African Traditional Religion : Yoruba wisdom

Ifa: An Example of Tolerance (How to find Benefit in all Situations)
By imodoyes@yahoo.com

Mo ji l'onii, mo ji ire [I woke up today, I woke up with ire]. Ifa is the essence and the spiritual science of the Yoruba way of life, culture, and history. Ifa is one of the sacred teachings of the African peoples and one of the sacred universal life teachings of the world. Ifa teaches us that, there is only one creator of the universe called by many names but maintaining one essence, who brought into being divinities that are the functionaries and intermediaries between mankind and the self-existent-being. These divinities provide diverse ways and methods for each individual to communicate and cooperate with Olodumare (God), so they may evolve and fulfill their destinies. This diversity of approaches to religious worship allowed each person to discover their unique spiritual identity. Based on their descent, affinity, or calling, it also allowed each person to fulfill their spiritual obligations in an atmosphere of mutual respect and understanding—the understanding of their common interests and their need to receive Olodumare's Ashe and to fulfill their destiny.
Ifa tradition understood that different forms of worship didn't constitute different denominations or sects. All forms of traditional worship were dependant upon Ifa, and Ifa saw no need to compete with, convert, or evangelize those who utilized other forms of worship. The worship of Olorun [Olodumare] through different deities based on Ifa traditions was the basic and fundamental practice that provided continuity within diversity. Also in Ifa religious ritual divination, we know there are concepts of oppositions, such as light and dark, male and female, elderly and young. Ifa tradition looked at these opposites in a dialectal way, synthesizing the best of different approaches and outlooks, and seeing differences as complementary, not mutually antagonistic. Many people, who see these opposite forces or personalities in superficial ways, do not see the trinity in the duality; they only see the extremes. They do not see that one's life can be evolved by one's opposition, and that one's enemy is not one's block but a door to the next level of development.
Wise students of Ifa, who accept and practice these principles of Ifa, find benefits and treasures in all situations that others may call trash. Eshu often brings opposition into our lives to force us to make a decision, to help us to grow, to reveal to us who we really are, to humble us, and to open our minds to bigger possibilities. To be humble is not to be weak, but to be open-minded and flexible in our thinking where no situation can unbalance us or make us lose our integrity. It was with this mindset of humility, openness, and patience, firmly rooted in the principles of Ifa, that Ifa traditional scientist used tolerance in their interactions with those different than themselves.

Ifa tradition supported both the coming of the Christians in the 1840's and the coming of the Muslims to Abeokuta, Nigeria. Ifa tradition had been in contact with the Muslims since the12th century [?]. Yoruba families are religiously diverse, including Traditionalists, Christians, and Muslims all in one family and living together harmoniously. Yoruba Christians and Muslims have maintained many aspects of their cultural identity. In the process of spreading into Yoruba society, both Islam and Christianity have been modified by traditional religion. But it is the values, tolerance, open-mindedness, and generosity of Ifa that have prevented the Christians and Muslim converts from polarizing. It is also the openness with which Ifa traditions have spread to other groups in West Africa as the Fon Ewe and the Ga. Ifa has also spread among those in the Americas.

Yoruba is the only African language spoken among English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese speaking peoples of the Americas. It is with tolerance that we can overcome opposition and make our friends our family.
O d'abo
Babake

Ifa: An Example of Tolerance (How to find Benefit in all Situations)
By imodoyes@yahoo.com

