Black People : Young, black and buried in debt: How for-profit colleges prey on African-American ambition

Emphasis is now being placed on college degrees in the STEM disciplines -- science, technology, engineering and math. The U.S. has fallen behind a lot of countries with producing future employees with these types of degrees and the representation of African Americans on predominantly white college campuses in these disciplines is significantly lower than their white counterparts.

It's not about competency, it's about proper preparation and access for our Black students. There are some faculty and school administrators that believe that Blacks are genetically inferior to whites and, therefore, less intelligent (I know, that's not a major news flash! :mad:.) So they (we) are looked upon as "affirmative action admits" just to add a splash of color to the student body and not much more. For the high achieving Black students, they are always viewed as the exception to the rule -- he or she's really smart . . . for a Black person.

If our students are not coming out of homes where families promote education; or if they are attending schools that are obviously not investing in them, brainwashing them with lies about who they are and their history, where the quality of their education is pathetic; or where they are attempting to learn in hostile school environments, most likely they won't be able to successfully compete at the college level.

Like us, our children need help in establishing a game plan that focuses on their future. A college degree is good to have but, not all college degrees will give you a good return on your investment. College isn't for everyone. Some people 'make it' without one. Being an entrepreneur and owning your own business isn't for everyone. Some people enjoy not having to depend on their own brain juice and energy to earn a living. These are the people who simply want a job (or career) that pays a decent wage higher than the rate of inflation, working 40 hrs a week with some benefits and weekends off. Parents should be investing in their children's future in some kind of way. You don't have to be a parent with letters behind your name to engage in these conversations.

What do you want to be when you grow up? Let's work together to figure out how to get you there.

Great Topic and Posts! :toast:

Today, it's almost as if you can't get a decent job without some sort of piece of paper.

I imagine it's only gonna get worse ... but we gotta keep try'n any way.

It's hard out here for our babies. Thanks for sharing everyone!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

It's not just "our babies".

There are a lot of older Black workers who have been displaced in the workplace and are enrolled in UOP or similar programs and career colleges.

I took one class for only one semester at UOP, in an MBA program and am still repaying back a loan almost five years later, for one course.

You're correct, Bro. Omowale Jabali, more and more adults (non-traditional students) are returning to school to earn graduate degrees, graduate-professional degrees and trades that lead to a different career path. So the debt of an education does not just affect students between the ages of 18-25.

"Student loans for undergraduates are capped at $57,500, but graduate students have no limit, through a "Grad Plus" program that lets them borrow as much as their college charges."

But does President Obama offer some relief?

Obama Plans to Expand Student Loan Forgiveness

GetFile.aspx

Billions of dollars in student loans could be forgiven over the next decade, under a proposal in President Barack Obama's budget to expand the program's income-based repayment system.

Student advocates are enthusiastic over the prospect, but critics complain the expansion could extend a program that already encourages young people to borrow too much money and leave taxpayers with their college bills, reports the Wall Street Journal. They also say forgiving debt gives a taxpayer gift to people who need it the least, such as attorneys, doctors, and other white-collar people with graduate degrees.

The program already allows most borrowers with loans issued since October 2007 to make payments equal to 10 percent of their income after taxes and basic living expenses. After 20 years of on-time payments, or 10 years for people working in public or nonprofit jobs, the rest of the balance is forgiven.
Read more about President Obama's student debt forgiveness program here.

Brother Omowale Jabali ... you're right ... thanks for the correction ... it aint just the babies ... :)

Sister NNQueen ... thank you too for the information! I'm reading and learning ... :research:

Much Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

You're correct, Bro. Omowale Jabali, more and more adults (non-traditional students) are returning to school to earn graduate degrees, graduate-professional degrees and trades that lead to a different career path. So the debt of an education does not just affect students between the ages of 18-25.

"Student loans for undergraduates are capped at $57,500, but graduate students have no limit, through a "Grad Plus" program that lets them borrow as much as their college charges."

But does President Obama offer some relief?

Obama Plans to Expand Student Loan Forgiveness

GetFile.aspx

Billions of dollars in student loans could be forgiven over the next decade, under a proposal in President Barack Obama's budget to expand the program's income-based repayment system.

Student advocates are enthusiastic over the prospect, but critics complain the expansion could extend a program that already encourages young people to borrow too much money and leave taxpayers with their college bills, reports the Wall Street Journal. They also say forgiving debt gives a taxpayer gift to people who need it the least, such as attorneys, doctors, and other white-collar people with graduate degrees.

The program already allows most borrowers with loans issued since October 2007 to make payments equal to 10 percent of their income after taxes and basic living expenses. After 20 years of on-time payments, or 10 years for people working in public or nonprofit jobs, the rest of the balance is forgiven.
Read more about President Obama's student debt forgiveness program here.

They switched my Direct Loan to Sallie Mae and I am still dealing with this right now.

I made sure that my kids didn't have to get in the kind of debt for education loans like I did. They are much better off than me.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back