Black Entertainment : Yaya Diallo's West African Kanza Music

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by zzzstephen, Aug 17, 2003.

1. zzzstephen

zzzstephen Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    WEST AFRICAN KANZA MUSIC

Onzou Records, http://www.onzou.com, presents KANZA, a relatively new genre of music featured on YAYA DIALLO'S upcoming album Live at Club Soda scheduled for release in November, 2003. Yaya Diallo's band KANZA features saxophone, electric violin, bass and lead guitars, drumset, vocals and traditional African drums on his upcoming album Live at Club Soda.

Live at Club Soda recorded in Montreal in 1989 with Yaya Diallo's band Kanza takes a dramatic shift from his previous albums as Yaya Diallo bridges traditional African music with occidental instruments including saxophone, electric violin, bass and lead guitars and drumset as well as voice and traditional African drums. Yaya Diallo’s innovative music gives solo voice to all the instruments within an African rhythmic structure and swings with a sound reminiscent of 1950’s rock-n-roll or blues to a beat driven by the Dounouba and spoken to by the Djembe drums.

Yaya Diallo, a native of Mali, West Africa and major custodian of West African music and culture has earned an international reputation as a master drummer, musician, teacher, healer, lecturer, storyteller, "Healing Drum Tours" guide to Mali and author.

KANZA

Kanza is a very new concept within the Miniankala musical culture in the region west of the city of Koutiala. This kind of music is the mix of the past and the present. It lets the door open for the future.

"Music, in addition to being an art, remains a stimulus for work. It is everywhere in work. Rhythmic music (drumming) stirs the soul of man. The human being moves with the rhythm. To help a farmer work fast, he needs a drummer who accompanies him. Music is the “boss” in Africa; it regulates the rhythm of work. In a work group, one needs a musician; he stirs lazy people, interrupts conversations during work. One needs a type of music for each category of workers. The shepherd who pastures his flock all day plays a flute or singled-stringed guitar. He follows the rhythm of the flock. Work [which is] physical requires rhythmic music; another [kind] which is long and exacting requires melodies. The inverse can distract or disturb. Work and partying are mixed."
    Source: Yaya Diallo, “At the Threshold of the African Soul,” INTERculture 141, (October 2001): 34.

To motivate, the musician has to sing magic songs, to say exciting words to each worker. In Mali, the motivating words are called “Mai sonyi” in Mininaka and “Fassan” in Bambara.

What about the new generation?

The professions and the social values change. It is more and more difficult to motivate the young people today with ancestral songs. It is time to create a new style of music that can reconcile the elders and the young people. In the 50’s, people from the villages of Djélé, N’Tosso and Nampropéla created the concept of KANZA. Groups of workers and farmers decided to mix the ancestral music with the music of young people.

New musical ensembles are born in Miniankala. Samba the apprentice trucker is a good examble of this new era. To be a trucker is a new profession for us in Africa, so that needs a new music.

So, what’s new?

The new elements of Kanza are:
    - The speed of the music, you have to play fast.
    - The mix of different kinds of sounds
    - The dance for everyone, no age, no gender divisions.
    - More room for creativity and improvisation, but one must respect the basic foundations of the music: no folly, no madness.

The instruments used by the ensemble of Kanza are:
    - 2 Balafons (mother and child)
    - 2 Bafokos (mother and child)
    - 1 Tama (Talking drum).
    - 1 N’Pingouéré (Dounou) with a bell.
    - 1 Haranga
    - 2 lead vocalists
    - The ensemble of all the dancers who dance in a circle and respond to the leader. The songs don’t have any harmony. Everyone can sing.

Based on the basic principles of Kanza, I transposed the traditional music to western instruments. The fact that I am a Foula led me to choose the violin and the saxophone to play the solo parts. The other instruments are: one or two electric guitars, bass guitar, drumset, tama, bafoko, two djembes and one dounouba. The mix of these instruments gives a unique sound. My Chinese friend Dr. Han said, “Yaya, you are a Taoist; your music sounds like the music of eastern China.” I laughed and said, “That’s good news, I can be the richest man in the world. I need to sell one CD for 1 dollar a piece to each Chinese and I will be a billionaire.”

To conclude, “Kanza” is the past, the present and the future at the same time.

The Song Titles:

1. Samba The Trucker: Music that addresses the coarse behavior of the apprentice truckers. “Samba” is a popular first name in West Africa.

