Black People : Yassin Bey (Mos Def) Force Fed voluntarily

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Alarm Clock, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
  2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    omg...why? :(

This raises a number of issues on many levels, but watching this also made me think of our right to die.

3. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Ok..I'm going to have to call BS on this. I've had to have medical things done that required me to have a inserted in my nose, and down my throat, and into my stomach. This is drama... Sorry bruh,...I can't get with this. BTw, I've had to do this 3 times.

Peace!

4. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    its a 4 min film made by human rights organization award winning director Asif Kapadia. Mos Def was just experiencing the procedure. I saw this on another site. The comments about this film was so ignoble, i stopped reading.

5. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928

There is a moment where this is uncomfortable, but once it get into your throat, it's cool. I've never have, or seen the other countless patients react this way. I once worked in a hospital, I go to the Va and I see vets go through it, I've done it myself 3 times. And I'm telling you much of this is theatrics. Now, I watched it several times. I saw them insert the tube, he was calm, then I saw them grab him and pull the tube out. Where was the feeding? I saw nothing go through the tube, it stayed clear the whole time?

I applaud his efforts but this is drama. If you know any medical professional, ask them about it.

Peace!

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Bro. Enki, given your experience, do you think there would be a difference in how it would feel when you compared the procedure being performed under calmer, more precise circumstances as opposed to forcing the situation on someone who violently rejected it?

I'm also curious to know what Mos Def video recorded this anyway? What was the whole purpose? And that question is directed to anyone who might know the answer or have ideas as to why.

7. DrSeide

DrSeide Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +25
    i saw this clip a few days ago, it's gruesome... Mos Def brought a lot of attention to this situation

8. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    Enki...
    Gotcha. You're probably lovely to work with. Not 'ooching and ouching' throughout the experience. *laugh*
    Everyone doesn't have the same pain tolerance, though. I can't tell how much was inserted. I was trying. Maybe Mos Def has never had someone drop an NG on him? Good for him, I say. *smirk*

Also, you’ve gotta consider HOW they’re doing the procedure...y'know? NG tube insertions are pretty uncomfortable. Pulling it out is uncomfortable.
    But... when you don't check the patency of the nostril (first of all) before you hold someone down and jam it up their nare? Yeah, that can be painful. Meaning: You’re supposed to stop when you hit resistance... and resistance was felt or why else was the pt (mos def) screaming, backing up and crying...?
    He’s not that good of an actor.
    *laugh*

It's not like you grab the tube and stick it in and it just goes down easily for everyone. Notice that they connected the tube to the syringe BEFORE they even inserted it?
    ...and the medical staff was just going to... what - dump liquid nutrition in there, all willy-nilly?

That’s bad practice. Small things lead to major issues, all I'll say about that.
    When you drop an NG tube – like most feeding tubes -- you’ve gotta check placement (making sure that it’s in the stomach) and 'residuals' (how much food/liquid are in the stomach) BEFORE you administer the feedings. Every time you give a feeding and every shift.
    Why?

Well, what if the tube’s not in the stomach? What if it’s still curled up in the throat? What if it’s in a lung? It's difficult to insert a tube in a struggling and tense pt, in the first place. I'd imagine. I mean - you don't do things like that so I wouldn't know. *laugh* But I do know that the swallowing action comes in handy with easing the tube down the pt's throat. For instance, when they swallow? You advance the tube further down.

People absolutely have the right to die, I guess you could say. If these prisoners want to starve, that is their right. You can talk to them and encourage them to eat. You can offer them food every day but you can’t just strap anyone down – physically hold them down -- and make them eat. Not even one who isn’t alert/oriented. You can’t use restraints like that, either...to force him to eat...for the convenience of the staff.

If this is what’s going on in Guantanamo then it’s clearly abuse. Where 'patient care' and 'human rights' are concerned.

Anyway – ‘right to die’...
    If a person on their last leg (CHF with various ‘end stage’ issues) wants to smoke a cigarette? You give them that cigarette and put them on 02 afterwards. *laugh*
    Different medical/nursing specialties (I guess you could say) will see the issue differently. They have a different mindset and sometimes it’s difficult to shift from trying to make the ‘save’ to easing a life on into ‘the beyond’. It can be a difficult transition.

{My first hospice pt, I was practically afraid to give the Rox (morphine roxanol) when the respirations slowed to a crawl and w/apnea. I KNEW that it was better to administer hourly to maintain the levels in the body and ‘stay on top of that pain’/ease comfort, so to speak. I KNEW that it hurt the pt to dilly-dally around on the matter. I KNEW the benefits of those meds.
    Hell, I’ve always said that I want to ‘go out’ high as a damned kite! *laugh* Give me some SOMA – my ‘medical heroine’ and ativan – let me drift off to La La Land and die in peace. I don’t want any of that sublingual mess, either. Shoot me up! Pop these veins. I need it good and potent.
    *laugh*
    But...no matter what I knew, I couldn’t get past the feeling that I was ‘killing the pt’. It took a long time for me to get over that. Even now...when someone’s actively dying, your hand is always being forced to give those meds by family members and such. They’re right to do it, of course. I mean - that’s how it should be done and anyone who has an actively dying loved one deserves a nurse who has the balls to ‘pull the trigger’...for the pt’s own good/care/comfort. Sometimes, it’s difficult to tell the difference between palliative care and euthanasia. The line blurs too easily.
    But..it’s a wonderful thing and hospice is one of those specialties that possess what many who seek nursing envision themselves doing: Providing 1x1 care. Holding their hand. Talking to them. Bathing them. Comforting. Reading to them. Listening to them. Hospice and HH are the only places that you’ll get this exp honestly.
    Nowhere in the hospital is like that...and, unlike the hospital, at least you can have a relationship with nursing home residents. The ward/ICUs are filled with anal-retentive, germphobic and hypercritical folk...and the ED (emergency dept)?
    I'll tell you this, in all honesty: Show me an ED nurse (or ED doc) who isn’t jaded or/and cynical and I’ll show you a 'new grad' (or ‘baby doc’) with <6 mths of exp, who still thinks they can ‘save the world’.
    You see the ugliness and stupidity of people in the ED. It can wear on you. Tire you out.
    Of course, every now and again - you’ll hear an overhead page for the STEMI en-route to your facility via Amb or someone will walk in and collapse through the doors. YES!!! It’s pts like this who remind you why you wanted to be a kick-a..s ER nurse in the first place.... But, in the meantime, you’ve gotta deal with the drug-seekers, the ‘too stupid to function’ pts, the homeless looking for 3 hots and a cot, the non-mentally ill a-holes, the ‘emergency’ pregnancy tests, the ‘I just need an excuse for work’ types, the entitlement issued ‘we were here first, I don’t care whose presently sick/dying’ sort, the violent/combative pts, the uninsured and illegal with non-emergent issues tying up the staff with their bulls...t -- Girrrrl...don’t even get me started on the ED and some of these hot mess a..s pt's!
    I'm not in the midst of other nursing/medical professionals but I'm still gonna let my hair down on this subject.

