Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Good to sharpen the wit

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Childish

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Harmful to women

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
highly intellectual verbal skills competition?????....I don't think so...

First of all, “the dozens” originally were not just focused on “Yo mama” jokes…when we played the dozens we attacked everything. “Yo mama” jokes were usually sticky ground; most of us didn’t play that…talking about somebody mama could quickly turn into an all-out fight. It seems to me that the generation that came after me, were a little less sensitive about “yo mama” jokes, then we were.

I had once read that the term, "playin’ the dozens" derived from white slavers…it was the way slavers critiqued the slaves which were auctioned, sold and bought after leaving slave ships. Supposedly enslaved Africans were sometimes presented for critique in lots of twelve (dozen).

90% of most jokes about or that included Black folks when I was growing up castigated, buffooned and maligned Black folks… and I grew up in an all Black community! It was obvious that many of these jokes were passed down for generations and some were invented by racist whites and passed on to Black folks during Jim Crow and slavery days.

The days of Black folks tearing themselves down for a good laugh should be over…this type of stuff comes from the days when African Americans had a very poor self and social image of themselves. Some things just need to stay in the past or die out.

African people already have many ways and traditions for developing and sharpening our improvisational skills from oration to music, we don’t need the art of verbally attacking each other…"the dozens have no cultural value AT ALL!

Sun Ship said:
First of all, “the dozens” originally were not just focused on “Yo mama” jokes…when we played the dozens we attacked everything. “Yo mama” jokes were usually sticky ground; most of us didn’t play that…talking about somebody mama could quickly turn into an all-out fight. It seems to me that the generation that came after me, were a little less sensitive about “yo mama” jokes, then we were.

I had once read that the term, "playin’ the dozens" derived from white slavers…it was the way slavers critiqued the slaves which were auctioned, sold and bought after leaving slave ships. Supposedly enslaved Africans were sometimes presented for critique in lots of twelve (dozen).

90% of most jokes about or that included Black folks when I was growing up castigated, buffooned and maligned Black folks… and I grew up in an all Black community! It was obvious that many of these jokes were passed down for generations and some were invented by racist whites and passed on to Black folks during Jim Crow and slavery days.

The days of Black folks tearing themselves down for a good laugh should be over…this type of stuff comes from the days when African Americans had a very poor self and social image of themselves. Some things just need to stay in the past or die out.

African people already have many ways and traditions for developing and sharpening our improvisational skills from oration to music, we don’t need the art of verbally attacking each other…"the dozens have no cultural value AT ALL!

I couldn't have said it any better.

we never did this , yo mama was like a bad word in the hood
but now mama's own kids talk about them and laugh back in my
days get the taste slap out your mouth playing the dozens on the mama jokes
today and now as adults it's CHILDISH back then it was to us DISRESPECT

whewwww , i never did this one and i don't go there. :whip: :nono:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back