Black People : YOU YOU ALL THINK THAT ALL THINGS ASSOIATED WITH THE SUPRESSION OF BLACKS... SLAVERY

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by PoeticManifesta, Aug 30, 2005.

1. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    YOU YOU ALL THINK THAT ALL THINGS ASSOIATED WITH THE SUPRESSION OF BLACKS... SLAVERY SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM COMMON PLACES?
    dO WE NEED THE CONSTANT REMINDER...

i WAS LOOKING FOR A DOG, TODAY.. I CAME ACROSS "COONHOUND" NOW WHAT PICTURE CAME TO MIND WAS THE EXACT PICTURE THAT POPPED UP WHEN I ENQUIRED ABOUT THE DOG...
    THESE DOGS WERE NAMED BY THE WHITE PPL.. THEY HAVE AN ORIGINAL BREED NAME, BUT THEY STILL CARRY THE NAME "COON HOUND" WHICH I FIND VERY OFFENSIVE.. ESPECIALLY WHEN I SEARCHED THE HISTORY OF THIS DOG TO MAKE SURE I WAS CORRECT... AND SAW THAT THESE DOGS WERE POPULAR DOWN SOUTH.. WITH ORGINIZATIONS PROUDLY SPORTING THE WORDS DIXIE. sO I WAS CONVINCED.. BUT THEN.. i JUST SEARCHED VARIOUS PHRASES.. ASSOIATED WITH THIS TIME PERIOD.. AND i SAW THAT THE TERMS OF THIS TIME PERIOD WERE SURROUNDING US!

aUNT JEMIMAH... PANCAKES.. MOCKING BLACK PPL.. ORIGINALLY USING "BLACK FACE" PAINT..... AND RED LIPSTICK.. TO MOCK US!

sHOULD WE NOT OWN OUR OWN IMAGE? AS AFRICANS? SHOULD WHITE PEOPLE STILL BE ABLE TO ESPLOIT US SO FOR THEIR OWN GAIN..

I SAY NO! STAND UP! :grouphug:

2. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Doesn't the word "coon hound" mean that the dogs were originally used for hunting raccoon?

3. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Brother BigTown you are correct.

A Coonhound is a dog that hunts raccons, not negros. Being From the south. The Term Coon and CoonDog are two different thangs. Coon of course is a deragatory term, but coondog is simple a hunting dog. Some of my homeboys in da cuntree own a few coon dogs.

Brother Big we dun agreed on something!

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    these dogs was used to hunt down Racoons sniff the trail and track
    a coon into a tree and give a different sound alerting the hunter they
    track and capture a coon they did most of the hunting at night with
    these dogs if i'm not mistaken , i could be wrong but i believe i'm right
    they started breeding them as far back as the 1700's very smart dogs
    coonhounds

but what was the true name of these dogs if they adopted the name
    coonhound???

5. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    CoonHound = Hound That Hunts RacCOON's.

6. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    THAT IS TRUE.. i DID FIND THAT AS WELL IN MY SEARCH FOR THE MEANING,... BUT BEING THAT THE TERM ACTUALLY STUCK DURING SLAVERY, NOT BECAUSE OF THE RATCOONS,...BUT BECAUSE OF THE TERM "COON" THAT WAS USED TO IDENTIFY PPL OF COLOR...
    i FEEL THAT THIS TERM IS A SLAP IN THE FACE. tHE COTRRECT TERM FOR THESE DOGS ARE, CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOGS..... :read:

7. Kingpin

Kingpin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    generic term for hunting hounds

The term "Coon dog" or hound if you will is a generic term for a number of different hounds. Some of the breeds are Red Bone, Blue Tick, Red Tick, even some beagles and bassett hounds are called coondogs if they're used to hunt racoons.

These are just hunting dogs still in use in most states north and south today..

8. Steve69

Steve69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I think from the begining Coon was used as another name for a racoon. Then it was used for certain dogs that tracked coons, so the name coon dog. A lot of plants and animals dont go by their scientific name.
    I dont think you can delete all the names of something because it was also used as a slang name blacks at one time. How many more words would you do this to.
    Seems odd to go after this name when it is used by both races and mainly having something to do with the racoon. But yet the slang "N" word does not even have another meaning but we seem to promote its use as much as we can.

9. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Poetic, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But a Coon Hound is a Coon Hound, it is not a person.

CoonHound is just merely southern slang. I have never seen anyone in my part of the dirty take offense to the word coon hound.