Black People : YOU CAN’T BE BLACK, ‘WOKE’ AND CHRISTIAN (Can You?)

Rev. Nat Turner was Black, woke and a Christian!
If Rev. Nat Turner was preaching the gospel to the Black masses from the so-called scriptures (Bible) promoted as the word of god written by old white men in antiquity and translated to the King James version (by European white men), that was used to enslave our African Ancestors and he also embraced the Christian religion, then I would have to say that Rev, Nat Turner wasn't completely woke in that respect.

YOU CAN’T BE BLACK, ‘WOKE’ AND CHRISTIAN Cheyanne Ntangu

White Jesus hasn’t done anything for us, according to the pro-black non-Christian communities as they call for an awakening among their fellow people.
Complicated Topic....The Spiritual Ideas back of Scripture on which Western Christianity is based is Universal having roots in Ancient Africa - As the cradle of humanity and civilization.
When we conflate the Spiritual Ideas in Scripture with the Theology of Western Christianity then we are proverbially "throwing out the babe with the bath water".
Interpretation of Scripture among Christian sects is Not Monolithic...as Some Christian communities fought to abolish the practices of Slavery and Racism...Quakers.
The Ethiopians Orthodox and Egyptian Coptic are some of the oldest Christian Sects among whom Racism and the practise of chattel Slavery is practically non existent.

They urge them to put the crucifix and holy oil away because Christianity is not for black people as it was brought by the slave master to Africa to oppress Africans, and we should opt for our own African gods.
The fact that Christianity was bought to many Africans by the Oppressors. In my opinion is not enough to justify discarding Christianity out of hand without first finding what Universal Values it Contains.
The Scriptures is not about oppression but expression of Livingness individually and collectively.

And if you don’t, unfortunately, you’re not ‘woke’ enough.

In fact, you’re fast asleep.
Anyone who imbues skin color with the facilities of Character is Asleep

Pantheist and student, Pauline Aphiaa, 20, told us: “[if black people] wish to set their eyes on a higher power and bend their knee to pray to and worship something then perhaps our own African gods are the best way to go. At least we thought of them ourselves, we worship them ourselves, we tell their stories ourselves, they are gods made by us and for us and I think that’s the best it’s ever going to be.”
First one should know that The Natural Energies represented by the Gods is neither racial or cultural but Universal.....And that theirs is no harm if one is going to Anthropomorphize these non human Forces of Nature to also choose a race and cultural for them that you are also comfortable with.

Aphiaa explains the newly coined term ‘woke’ as being “educated. I’m not talking about the education you receive, but the self-education you have taught yourself.”

Being ‘woke’ relates to one being aware of what is going on in community, in terms of social inequality, racism and also being aware of oneself and one’s heritage.
True

“[It’s] the understanding of the world, and people without being ignorant. The injustice, true history, racism, sexism and having the desire create a difference to change inequality and educate people,” she adds.
The church has always been a part of the identity of the black community but how has the Christian God benefited blacks?
In the West, Christians both fought for and against Slavery the Slave trade and Racism....John Brown.

“Christianity was brought to Africa for no other reason than to lift up, glorify and sublimate the white man into a position of power over black people. Christianity was brought to control us, oppress us and keep us controlled and oppressed long after the white man had left Africa,” says Aphiaa.
This is not true in the case of Ethiopian and Egyptian Christianity.
Yes...In the case of Official Western European Christianity tied to politics and economic aspirations, Christianity was used to facilitate and justify the oppression and abuse of Afrikan populations. In these Christian Institution the corrupting influence of politics and greed set the agenda and philosophy that underpins their theologies.

She adds: “Christianity was used as a tool not only to speed up the process of slavery by getting black people to align themselves with a common belief (of something that was both above them and above the whites) but also to justify the slavery & ill treatment we suffered at the hands of white men.”
True

There’s a famous saying by the first president of Kenya, Jomo Kenyatta, that reads: “When the missionaries came to Africa, we had the land and they had the bible. They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed and when we opened them, they had the land and we had the bible.”
True

However, Olivia Masengi, 20, argues: “If you are woke and a Christian I think it should come from a place of loving everyone the same and treating everyone with love and respect. With this, the basic of valuing everyone’s opinion but knowing what the word of God says takes that oxymoron away.”
True

The slave trade has left a bitter taste, as blacks express how the beliefs of African gods have been demonised and replaced with the Christian God.
Inherent in Christianity is concept of Proselytizing/Evangelizing for converts

When the slave masters imposed their religion and rules banning Africans from worshipping African gods.
Syncretization

www.artefactmagazine.com

Peace,

You can't be black, woke and be or remain a "Christian." You can be black, woke and use Christianity to reach those who are asleep or mentally dead.

To adhere to the teachings of Christianity, namely Jesus is coming back, the dead in Christ shall rise, Father, Son and Holy Ghost and the Earth is 7000 years old........ then you ain't woke. I can add on about this for days.............

Peace

“I am not your mama’s preacher. I honor the great rituals of my childhood faith,” she said. “But now that I have decolonized my religion, I have a duty and an obligation to present our ancestral wisdom and Indigenous spiritual practices in a way that is fully integrated with who I am.”
“When you adopt an African-centered practice, you realize how deeply embedded it is in your being,” she said. “In this moment, African descended people have had enough of trying to contort to a system that was built to annihilate us. If we are going to be truly free and liberated, it has to include our religion and spirituality (of our ancestors).”
During slavery, any deviation from the Christianity of the slaveholder was forbidden and considered illegal. The establishment of hush harbors, a secluded area in the woods where slaves would meet in private, provided opportunity for them to worship as they wished, but always under potential threat of punishment.

“This is why it’s so important to acknowledge and venerate Black ancestors,” said Martin. “They were the ones who had to hide this. They were the ones who were punished for this. Now we are the ones who can be out in public with it. We literally are the hope and dream of a slave.” Breaking with traditional Christian practice can take courage.

Darnise Martin PhD, Author, Professor, Spiritual Life Coach,

1627050465010.png

Complicated Topic....The Spiritual Ideas back of Scripture on which Western Christianity is based is Universal having roots in Ancient Africa - As the cradle of humanity and civilization.
When we conflate the Spiritual Ideas in Scripture with the Theology of Western Christianity then we are proverbially "throwing out the babe with the bath water".
Interpretation of Scripture among Christian sects is Not Monolithic...as Some Christian communities fought to abolish the practices of Slavery and Racism...Quakers.
The Ethiopians Orthodox and Egyptian Coptic are some of the oldest Christian Sects among whom Racism and the practise of chattel Slavery is practically non existent.

The fact that Christianity was bought to many Africans by the Oppressors. In my opinion is not enough to justify discarding Christianity out of hand without first finding what Universal Values it Contains.
The Scriptures is not about oppression but expression of Livingness individually and collectively.

Anyone who imbues skin color with the facilities of Character is Asleep

First one should know that The Natural Energies represented by the Gods is neither racial or cultural but Universal.....And that theirs is no harm if one is going to Anthropomorphize these non human Forces of Nature to also choose a race and cultural for them that you are also comfortable with.

True

In the West, Christians both fought for and against Slavery the Slave trade and Racism....John Brown.

This is not true in the case of Ethiopian and Egyptian Christianity.
Yes...In the case of Official Western European Christianity tied to politics and economic aspirations, Christianity was used to facilitate and justify the oppression and abuse of Afrikan populations. In these Christian Institution the corrupting influence of politics and greed set the agenda and philosophy that underpins their theologies.

True

True

True

Inherent in Christianity is concept of Proselytizing/Evangelizing for converts

Syncretization
Appreciate your thoughts, my brother.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back