Black Spirituality Religion : You Have to Develop "Tunnel Vision"

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by vj57, Jun 17, 2004.

1. vj57

vj57 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    When it comes down to being a Christian, tunnel vision is needed at times.

What I mean is that we Christians have to keep our eyes straight ahead and not look to the sides at what others are doing.

This is a lesson I learned a few years ago. I was deeply hurt by so-called Christians and wanted nothing to do with "religion" or even going to church. Yet, I still believed in God.

I also learned that God deals with us individually. I do not have to pay the price for somebody else's sins. That's why I don't get myself worked up over past atrocities such as slavery. We can't change the past or try to make white people today responsible for it.

God is not a respecter of persons. He will punish ALL who do not obey Him, simple as that. If there are white people who think they are going to be segregated in heaven, their thinking needs to be adjusted. And as for hell, well that will be a BIG disegregated gathering there also.

There are a lot of hypocrites in the churches. Many people go to church on Sunday and, as they say, "Get their word" and then go home. Or to put it plainly, to them God's day is Sunday and Monday through Saturday, they do "their thing".

When I deal with so called Christians who have hurt me, I get with them. Not resorting to cussing, but just telling them I didn't appreciate their actions. And then if they are going to be negative, I just avoid them (or shun them).

Christians are not perfect people. And there have been times I've lost my temper and would slash a person with some cuss words. I've learned to think before I speak.

I can understand why many people talk bad about Christians. Sometimes I feel the same way about Muslims, especially when they were talking about the 9-11 events on the news today. It was the action of these murderous Muslims that angered me so badly, the lost of nearly 3,000 people, yet Muslims claim to be peaceful. Just like many Christians claim to be loving and peaceful, but you have those who hate another on the basis of skin color.

The bible speaks of how can we say we hate our brother who we see but claim to love God who we cannot see.

A lot of atrocities have been committed in the name of Jesus. But non-Christians need to realize that God didn't say that ALL who claimed to be Christians would inherit His Kingdom.

Even those Christians who raise money, give to the poor, etc., some of them can be hellbound. You see, some do this "to be seen by men". God doesn't care if I gave millions to the poor...if my heart is not complete towards Him, a person who have $10 and had a good heart condition would be approved over me.

We also get stumbled by many televangelists who are money hungry hypocrites. Always using some schemes to get people's money. Claiming to have holy water, holy hankies, etc. There are some of them on TV that I just don't have a good feeling about.

But the key to knowing God is prayer. He will reveal truths to you if you just ask. And if you pay attention to YOURSELF and stop looking at others, then you will be blessed beyond words.

I've had blessings in the past few days that have really given me joy. In the natural, things looked bleak, but God's ways are NOT ours. One of the blessings was that a former boss is giving money to my son's university on his behalf to help with tuition. I didn't even ASK this man for one coin; as a matter of fact, just mentioned to him that my son was attending college.

This man said he has never given to this university, which, by the way is an HBCU. This contributor is a wealthy white person. He serves on the board of a predominately white college but is making a very sizeable contribution to my son! And I'm not talking pennies here!

That's why I do not bear hatred towards anyone and refuse to get into too many debates or discussions in negative manner about white people. I have white sisters and brothers in Christ, as well as hispanic, asian and black. Those who are hateful and racist, I don't have to deal with them. They don't pay my bills or feed me.

You see, God will MAKE your enemies your footstool. Sometimes your so-called enemies will GIVE to you quicker than a friend. Serving Him has made me see that no white man or man of any other race can stop His blessings from flowing to me.

I've been in situations (and this is true) where there were whites who conspired to get me terminated from jobs or prevent me from getting a job. And with my strong faith, God defeated them each time. The white woman who LIED on me so badly, she went into shock when she realized that I got a promotion, more money and that I was supporting someone of a higher rank. And the sad thing was that she was also scheming to get the supervisor's position. The supervisor listened to her lies about me and before you know it, she was demoted. And this woman got her job, but she didn't have it long before she got laid off.

