Black People : YESSUH BOSS MANG...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    In my travels and conversations where both Blacks and Whites are present, I have found that we African Americans still suffer from the kind of unconscious desire to please massa... I call this the Yessuh Boss Mang consciousness, which arose during the era of Jim Crow down in the south... The great African American novelist and essayist, Richard Wright, spoke of this mentality in 12-Million Black Voices, a book he wrote for the government in the 1940's... "Boy, that red coat sure looks blue to you, don't it?" "Yessuh Boss Mang..."

In other words, the need to please White Folks was a life and death issue down south in that era, therefore it was easier understood... Today, that is not the case, yet I still see a lot of our folks have that consciousness, and they don't live in the south... They seem to Feel the NEED to please master, and will shout you or I down if we take an opposing view... We become as much these Black folks enemies as the White man's enemies, and all because we've got an independent consciousness... My question to members of the board is, have you any examples of this in your own experience??? Would you care to share(without mentioning names of the perpetrators!)these experiences of this milquetoast behavior with us at Destee? The floor is open...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. yaphet al-wynn

yaphet al-wynn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Especially when no white people ARE EVEN around.

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Especially WHAT even when no white people are around, Brother Yaphet???(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. 1hotvirgowoman

1hotvirgowoman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6

Ohh Trust me- They're around All-right!

5. yaphet al-wynn

yaphet al-wynn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Talking about the plantation, Pullman porters(before my time but knew a few growing up). I said what I said was that some Black folks working the job that HAD to say it, but when they punched the clock and went home they turned it off. But some were still in that mode 24-7after they left the job when white folks were not even around.

6. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Yes, an apparently they passed that stuff along to their children... "don't make the white folks mad at'cha..." I see this mentality in a lot of our people, and I see at this board... These folk try harder to get along with White Folks than with Black Folks... Many of them are in prison talkin' 'bout how they hate the system, and how they fought against the system... Funny how they're pressin' them license plates for the man, and raping other young African men... That's another story, I guess, but it's the paradoxy I'm alluding to, and it takes many forms... Contortion and distortion, brother YAPHET...

pEACE!
    iSAIAH