2. Sewa Nimo: The song talks about jealousy, stupid hatred and cupidity which are a scourge in the world today. The singer finds his inner exile and peace through the Drums and the Balafons. Thinking about the most beautiful birds, Tiori and Kossara living in Miniankala, the singer wishes to obtain the inner beauty like the plumages of these divine creatures.

3. Gifono: We gave this title to this music to honor Gifono Koné, one of the founders of the concept Kanza. Traditionally the song talks about a resourceful person. There is not only one way to do things. “The bird doesn’t milk his children, he finds a way to feed them.” One more proverb can help us to understand the philosophy behind the song. “If the crocodile decides to buy trousers (long pants), don’t ask what hw will do with his tail. He knows what he is doing. Don’t worry too much about people’s problems.

4. Chechon (The Skunk): We don’t have this animal in Africa, but we have his relative that we call “Chechon.” Nobody likes the skunk, but he loves himself. There are love stories between skunks. The skunk mom loves her children, but the young children learned to hate themselves. The mom skunk says, “The children are depressed. They always cry; what can I do? The father responds, “Children! Stop crying, you have to be proud of yourselves. It doesn’t matter who you are; the world belongs to everyone. All the flowers in nature can’t be roses. “

5. Forgeron (The Blacksmith): This song is about the praises of the blacksmith. He is the man of knowledge, master of fire, water, metal and wood. He is also the sorcerer initiator of the Komo (male secret society).

6. Nakan: Here we talk about domestic violence. The crazy lover tries everything to reconquer his lost love. The woman says to her obstinate lover, “If I say I don’t love you, it’s not a reason to keep me as a hostage, to make my life miserable or to kill me.

7. Teli:This is the call for patriotism. It doesn’t matter who you are or where you are, don’t forget your roots, your identity and your country. In the village we call this kind of music N’Togo. It doesn’t need musical instruments. I call this song Téli because my son’s name is Téli Diallo.

8. Makanou: This is about infinite love. I have the blues because love exists. I am sick; the name of the disease is love. I am sad. That is love’s fault. I am stressed and depressed because I love love. … etc. Without this calamity people call love I would be happy.

Yaya Diallo

Musicians:
    Saxophone: Jody Golick
    Electric Violin: Joel Zifkin
    Electric Guitar: Lionel Corcos
    Bass Guitar: Eval Manigat
    Drum Set: André Raymond
    Dounou: Michel Bonneau
    Vocalists: Fanta Koné, Delphine Pandoué, Josiane Antourel
    Compositions, Arrangements, Djembé and Lead Vocals: Yaya Diallo

###

Submitted by:
    Stephen Conroy, Producer
    Yaya Diallo’s West African Music
    Onzou Records, http://www.onzou.com

Kanza

Kanza est un concept très nouveau dans la culture musicale Minianka dans la region située à l’ouest de la ville de Koutiala. Ce style de musique est une fusion du passé et du present tout en laissant une porte ouverte sur le future.

La musique en plus d’être un art, demeure stimulant pour le travail. Une musique rythmée faite vibrer l’ame de l’homme. L’être humain se deplace avec le rhthm. Le cultivateur a besoin d’un musicien pour le forcer à travailler plus vite. Bref, en Afrique la musique est le “boss.” Quand le travail est fait en groupe: “Ton” ou “Ngo” on a besoin d’un musicien qui bouscule les paresseux et interrompt les conversations. A chaque catégorie de travail correspond un genre de musique. Le berger derrière son troupeau joue du violon monocorde ou de la flute. Un travail qui exige un effort physique demande une musique rythmée. Il faut render le travail plus agreeable. En plus de l’instrument, le musicien doit trouver une chanson magique, des mots stimulateurs pour chaque travailleur: “Mai son yi” en Minianka, “Fassan” en Bambara.

Qu’arrive-t-il avec la jeunesse d’auourd’hui? Les métiers changent, les valeurs aussi. Il devient de plus en plus difficile de motiver les jeunes avec des chansons ancestrales. Donc il faut créer un nouveau genre de musique qu’ils inspire. Dans les années 50 pour parer à cette lacune, on a crée dans les villages de Djélé, N’Tosso et Nampropéla le concept de Kanza.