I'm a confident person. There's nothing I can't have. And when I set goals, I achieve them. This has also been passed to my son, who has been on a job for less than ONE year and has been promoted. He was going to college part-time (at a community college), but now will be attending a university and stay on campus.

This is the God we serve...One who provides ALL our needs. We focus on HIM and don't bother with the stuff on the sides of the tunnel.

He has blessed me with better health. Two successful surgical procedures and just peaceful sleep at night, not worrying about things.

I hope this has been a blessing to someone. There's nothing for me BUT Christianity, in the TRUE sense of the word. I could never be a Muslim, Hindu, etc. because for me, this is NOT the way of the truth for me. Yet, I respect anyone's right NOT to be a Christian, but in the same token, I want my rights as a Christian to be respected.

I shared this out of love and there's nothing better in my life than loving, knowing, worshipping and obeying the ONLY true God, Jehovah and His Son, my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

2. AUM

AUM Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
  3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    this is truly a shame...smh...for one to align themselves with past and present oppressors really says a lot for the hold the white man still has on us...i hope you open your eyes before it is too late... :driveby:
    one love
    khasm

4. vj57

Ratings:
    +6
    There are a lot of preachers who have "fleeced the flocks" and so many of them are immoral. I can name some preachers who were so immoral and the congregations KNEW it, and excused the conduct.

One example was a preacher who was married but running women left and right. My mother had a problem with that but her brother, a deacon, always excused it.

God was not pleased with this and I leave it in His capable hands to mete justice. He has an account on everyone, the small and the great. That is why we Christians should not get all wrapped up into vengeance...it is His and He will repay.

I know non-Christians are turned off by the conduct of many Christians. But the key is not to lump us ALL in a bunch, just like I had to rid myself of the anger of 9-11-01 and remember that ALL Muslims are not terrorists. Or judge an entire race by the stupid actions of others. ALL white people are not representative of the KKK; likewise, ALL black people should not be viewed as drug dealers, welfare queens, thugs, and other negative labels society may put on us.

Take a person at face value. This is what foreigners should do, instead relying on lies that others tell them about blacks. That is why it has been said that some Japanese people do not like blacks - they have been told lies about us instead of dealing with blacks individually.

I haven't collaborated with Japanese people, but there are several Chinese and Korean people who I know and they are so kind. I have a coworker on my job who is Muslim and very kind. We have different beliefs but there is that respect. And still have more in common, such as both of us are mothers, we love beautiful things in our home, and we enjoy shopping for clothes.

This morning, I am thankful to be alive and it's the love I have for my Heavenly Father that makes me focus on being my best and loving others.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    hi ... my name is Destee and i used to have tunnel vision ... :wink:

great topic Sister vj57!

i posted the following thread, somewhat similar, some time ago:

Spiritual Research - Is it Safe?

It has been such a blessing to have so many Sisters and Brothers willing to share their knowledge, allowing me to have additional views, and not just the one coming from that tunnel.

Thank You Family.

:heart:

Destee

6. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56

Good post Ms. V. Who can argue with logic such as this? :)

7. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    This is the God we serve...One who provides ALL our needs. We focus on HIM and don't bother with the stuff on the sides of the tunnel.

He has blessed me with better health. Two successful surgical procedures and just peaceful sleep at night, not worrying about things.

I hope this has been a blessing to someone. There's nothing for me BUT Christianity, in the TRUE sense of the word. I could never be a Muslim, Hindu, etc. because for me, this is NOT the way of the truth for me. Yet, I respect anyone's right NOT to be a Christian, but in the same token, I want my rights as a Christian to be respected.

I shared this out of love and there's nothing better in my life than loving, knowing, worshipping and obeying the ONLY true God, Jehovah and His Son, my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Now gurl...you said a mouthful here...and I ate every last bit of it. :roll:

God is good...all of the time. :jumping:
    There is NEVER any reason for hatred when Love is so good.

