Yo Mama So Stupid...

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by river, Sep 3, 2005.

?

Playing the dozens is...

1. Harmless fun

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Good to sharpen the wit

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Childish

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. Harmful to women

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    She took an IQ test and the results came back negative

Playing the dozens has been a part of African-American culture for a long time. It's not a game you play with eggs. It is a highly intellectual verbal skills competition in which contestants make derogatory yet humorous statements about the distaff members of their opponents family.

For some the dozens has been a way to help Black people be less sensitive to the insults hurled against us by whites. It also develops the sharpness and speed of the wit.

But some object to the value of this tradition, warning that it is not a good practice to demean the queens and goddesses of our race.

Family, what are your views on this subject? Is it harmless fun or hidden mysogeny? Have its cultural benefits become obsolete for racially enlightened people or is it an important part of our heritage which we shouldn't let the white boys take over?

2. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    Beautiful avatar River :toast:

3. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    IT'S THE SAME PSYCHOLOGY THAT SAYS; WE BEEN CALLED NIHGGERS SO LONG BY THE WORLD THAT NOW WE CALL OURSELVES NIHGGERS. SO IN THAT LIGHT, IT SHOULD NOT BE A MYSTERY THAT WE NOW DEMEAN OURSELVES AFTER HAVING BEEN DEMEANED FOR SO LONG BY OTHERS...AND IMAGINE, IF WE GET REALLY GOOD AT IT, WE CAN GET PAID !!! AIN'T THAT A BIIITCH !!

4. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    maybe it was my "socio-phobic" "skills" coming out early; i do remember the dozens, but i had never looked at it in quite that light.

However! There Is NEVER any "good" in demeaning the Queens and Goddesses of OUR Race!! Or any of the rest of the Family members, for that matter!

i've always thought of it more in these terms; making us "strong enough" to "not bridle when the white man cometh". but, funkdat! i ain't no rock! hurl a sling at me and be ready to duck the stones coming back! cut me and watch the red river rise! I Am Human! Don't EVEN try to play me like that!

on the other hand, "develop[ing] the sharpness and speed of the wit" is definitely a useful tool!

5. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    People are becoming more and more sensitive to the spoken word so I don't think that tradition will survive much longer.

6. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    highly intellectual verbal skills competition?????....I don't think so...

First of all, “the dozens” originally were not just focused on “Yo mama” jokes…when we played the dozens we attacked everything. “Yo mama” jokes were usually sticky ground; most of us didn’t play that…talking about somebody mama could quickly turn into an all-out fight. It seems to me that the generation that came after me, were a little less sensitive about “yo mama” jokes, then we were.

I had once read that the term, "playin’ the dozens" derived from white slavers…it was the way slavers critiqued the slaves which were auctioned, sold and bought after leaving slave ships. Supposedly enslaved Africans were sometimes presented for critique in lots of twelve (dozen).

90% of most jokes about or that included Black folks when I was growing up castigated, buffooned and maligned Black folks… and I grew up in an all Black community! It was obvious that many of these jokes were passed down for generations and some were invented by racist whites and passed on to Black folks during Jim Crow and slavery days.

The days of Black folks tearing themselves down for a good laugh should be over…this type of stuff comes from the days when African Americans had a very poor self and social image of themselves. Some things just need to stay in the past or die out.

African people already have many ways and traditions for developing and sharpening our improvisational skills from oration to music, we don’t need the art of verbally attacking each other…"the dozens have no cultural value AT ALL!

7. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    You ain't never lie

8. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I couldn't have said it any better.

9. Wisdom7

Wisdom7 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I agree. It started with the white man let them have it back.

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    we never did this , yo mama was like a bad word in the hood
    but now mama's own kids talk about them and laugh back in my
    days get the taste slap out your mouth playing the dozens on the mama jokes
    today and now as adults it's CHILDISH back then it was to us DISRESPECT

whewwww , i never did this one and i don't go there. :whip: :nono: