Black People : You just might be KUNTREE...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by cherryblossom, Dec 19, 2009.

?

Are you Kuntree?

1. Yes, I'm as Kuntree as Pot-Likka & Cornbread

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No, I'm too sophisticated to be Kuntree.

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Well, sometimes, my Kuntree does slip out.

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Aiight, peoples!...This is a "JUST 4 FUN" listing, identifying some of the aspects of being so-called "Kuntree."

Thanks to Sister NNQueen for the idea! :)

No matter where you live, you just may have some Kuntree "tendencies" you're not even aware of! (lol)

Feel free to add on....

1. If you have ever called a "Laundromat" the "Wash-a-teria".....you just might be Kuntree.

2. If you have ever referred to "grocery shopping" as "gotta MAKE groc-ries"....you just might be Kuntree.

3. If you have ever used the following words in any context: "anywho," "how-some-ever," or "why-come"....you just might be Kuntree.

4. If you have ever combined the words "No" and "Maam" and answered a female Elder with "Nome"...you just might be Kuntree...

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    I know plenty of so called Souuthern brothers and sisters with strong gullah and geechee,( a term we don't like), accents but never have I heard even since childhood such destruction of english,
    was this from "Living Color"? Mad TV or the old Saturday Night Live with Garret Morris and Eddie Murphy?

3. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +863
    You take a plate home for Mamanem

Your middle name is May, Sue, Jean or Bell and its called everytime your name is called.

If you think a 45 minute one way trip is "just down the road a piece."

If you keep a regular sized bottle of hot sauce in your purse.

If "How you doing" is the preamble for anything that comes out of your mouth.

If you hear someone say, "On erything I love" before the fight breaks out

If you go to church/have a baby shower in the same place you club on Saturday evening.
    If there was more paty in the parking lot than inside the club

If you can go to church and visit you family's family plots in one visit

If you worried that when you get home your home will be repossesed

If you have ever burned grain alcohol to keep warm

4. AntiAlice88

AntiAlice88 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +35

i LOVE that one!! I was raised up north, but born in the south and just returned a couple years ago and that was my favorite part about my last couple years of high school: hearing "on erything i love!" and seeing the fight :)

5. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Well, Ankhur, unlike you, I am a Southern Girl, thru-and-thru, born-n-raised.

As for the Gullah dialect, I'm probably much more familiar with it than you. My mother's side of the family is from Coastal Georgia...So, from Savannah to St. Simons Island to Sapelo Island, GA, I've been exposed to Gullah and its history.

And, NO, none of these words come from tv....They come from REAL LIFE.
    There are Southern people and Northern descendants of Southerners who still speak these words.

I KNOW.....because I've personally heard them from Elders and younger Black people.

I've lived and/or traveled over much of the South.

And these words/phrases come from different areas...

"gotta MAKE groc-ries" comes from the TX/LA border-line area.
    You can even hear people in Houston, TX use this phrase because they picked in up from grandmothers who were raised in LA.

"Nome" is a term I've heard used by Blacks in Arkansas.

"anywho/"how-some-eva"/and "why-come" are used in several Southern regions,usually by Elders.

And a "WASH-A-TERIA" is, sometimes, the actual NAME for a Laundromat in some parts of the South....That is the actual NAME of the place of BUSINESS, actually ON THE BUILDING.

Now, here's another Southern Black history tidbit for ya:

You also might hear a Southern female Elder used the phrase "WASH HOUSE." --Because from slavery through all the years Black women had to work as domestics, they had to scrub and wash and iron White people's clothes....and they did all this heavy, back-breaking, hand-wringing, knuckle-scraping work in a building for that specific purpose and that building was called the "Wash House."

And even though we so-called "sophisticated" folks use the word "Laundromat," you can still, today, hear some Elders call a Laundromat....a "Wash House."

6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Thanks, Sister Bootzey! :toast:

Here's some more...

If you've ever cooked a meal or eaten a meal from a WOOD STOVE, you just might be Kuntree.

If you've ever used a KEROSENE HEATER on a cold winter's night, you just might be Kuntree.

If you've ever had a glass of water from a WELL, you just might be Kuntree.

If you could ever pick up the phone and tell the operator who's house to connect you to, you just might be Kuntree.

If you have ever asked somebody, "Baby, Who yo' peoples?" or "Who yo' peoples is?," you just might be Kuntree.
    :lol:

7. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +863
    CB and y'all,

I was born and raised in NJ! Big up! But my parents and all of their friends were born in the South. They would talk all kinds of trash about the Northern born. It was an interesting experience of being in the North, but being raised Southern. My parents and their friends maid completely sure that we Knew what they went through and all that they experienced. Now I live in Atlanta.... Who Knew? And I find it funny that these southern peope think I have no Knowledge of the south... with southern parents, southern relatives and having gone to college in the South.

The regional differences are often illusions.....

Peace

PS: Those thanks were legit!

8. 360

360 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +148
    There's an interesting old article on this here. It goes soft on the subject though.

9. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Sho nuff, Sister Bootzey! :toast: Many Blacks who live along the Upper Eastern Seaboard, on the West Coast, and the Midwest have some Southern roots.

Many Blacks left the South looking for better jobs and lives, hoping to escape the harsh, dead-end "Share-Cropping" they worked; and they took their language and their cooking and their cultural norms with them.

So, most of us have some so-called "Kuntree" in us even when we don't know it. :lol:

PS: My thanks were legit as well! ;)

10. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Thank you for sharing this article, 360!

I think it made some very good points!...

:toast: