Black Spirituality Religion : Yoruba Beliefs (spiritual tenets of Ifa)

Sekhemu

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 9, 2003
new jersey
Occupation
priest
1) There is only ONE Supreme God (Oludumare)
2)There is NO Devil
3)Except for the day you were born and the day you are supposed to die, there is not a single even in one's live that cannot be forecast and if necessary, changed
4)Your spirit lives on after death and can reincarnate through blood lines.
5)You are born with a specific path. Divinations serves as a road map to your path.
6)Our ancestors exist and must be honored, respected and consulted.
7)The Orisha (forces of nature) live within us and deal with the affairs of men/women.
8)You must never initiate harm to another human being or to the universe, which you are a part of.
9)Spiritual, physical, mental and emotional realms of our existence must all work together and be balanced.
10) Sacrifice guarantees success

What the Yoruba Reject.

1)We are born in sin
2)The European civilized the Afrikan
3)Jesus Christ is the only way to God

kemetkind said:
Thanks for the synopsis Sekhemu.

What in your opinion are good sources for learning more about Yoruba/Ifa beliefs?

I know you are probably addressing this to Baba Sekhemu, but in my opinion, an elder in 'da tradition' is the best source. Chief Fama's books is a good source for both Yoruba cultural tradition and Ifa. Marta Moreno Vega's Altar of My Soul is good, although it is somewhat autobiographical and is more Lukumi-based.

Blackbird

kemetkind said:
Thanks for the synopsis Sekhemu.

What in your opinion are good sources for learning more about Yoruba/Ifa beliefs?

Alaafia (How are things with you)

First of all, I want to give you a ton of props and respect for taking the time to inquire the inner workings and complexities of Traditional African Religions.

Your search will prove rewarding to you in ways you can only begin to imagine.

You have a brilliant mind my dear brotha, and I am very honored by your participation in this thread.

That being said, Ebi (Brotha) Blackbird gave you very sound advise, Chief Fama is an excellent source for learning more about the Yoruba and particuliarly the Ifa Corpus.

You may want to buy one of his books under then name "Fundamentals of the Yoruba Religion Orisa Worship", by Chief Fama

Pub. January 2002, ISBN #0971494908

Remember brotha, although books are an invaluble resource, the lessons and knowledge passed down by a Priest/Priestess far surpasses anything put down in writing.

Ase

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back