8. vj57

Ratings:
    +6
    For Khasm

Opinions are like anuses and everyone has one, including you, but just the same, there is nothing for me to be ashamed of.

I love people of ALL races, especially those of my faith. They are my brothers and sisters, spiritually.

White people in my church are addressed as Brother or Sister. The same with black members or people of any other culture. We are ALL brothers and sisters in Christ.

I don't have hatred for being abandoned while pregnant. So why should I have animosity for people who haven't done a thing to me? Those slaveowners of the PAST are DEAD, or didn't you know that? And they answer to God, as do we ALL.

I was watching Creflo Dollar this morning with an interview with Joseph Project men. One brother said that nearly every black man who comes into prison blames the white man for being there. He said that they (the men) are to blame for their actions. Like my brother, who said the same thing, these men CHOOSE to kill someone (in many cases, another black man or woman), rob stores and banks, sell drugs, etc.

It's time to stop blaming people. Adam ate of the forbidden fruit and blamed Eve; Eve blamed the serpent and to this day, people don't take responsbility for their actions and blame others.

We listen to negativity and hang around negativity and we cannot expect POSITIVE things to happen. Had I continued to hang with certain girls in my past, I would had been strung out on drugs or prostituting. One of my best friends from my childhood is messed up. We use to be tight - you couldn't see one without the other. But she began to hang with people who messed with drugs and participated in sexual orgies (I'm not kidding).

I stopped hanging with her and she called me "square". But today, 75% of the crowd are DEAD from AIDS. Every year, starting with 1989, somebody in the crowd was dying, either AIDS or accidents. My childhood friend has been in and out of prison and is still prostituting herself at age 46.

We need to be careful about our associations and if we get in trouble, we cannot blame others.

I do know that God will repay and I've seen Him repay people for their nastiness. That includes white people! And He is NOT pleased with the actions and thoughts of many of us black people, when we are disobedient and choose to blame others when we fall.

The good thing that I'm seeing with many blacks in my area is that they are choosing to be positive. I've seen many blacks in my area blessed with nice homes, cars, etc., things they worked for. One of my coworkers shared her story of struggle, not having financial support for college and even moral support. People thinking she's crazy for furthering her education. Today, she has a PhD,something she worked for and is an encouragement to others.

We need people like her among our ranks. I have decided to continue my work in getting interns, especially black college students, into our summer programs. Also, I wish to work harder in the ministry to win souls, to let people know that there is indeed a God who loves us and will provide for us. A God who is NO respecter of people and accepts people of all ages and races.

9. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    My eyes se something totally different with you vj from your previous post when the topic of the black man arises...but that's neither here nor there. i said nothing of hate, i choose not to hate anyone...those are the words that you used...i may be assuming, but i get the feeling that you are more accustomed to that word then i(hate that is)when it comes to your own race...keep your blinders on vj, if that works for you, more power to you...i just disagree...and yes, that is my opinion, i have an "anus" also...thank the Lord for both...
    one love
    khasm

10. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    Quote: those slaveowners of the PAST is DEAD, or didn't you know that?

vj57...
    everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and here's mine.
    Those slaveowners of the past is in no shape form or fashion...dead, for they live on in their children, their children's children, right up till this present time. Is it a coincident that their are (almost) more prisons than their are churches? and in these prisons there's about seven hundred (700) black males to one (1) white male, is it safe to say that white people don't do as much or more crimes than blacks? where's the math in that? sure there are a few "Tokens"...that they let get by.
    It's so bad that they make us pay millions of dollars in taxes to build prisons to put our own people in them...where's the logic to that? where's the math in that?
    how many times have a crime been committed in the white comunity and all a white person has to say is, ...he was tall and black, they pick up the first black male they see. has anyone, anywhere ever witness this? and I can go on and on and on about the slave trade that's still in effect...but again, this is just my opinion.