Black Spirituality Religion : Yoruba philosophy of self-development

Here in Brooklyn growing up around the Voudun community amongst Haitian childhood friends, as well as Santeria among hispanic friends, also Yoruba in my family I was overwelmed with a kind of joy that cannot be translated in English, when I as a Christian saw the tenets , that I have been waiting all my life to see, and now embrace from my ancestral religion.
I hope that you would provide further readings or books if possible for further knowledge of our indigenous and original philosphy, because finding this great wisdom has put an amazing landmark in my quest for more Light.

It is my hope that our children would be blessed to be aware of these foundations, which can be used as a cure to the traumas we see in the current youth population.

Asante' sana

I feel ya Swope! I've had some of the same experiences growing up in Harlem. When I think back in time, there were aborisa all around me, I just didn't connect the dots, no pun intended ( a little initiation reference)

Brotha I came (returned) to Ifa for the sake of healing, myself as well as others. As you well know, Africans, particuliarly in the diapsora are like the dismembered body of Ausar. Traditional healing methods were employed by Auset to reconstitute the fragmented condition of the lifeless Ausar to return from amenta

Here are a few books that can serve as a primer to facilitate a means to bring us back in alignment

Black Gods- Orisa studies in the New World by John Mason

Four New World Rituals: John Mason

Imoye: A defition of the Ifa tradition: Baba Ifa Karade

Storms of the Orisa: Baba Ifa Karade

Yoruba Ritual: Margaret Thompson Drewal

Ifa: Wande Abimbola

Olodumare: God in Yoruba belief: Bolaji Idowu

Flash of the Spirit: Robert Ferris Thompson

Remember this, no book can ever replace the first hand experience and guidance of a competent and dedicated Babalawo

Ase

Ire Ogun

I feel ya Swope! I've had some of the same experiences growing up in Harlem. When I think back in time, there were aborisa all around me, I just didn't connect the dots, no pun intended ( a little initiation reference)

Brotha I came (returned) to Ifa for the sake of healing, myself as well as others. As you well know, Africans, particuliarly in the diapsora are like the dismembered body of Ausar. Traditional healing methods were employed by Auset to reconstitute the fragmented condition of the lifeless Ausar to return from amenta

Here are a few books that can serve as a primer to facilitate a means to bring us back in alignment

Remember this, no book can ever replace the first hand experience and guidance of a competent and dedicated Babalawo

Ase

Ire Ogun

These are some good works. When I was first introduced to Ifa back in 97, Iyalode Sobande referred me to John Mason's works. I like Flash of the Spirit by Thompson; it's fairly comprehensive. Baba Karade works are very good introductions as well. Modupe Sekhemu.

Tuhwi

Ase

Ire Ogun
I am glad you pointed out and stressed Competent and Dedicated regarding Babalaos cause I have known a few for over 10 years and , not only do they like many Christian ministers fall far from the precepts,

they also have never mentioned them

So for me your post is much more then a revelation

and these precepts should be in the home of allBlack folks regardless of religion , as a plaque, permanently on the wall to be passed from generation to generation as Self Savior, from our ancestors

Thank you again

HTP DJD

Dr. Wande Abimbola in L.A. this week

"Forward Movement Through Ifa"
A Lecture Series Featuring
Professor Wande Abimbola, Awise Awo Agbaye (World Spokesperson for Ifa)

Wednesday, September 23
"Ifa, A Tradition for Empowering Women?"
7-10pm

Thursday, September 24
"Ifa, A Tool For Activism?"
7pm - 10pm

$20/lecture or $30/Series*
at WLCAC, Freedom Hall
10950 S. Central Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90059
*No One Will Be Turned Away Due to Lack of Funds
Parking is Free

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back