1). Ifarabale: composure

2). Owo: respect

3). Suturu: patience

4). Eso: caution

5). Imo: knowledge

6). Ogbon: wisdom

7). Oye: understanding

There are 13 guidlines for self-development

1) There is to be no practice of wickedness. Those who sow the seeds of wickedness plant them upon their children. Ashes fly back in to the faces of he who throws them.

2).There is to be no stealing. Even if man does not see; Oludumare sees

3). There is to be no selfishness. Those who are selfish will come to bare their loads alone

4). There is to be no covenant breaking or falshood. The covenabt breakers will be carried away by the earth. The sacrifices of covenant breakers and liars are not accepted

5) There is to be no hypocrisy

6) There is to be no acts of atrocity to be committed against one's neighbor

7).There is to be honor and respect to the elders. The relationship of service between elders and youth is to be strengthened continuously. The hand of the young does not reach the high shelf. That of the elder does not go into the gourd

8). There is to be protection of the women. Women are the flowers of the garden, men are the fence around them

9). There is to be truthfulness and uprighteousness. Those who are fruitful and upright have the blessings of the divinities

10). There is to be kindness and generosity. Kindness begets kindness

11). There is to be sensitivity with respect to person to person relationships

12). There Is to be chastity in respect to mates. Man, do not seduce another man's wife; woman do not seduce another woman's husband

13) There is to be hospitable directives

The Alaashe provide examples of right living as handed down ny Yoruba egun

1). Ifarabale: composure

2). Owo: respect

3). Suturu: patience

4). Eso: caution

5). Imo: knowledge

6). Ogbon: wisdom

7). Oye: understanding

There are 13 guidlines for self-development

1) There is to be no practice of wickedness. Those who sow the seeds of wickedness plant them upon their children. Ashes fly back in to the faces of he who throws them.

2).There is to be no stealing. Even if man does not see; Oludumare sees

3). There is to be no selfishness. Those who are selfish will come to bare their loads alone

4). There is to be no covenant breaking or falshood. The covenabt breakers will be carried away by the earth. The sacrifices of covenant breakers and liars are not accepted

5) There is to be no hypocrisy

6) There is to be no acts of atrocity to be committed against one's neighbor

7).There is to be honor and respect to the elders. The relationship of service between elders and youth is to be strengthened continuously. The hand of the young does not reach the high shelf. That of the elder does not go into the gourd

8). There is to be protection of the women. Women are the flowers of the garden, men are the fence around them

9). There is to be truthfulness and uprighteousness. Those who are fruitful and upright have the blessings of the divinities

10). There is to be kindness and generosity. Kindness begets kindness

11). There is to be sensitivity with respect to person to person relationships

12). There Is to be chastity in respect to mates. Man, do not seduce another man's wife; woman do not seduce another woman's husband

13) There is to be hospitable directives

I enjoyed reading this! It's good to see the roots to what many African-Americans have lost culturally.

I enjoyed reading this! It's good to see the roots to what many African-Americans have lost culturally.

Modupe sistah

I don't see the culture as lost as much as misplaced

There are traditional African healers/elders right here in the states, but they're not being sort out as much you would think

Are there charlitains and hustlers out there fakin' the funk? Ofcourse there are, but they're a drop in the bucket in comparison to authentic,dedicated and sincere healers that want nothing more than to help restore the condition our people

There was a time when I bounced around from one metaphysical discipline to another, but one saturday night one of my Egun told me all of the answers I've been looking for can be found in the rich spiritual traditions of the motherland, BAR NONE

Suffice to say all African traditional religions have the ways and means to collect the missing emotional, psychic, financial, mental and cultural links that have been buried and languishing In the galleys of white supremacy light code lock down for 500 years

Tell me what new age channeler or a western astrologer or even a tarot card can do that an Akan Okomfo or Ausar/Auset society priest/priestess can or alredady hasn't done, and more?

Why are more whites flocking to the traditions that are our very own birthright?

One brotha who shall go un-named actually had a problem with people bowing to Shekem ur Shekem

Excuse my french but WTF? Foribale has nothing to do with bowing to the physical shell we call man, but everything to do with the ashe of the divinity that has been cultivated in the person we bow to

We trip over our own ego time and time again

Apologies to all for slightly deviating from the topic with a quick question.

Elder Sekhemu, what is the title of the thread you wrote last year providing guidance on getting a reading from an African priest? A Babalawo has just arrived from the US, and I would like to go for a reading/divination having briefed myself on what to expect.

Thank you,

Alexandra

Thank you for this Brother Sekhemu. I am currently reading Yoruba Culture - A Philosophical Account by Kola Abimbola (2006, UK). It has helped towards my inner-standing of Yoruba cosmology and the philosophical thought inherent in the traditional Yoruba cultures. The author gives his view of the word "Tradition" as being a world-view (ancient or contemporary) and not some fossilised relic of generations past. He says in his Preface: whilst tradition must of necessity be historical, it can also be dynamic, current, and responsive to change and modification - as long as continuity of some fundamental ideas and practices are maintained (Preface)

Many of us view ancient traditions or ways of the Elders as no longer relevant to the times today. In fact, it is because we fail to acknowledge such sacred disciplines of the past that we are in err today both inner and outer. One of my favourite sayings by one of our great Ancestor Dr. Henrik Clarke is, The events that transpired five thousand years ago, five years ago, or five minutes ago, have determined what will happen five minutes from now, five years from now or five thousand years from now. All history is a current event. So, we only have to look around to see the state of affairs in our societies manifesting of our minds and hearts and what disciplines, or lack of, we are generally living by.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back