they don't want to hire black folk. Let's stretch the amount of Black businesses in America, and I think we will be just fine.

Cedric Denson

9. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cedric I couldn't agree more. Everyday I see young Black men who routinely stand on corners and sell drugs. It's sad to see that this is all they felt they could resort to; that this is all there was for them. Even the young Black brothas that I work with resort to selling drugs. It isn't always enough to have the job because the economy sucks, the pay isn't enough and benefits are scarce. Everytime I talk to them about stuff like this the majority of them say that this isn't something they would be doing if they had the choice between this and college, assuming college could be afforded and persued. There's this guy I know that just graduated from college, (a really good one at that) has been pounding the pavement and giving his all but still hasn't been hired. He's an extremly bright person and the field he majored in is in demand. How no one has hired him yet I'll never know but it just seems like no matter how much you follow the rules, nothing is guaranteed. Selling drugs and hustling is what they resort to.

No one wants to go to war just to get by. Prison has nothing good about it. So where do our brothas go? And our sisters for that matter.

I, for one, have tried everything and college just is not affordable. It's ridiculous that it costs so much. But I'll take on 14 jobs before I stand on anyones corner. I almost enlisted in the Marines but after talking to a recruitment officer I can't do it. It's not worth it. So I really can't say what could help our young people. Persistance is all I can come up with.

10. islander

islander Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I honestly believe that a good alternative to helping young brothers out is to get them involved in programs such as AmeriCorps where they can make a difference, travel the world, earn money for college, experience life and possibly find themselves in the midst of their travels. Of course, you have to find something that young black brothers are interested in to get them involved. I'm not sure how programs like that work, but if these brothers could spearhead something that they're passionate about and really focus and stick to it, it may make all the difference.

When I graduated from high school, I took the military route, but it's not a matter of them not letting you out...you have to know what you want, get it, and get out. I've seen too many people get stuck in the military lifestyle without accomplishing anything or moving forward in any way. They get so used to the military taking care of them that they're terrified of the idea of standing on their own two feet. So they'd rather stay in and have that comfort of a regular paycheck than get out and put in work.