Black Spirituality Religion : Yoruba & BaKongo practitioners?

Thanks for answering that one Blackbird!

Blackbird said:
Alafia and Ayibobo,

Bakongo is the name of a group of people in Central Africa (D.R. Congo and Angola) and also the name of our their belief system. Bakongo beliefs inspired Cuban Palo and influenced Haitian Vodou.

I am an aleyo in regards to Lukumi or Palo, although I have considerable understanding of them because I was affiliated with a house. My background is primarily Vodou and I'm now affiliated with a Vodou house.

Blackbird

What is an aleyo? Are all tribes in africa pologamous? I didn't spell dat right! Sowee...

Is monogamy or one partner ideas european?

Lady Bastet

Lady Bastet said:
What is an aleyo? Are all tribes in africa pologamous? I didn't spell dat right! Sowee...

Is monogamy or one partner ideas european?

Lady Bastet

Alafia,

Aleyo, in Lukumi talk, means "outsider" or someone not initiated (made Ocha). I'm not initiated into Lukumi or Palo.

No, not all nations of Afrika were polygamous. Essentially, the concept of monogamy isn't attached to any racial groups. Many factors come into play determining whether a society will be monogamous or polygamous. Some of these factors are " cosmology/worldview, economics and social structure. For Afrikan people, community was paramount so the notion that everybody must be taken care of or "attached to a farm" helped to inspire polygamous relationships. This coupled with the fact, in many societies women typically outnumbered the men so the social arrangement was viable in terms of economics. In most European societies, the concept of individualism superceded the concept of community, so thus the more dominant social arrangement was monogamy, eventhough the "no strings attached extra-martial" escapades to place frequently. This fact is evident in today's society. Remember, polygamy, in terms, of Afrikan societies extended beyond a "little extra nookie on the side without controversy." The husband of more than one wife must be able to provide for all of his wifes and the large family created by this institution. Polygamy served our ancestors economically, politically, socially, and cosmologically.

Blackbird

African polygamy vs. the European ego

I agree with Blackbird that polygamy wasn’t an "absolute" necessity in some African countries, but I would like to add that polygamy was not historically forbidden or castigated morally and ethically in most African countries and many other cultures throughout the world. Some researchers believed that at one time 80% of the people in the world, as far as cultures are concerned, tolerated polygamist marriage, as a natural and normal occurrence. In other words, it was not illegal or wrong.

Also, the Europeans methodically constructed their, as Blackbird asserted, “…concept of individualism", into law, culture, religion, ethics and philosophy.

Peace,

Sun Ship

Thanks

Sun Ship said:
I agree with Blackbird that polygamy wasn’t an "absolute" necessity in some African countries, but I would like to add that polygamy was not historically forbidden or castigated morally and ethically in most African countries and many other cultures throughout the world. Some researchers believed that at one time 80% of the people in the world, as far as cultures are concerned, tolerated polygamist marriage, as a natural and normal occurrence. In other words, it was not illegal or wrong.

Also, the Europeans methodically constructed their, as Blackbird asserted, “…concept of individualism", into law, culture, religion, ethics and philosophy.

Peace,

Sun Ship

Thank you blackbird and sun ship!

Lady Bastet

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back