Ever heard of someone going to the ED for a 'head-lice emergency'? They rode the d-mned amb to the hospital, too! Didn't see for myself but I bet the EMTs were p-ssed! I tried to not judge. I tried. It was obviously a financial issue, i.e., no vehicle. No money to buy NIX, etc.... You just get so tired of being unable to get to the truly sick because of people who treat the Emergency Dept like it's a freakin' 24-hour 'care clinic'. You don't know where to direct your silent frustration.

I’ll be glad when Obama’s new healthcare mandate kicks in full force. Bad for business, perhaps. Bad for a segment of the population’s wallet but good for the hospital. Hopefully, the ‘newly insured’ with their routine issues will be funneled AWAY from the emergency dept.}

However - for those who work hospice? It’s clear-cut. They’re circling the drain, anyway. It’s a quality of life matter. It’s a simple life pleasure for them and if it brings a dying pt pleasure to smoke a cigarette? Light them up!

By that token, I absolutely support physician-assisted suicide. Dr. Kevorkian went about it an extreme fashion, but he did so to draw attention to the matter. For those individuals who are terminal, they have the right to see themselves off gracefully. Not hooked up to machines with tubes flowing from every orifice (natural or artificial). Not in pain and suffering. Not potentially having their ribs cracked while the nurse or code team repeatedly snatches them back from death’s door. I could look at some of my residents (thank God they’re all DNR) and see that, for instance, doing chest compressions on a 90 lb 92 year old lady with COPD style ‘barrel-chest’...would not end well for her. D’you know how long it takes for rib fx’s to heal? I mean -- the pt’s already half dead. Now, they have to be in severe pain every time they draw breathe or move, too!
    Risk > Benefit
    ... but at least mama’s alive, right?:rolleyes:
    Bravo.
    >>Mimi claps<<
    Bravo, ‘pt’s family members who decided that coding a 92 yr old woman would be a good idea’. Bravo.

As I said somewhere up top, family members tend to force your hands in hospice. They just want ‘mom’ or ‘dad’ to ‘suffer no more’...and I’m glad for them. No matter what. They ‘get’ it.
    This is good, though.

Anything is better than the waffling and stubborn resistance that usually takes place at the non-hospice dying pt’s bedside...from family members who will not respect the dying members wishes. Who will not let go.
    ...but it’s just a very unfortunate thing that our society is so fearful of ‘end-of-life’ issues. When done properly - in accordance to a pt’s wishes - the passing of a life can be a very beautiful thing. It’s not murder. It’s a kindness. Mercy. A human being has the right to die in peace and with dignity.
    FYI:

It's not morbid. It's the truth.

9. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    These unanswered questions are the reason I don't like threads with only a video (as this one) or a link, and no commentary. The thread-starter could at least give his/her opinion, considering they thought it important or interesting enough to share. :10500:

10. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Thank you for asking this question sista Queen...

I've seen this done on new patients, and patients that knew what to expect. All of what you saw was uncalled for and acting. I'm 6'4 and weight 270, and it takes one person to put mine in, and take it out. On the net, they have a 10yr old girl putting her in herself. And I admitted that there is some movement, and this movement varies. But once you get passed a certain point, it is no need for all of that. Little kids (babies)are the worst but even they stop after you get out of the nasal cavity and into the throat. He even said this himself. There is an agenda, and he, and his human rights group friends knows that if you saw the real deal, you wouldn't be that shocked. When they take this tube out, they just pull it, and it's so fast, you hardly have time to react.

This is why I encourage members to ask a medical professional if they knew one.

Did you noticed that they never sent anything through the tube? This violent action you see is not the way it is done, they don't grab you at all, you are held down buy you arms/shoulders to calm, and steady you..."If you need it"......

Also, if they have a tube down your throat, why put you in a choke hold? People go to work, eat, bend over,etc. while having this tube in. But he can't take it lying down?...Please...He should be ashamed of himself.

A few fact, he changed is name to a Muslim one, and he sees himself the same as them...I have no problem with that.

He seems to doing the same a Christopher Hitchens when Hitchens had himself filmed while being water boarded and received

He is campaigning with a human's rights group called Reprieve. All groups such as this has an agenda, and will use any means to get that agenda across.

Here are some examples.

This is how it suppose to, and do go.

Peace!