Mo ji l'onii, mo ji ire [I woke up today, I woke up with ire]. Ifa is the essence and the spiritual science of the Yoruba way of life, culture, and history. Ifa is one of the sacred teachings of the African peoples and one of the sacred universal life teachings of the world. Ifa teaches us that, there is only one creator of the universe called by many names but maintaining one essence, who brought into being divinities that are the functionaries and intermediaries between mankind and the self-existent-being. These divinities provide diverse ways and methods for each individual to communicate and cooperate with Olodumare (God), so they may evolve and fulfill their destinies. This diversity of approaches to religious worship allowed each person to discover their unique spiritual identity. Based on their descent, affinity, or calling, it also allowed each person to fulfill their spiritual obligations in an atmosphere of mutual respect and understanding—the understanding of their common interests and their need to receive Olodumare's Ashe and to fulfill their destiny.
Ifa tradition understood that different forms of worship didn't constitute different denominations or sects. All forms of traditional worship were dependant upon Ifa, and Ifa saw no need to compete with, convert, or evangelize those who utilized other forms of worship. The worship of Olorun [Olodumare] through different deities based on Ifa traditions was the basic and fundamental practice that provided continuity within diversity. Also in Ifa religious ritual divination, we know there are concepts of oppositions, such as light and dark, male and female, elderly and young. Ifa tradition looked at these opposites in a dialectal way, synthesizing the best of different approaches and outlooks, and seeing differences as complementary, not mutually antagonistic. Many people, who see these opposite forces or personalities in superficial ways, do not see the trinity in the duality; they only see the extremes. They do not see that one's life can be evolved by one's opposition, and that one's enemy is not one's block but a door to the next level of development.
Wise students of Ifa, who accept and practice these principles of Ifa, find benefits and treasures in all situations that others may call trash. Eshu often brings opposition into our lives to force us to make a decision, to help us to grow, to reveal to us who we really are, to humble us, and to open our minds to bigger possibilities. To be humble is not to be weak, but to be open-minded and flexible in our thinking where no situation can unbalance us or make us lose our integrity. It was with this mindset of humility, openness, and patience, firmly rooted in the principles of Ifa, that Ifa traditional scientist used tolerance in their interactions with those different than themselves.

Ifa tradition supported both the coming of the Christians in the 1840's and the coming of the Muslims to Abeokuta, Nigeria. Ifa tradition had been in contact with the Muslims since the12th century [?]. Yoruba families are religiously diverse, including Traditionalists, Christians, and Muslims all in one family and living together harmoniously. Yoruba Christians and Muslims have maintained many aspects of their cultural identity. In the process of spreading into Yoruba society, both Islam and Christianity have been modified by traditional religion. But it is the values, tolerance, open-mindedness, and generosity of Ifa that have prevented the Christians and Muslim converts from polarizing. It is also the openness with which Ifa traditions have spread to other groups in West Africa as the Fon Ewe and the Ga. Ifa has also spread among those in the Americas.

Yoruba is the only African language spoken among English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese speaking peoples of the Americas. It is with tolerance that we can overcome opposition and make our friends our family.
O d'abo
Babake
To be humble is not to be weak, but to be open-minded and flexible in our thinking where no situation can unbalance us or make us lose our integrity. It was with this mindset of humility, openness, and patience, firmly rooted in the principles of Ifa, that Ifa traditional scientist used tolerance in their interactions with those different than themselves

This is both inspiring and uplifting, and hopefully this message will be posted in other sections as well, because it creates a spirit of harmony and peace

YOU ARE A HYPOCRATE WHO HAS FAILED 10 TIMES TO PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH SINCE THIS POST WAS MADE

STOP THE PRETENSE, YOUR COVER IS BLOWN

This thread is about Yoruba wisdom, not my wisdom. It is to share the ways of thinking of the peoples of Western Africa, in this case Yoruba. I do not pretend to be the embodiment of Yoruba wisdom. Obviously I was brought to destee.com to meet you by Esu. I don't expect you to understand that.
you are a pitiful creature. I must learn to pity you.

This thread is about Yoruba wisdom, not my wisdom. It is to share the ways of thinking of the peoples of Western Africa, in this case Yoruba. I do not pretend to be the embodiment of Yoruba wisdom. Obviously I was brought to destee.com to meet you by Esu. I don't expect you to understand that.
you are a pitiful creature. I must learn to pity you.
you should pity yourself because everyone on Destee does after reding your immature remarks,
I do not feel sorry for you, and I doubt your heritage becuase Puerto Ricans have class

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back