Des groupes de travailleurs, cultivateurs ont decide de former des ensembles musicaux à partir des instruments traditionnels en melangeant la musique ancestrale et celle des jeunes. Le morceau “Samba The Trucker,” l’apprentis chauffeur est un exemple frappant de cette ouverture d’esprit. Conduire un vehicule est un nouveau métier, donc il faut une nouvelle musique.

Les nouveaux elements du concept Kanza sont”
    - L’exécution rapide de la musique.
    - La combinaison de sons divers.
    - La danse pour tous.
    - Plus d’espace pour l’improvisation tout en respectant les règles fondamentales de la musique: Pas de folie>

Un orchestre de Kanza est compose de:
    - 2 Balafons (mere et petit)
    - 2 Bafoko (mere et petit)
    - 1 Tama (Talking drum)
    - 1 N’Pingoueré (Dounouba) avec une cloche
    - 1 Haranga
    - Deux chanteurs solistes.
    - Et surtout, tous,les danseurs qui répondent aux leders tout en dansant en cercle.

Partant des principes de base du Kanza j’ai transpose les instruments traditionnels sur les instruments occidentaux. Mon heritage peulh m’a poussé à adopter le violon et la saxophone pour les solo. Les autres instruments sont: une guitare électrique et une basse électrique, la battérie, le tama, le bafoko, deux djembés, un chanteur et un choeur. Ce mélange donne un son unique en son genre. Mon ami Chinois docteur Han m’a dit, «Ta musique ressemble á celle de l’est de la Chine.» J’ai bien rigolé, si je peux vendre ma musique en chine je serais l’homme le plus riche de la terre. Il me suffirait de vendre un disque par tête à un dollar pour etre un milliardaire. Kanza c’est le passé, le present et le future en même temps.

Les Titres:

1. Samba The Trucker: C’est le comportement vulgaire d’un apprentis chauffeur.

2. Sewa Nimo: Cette chanson parle de la jalousie, la haine gratuite, la cupidité qui sont les fleaux de l’humanité. Le chanteur trouve son exil et sa paix interieurs dans le tam-tam et le balafon. En pensant aux plus beaux oiseaux Miniankala “Tiori” et “Kossara” il souhaite avoir une beauté interieure comme celle des plumages de ces deux creatures divines.

3. Gifono: On a donné ce titre à cette musique à l’honneur de Gifono Koné l’un des fondateurs du concept Kanza. A l’origine la chanson parle de la débrouillardise. Chacun a ses moyens. «L’oiseau n’a pas de mammelles, mais il nourrit quand même ses petits.» « Quand le crocodile decide de s’acheter un pantaloon, ne lui demandez pas où il va mettre sa queue. Il a déjà tout prévu.»

4. Chechon (La Moufette): En fait il n’y a pas de moufette en Afrique mais nous avons son parent qu’on appelle chechon. Personne n’aime la moufette, mais elle s’aime, s’adore. Il y a des histories d’amour entre moufettes. La nouvelle generation a appris à appris à se detester. «Les enfants sont inconsolables; ils pleurent tout le temps,» dit la maman moufette. Le père répond: «Allez, les petits, soyez fiers de vous. Le monde appartient à tout le monde» En conclusion, qui que tu sois, sois fier de soi.

5. Forgeron: On chante les louanges du forgeron: homme de savoir; maître du feu, de l’eau et du bois; sorcier initiateur du Komo (société secretes des hommes).

6. Nakan: Cette chanson parle de la violence conjugale. Un homme fou d’amour pour une femme tente le tout pour le tout pour la conquérir. La femme dit à son amoureux aveuglé, têtu et tenace. «Si je dis que je ne taime pas, ce n’est pas une raison de me prendre en otage, de m’empoisoner l’existence, bref de me tuer.»

7. Téli: C’est un appel au patriotisme. Qui que tu sois où que tu sois, il ne faut jamais oublier tes origins, ta patrie. Au fait, cette chanson vient de N’Togo, une autre forme de musique et de danse sans instruments. Je l’ai dédiée à mon fils Téli Diallo, d’où son nom Téli.

8. Makanou: C’est pour lea apôtres de l’amour infini. J’ai le cafard; c’est à cause de l’Amour. Je suis très malade. Ma maladie s’appele l’Amour. Je suis triste; c’est la faute de l’amour. Je suis stressé et déprimé; il n’y a que l’Amour à blamer. …etc. Je serais herueux s’il n’y avait pas cd fléau social qu’on appelle couramment et inutilement “Amour” avec un grand “A.”

Yaya Diallo