Black People : You Have To Start Somewhere

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Poetpreacher, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Poetpreacher

Poetpreacher Active Member MEMBER

Apr 27, 2013
    Carter nj
    +29 / -0
    Taking the first step has hindered most of us; many people have created a muscle memory which triggers a thought that says, "It wasn't my time". The problem with that way of thinking is that it creates in us a barrier with the building blocks of self doubt, depression and fear. Knowing how to break through those barriers take time and a whole lot of effort and our part.
    Moving from point A to point B creates momentum and once the wheels start to turn, it is very important that we stay on track. There are many distractions out there and if you are not careful, you could find yourself staring at a project that you have started many years ago, wondering why you didn't stay the course and saw it through to the end. There are however, a few things to keep in mind.
    Pace Yourself

I am reminded of the old saying "Rome wasn't built in a day", so over doing it is just as bad as not seeing it through. Take a look at the boxer Floyd Mayweather. I am not a big fan of his (nothing to do with his boxing skills), just the fact I don’t like the way he showboats by flashing his money around. In one instance he literally threw the money on the ground and watched people fought over it like hungry dogs - but that's just me.
    Like him or hate him, when it comes to boxing, he is a master at the craft. One thing’s for sure, he has definitely put the work in. Few boxers have a work regiment that can be compared to Floyd's work ethic. That is one of the keys reasons he is undefeated at this point in his career. The training is the foundation for what's to come later, which is the activation of the largest muscle in the body, the brain. Floyd applies a defensive mechanism that frustrates the heck out of his opponents. He has to think two steps ahead of the guy in front of him in order to avoid being hit. In so doing, he has developed an incredible amount of patience which gives him the ability to throw his counter punches. Waiting for the right time to strike could be the difference between you standing over your opponent, or your opponent standing over you.
    The same is true for those who want to finally take that step towards a forward thinking progressive lifestyle.
    Be Ready for Opportunity

Like Floyd, you have to put the work in. There is no way around it. If you haven't figure out what you want, then you won’t be able to take advantage of an opportunity when it comes knocking on your front door.
    I guess this article is for those who have already figured out what they want to do in life. But for those of you who are still sitting on the side lines, I cannot bring you to the next step until you know exactly what is it that you would like to accomplish. I know many people may look at you and say how come you haven't decided yet. But like many so young people in college who still struggles with the decision of choosing a major, I know it is not that easy. But a decision must be made nonetheless.
    Choose Wisely

You have to feel it. You cannot love what you do, until you do what you love, (that should be an article all by itself). Once you have decided on a particular path - it is then that you will be poised to for success. But choosing that path must be done through a deep thinking thought process, after all, this is your long term future that we are talking about here. There is a very large percentage of people that do not like their jobs. They are frustrated with their career path and struggle to maintain focus. They find that they are more stressed out at home and even when they are off from work, they stress about having to go back. But they have to go back, because the bills have to be paid. This way of going about daily life will undoubtedly open the gateway to an unhealthy lifestyle. Don’t get me wrong I am not saying that you should quit your job; heavens know it is hard enough to even get and maintain one in this economy. What I am saying however is, be one of the few that actually enjoy what they do. This will require you to seek out what is it that you are good at.
    I will explain this factor in the next blog
    Next blog : Finding Your Passion.